• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC “Atomic Arcade”— WotC’s New Digital Platform?

WotC has applied for a trademark for “Atomic Arcade”. The application was made late last month, and covers: Downloadable electronic games to be used in connection with computers, console gaming devices, and wireless devices Fantasy role playing games, board games, trading card games, and collectible toy figures Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games and interactive...

WotC has applied for a trademark for “Atomic Arcade”. The application was made late last month, and covers:
  • Downloadable electronic games to be used in connection with computers, console gaming devices, and wireless devices
  • Fantasy role playing games, board games, trading card games, and collectible toy figures
  • Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games and interactive multiplayer online computer games via a global network

1747059F-FBAE-4E84-ABA5-1472765AA3EC.jpeg

Earlier in the year, rumours spread regarding WotC’s plans for its own virtual tabletop platform (VTT) following a survey in which they gauged opinions and allegedly showed off graphically rich 3D screenshots.

D7AB56AE-A866-4333-9E26-3D96E3D7B751.jpeg

“TSDR” is the application’s status which reads:
LIVE/APPLICATION/Awaiting Examination
The trademark application has been accepted by the Office (has met the minimum filing requirements) and has not yet been assigned to an examiner.

New application will be assigned to an examining attorney approximately 6 months after filing date.

darjr

I crit!
Wasn’t the DDI vtt a third party that WotC bought it from after they were almost done with it? I remember they were running out of money.

Anyway in the DDI support forums I asked a question about something and the a lead WotC developer who just had a DDI article written about him, came crashing in like an angry ton of bricks. I’m almost certain I didn’t deserve it.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, something like that. It's a while ago. But, no, I'm not talking about that 3d VTT thing they promised and never delivered.

They had a fully functional VTT in the DDI. It was in Beta when it finally got the plug pulled. Was fantastic. Came built in with VoIP plus voice changing for the DM, so you could do funny voices, LOS years before Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds had it (although Maptool did have it at the time) and it was slowly being granted full access to the DDI database, so you could pull any class, monster or image from the entire 4e library in.

Like I said, if they too that program, which was in beta at the time, married it to the D&D Beyond database, and then set, say, a 10 dollar a month subscription on it, I'd be first in line with bells on. It was that good. And I say this as someone who's used a lot of the VTT programs out there.

I have to admit, I've always been utterly baffled why WotC or Paizo hasn't done this.

darjr

I crit!
@Hussar yea. That was the second (third) attempt at a 4e in house vtt. I think those developers stayed independent the whole time. I remember talking to one or two of them and they were pretty chill.
I can’t remember thier names or thier company name. All that went away with the WotC forums dying.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I also just realized: 2 different VTT.

So maybe part of it is late DDI--which is like other stuff out there that WotC has been supporting. (Roll 20 with the D&D add ins, has pretty much all that functionality, and probably some of what was promised if they hadn't shut DDI down.)

But the wider Atomic Arcade: that is totally Gleemax.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads