WotC “Atomic Arcade”— WotC’s New Digital Platform?

WotC has applied for a trademark for “Atomic Arcade”. The application was made late last month, and covers:
  • Downloadable electronic games to be used in connection with computers, console gaming devices, and wireless devices
  • Fantasy role playing games, board games, trading card games, and collectible toy figures
  • Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games and interactive multiplayer online computer games via a global network

1747059F-FBAE-4E84-ABA5-1472765AA3EC.jpeg

Earlier in the year, rumours spread regarding WotC’s plans for its own virtual tabletop platform (VTT) following a survey in which they gauged opinions and allegedly showed off graphically rich 3D screenshots.

D7AB56AE-A866-4333-9E26-3D96E3D7B751.jpeg

“TSDR” is the application’s status which reads:
LIVE/APPLICATION/Awaiting Examination
The trademark application has been accepted by the Office (has met the minimum filing requirements) and has not yet been assigned to an examiner.

New application will be assigned to an examining attorney approximately 6 months after filing date.

Last edited:

The history of business, specifically marketing, is riddled with colossally bad blunders. I have no doubt that Hasbro would not care one whit whether DBB and Roll 20 customers being cheesed off by they subscriptions rendered valueless, if Hasbro execs and accountants believe it will improve Hasbro's profit picture. The only business relationship I think Hasbro truly values in the D&D business side is Critical Role, which sadly, is driving so much of D&D's revenues. The damage that CR is doing to the game is incalculable, but it is driving sales. DBB and Roll 20 are driving a tiny fraction of sales compared to CR.

So yeah, I am sure the execs at DBB and Roll20 are indeed very worried, and on the phone to Hasbro.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The history of business, specifically marketing, is riddled with colossally bad blunders. I have no doubt that Hasbro would not care one whit whether DBB and Roll 20 customers being cheesed off by they subscriptions rendered valueless, if Hasbro execs and accountants believe it will improve Hasbro's profit picture. The only business relationship I think Hasbro truly values in the D&D business side is Critical Role, which sadly, is driving so much of D&D's revenues. The damage that CR is doing to the game is incalculable, but it is driving sales. DBB and Roll 20 are driving a tiny fraction of sales compared to CR.

So yeah, I am sure the execs at DBB and Roll20 are indeed very worried, and on the phone to Hasbro.
I think you are giving Hasbro way too much credit in their concern over what happens with D&D. If anything... after they supposedly made that 50 million dollar referendum regarding 4E and saw it blow up in their face... they have been nothing but hands-off with D&D since then. They've let WotC handle their own business and thus far it's succeeded beyond what anybody probably expected. So to think that Hasbro execs are coming in now to lay a heavy hand on what WotC is doing seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Also, I think you used the word "incalculable" correctly regarding your belief of their damage to Dungeons & Dragons. It's incalculable because there are no numbers in existence to actually make calculations with. Critical Role has done NO damage whatsoever to the game. The game itself is absolutely fine. The only so-called "damage" has been to people who don't like playing in the same style CR does... and thus all the new players who have been introduced into the game learning and enjoying that CR style are not viable candidates to join those other player's games. But that's too bad. Those non-CR style players have no rights to how the game is played any more than CR style fans do, and if they can't find players to play in the style they want... too bad for them.

darjr

I crit!
What’s changed with WotC is they are now one of the Pillars of Hasbro.

I wonder if that gives them more leeway and better freedom with more risky spending.

I am not going address the hatred you clearly have for traditional players of D&D.

WRT to the business side, the Atomic Arcade platform is clearly being designed to handle ALL of Hasbro's digital offerings. WOTC is still a fraction of Hasbro. Q3 Revenue for Hasbro was 1.9 billion. The Wizards and Digital (W&D) platform's revenue was 360 million, and that platform includes the Magic franchise. So no, D&D is not the tail wagging the dog.

It is extremely likely the Arcade digital platform will be run under the W&D umbrella, but D&D will remain a small part of it, and wiping out Roll20 and/or DBB would be an afterthought. If Hasbro has plans to produce their own VTT, it would make perfect sense to have that VTT tied directly to Hasbro's Digital Platform.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
WOTC is still a fraction of Hasbro.

Um... it is a very big, very important fraction at this point.

"...the WotC and Digital Gaming segment is over $112 million more than the operating profit for Hasbro’s entire consumer products segment, which includes its massive toy business and all the rest of its games. "

Now, most of that is Magic: the Gathering, not D&D, but still.

Nope, you are not even close. Consumer Division Q3 profit = 210.4 million. W&D profit = 159.4 milion, and that includes Magic items.
Not sure how this will format, but it is straight from the Hasbro website:

Major Segments ($ Millions)Net RevenuesOperating
Profit
(Loss)
Adjusted
Operating Profit (Loss)1
Q3 2021Q3 2020% ChangeQ3
Q3 2020Q3 2021Q3 2020
Consumer Products$1,282.7 $1,317.8 -3%$210.4 $226.2 $210.4 $226.2
Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming$360.2 $273.4 32%$159.4 $141.6 $159.4 $141.6
Entertainment$327.1 $185.4 76%$22.4 $(28.3) $42.1 $(3.6)

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Nope, you are not even close. Consumer Division Q3 profit = 210.4 million. W&D profit = 159.4 milion, and that includes Magic items.
Not sure how this will format, but it is straight from the Hasbro website:

Major Segments ($ Millions)Net RevenuesOperating
Profit
(Loss)
Adjusted
Operating Profit (Loss)1
Q3 2021Q3 2020% ChangeQ3
Q3 2020Q3 2021Q3 2020
Consumer Products$1,282.7$1,317.8-3%$210.4$226.2$210.4$226.2
Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming$360.2$273.432%$159.4$141.6$159.4$141.6
Entertainment$327.1$185.476%$22.4$(28.3)$42.1$(3.6)
That table got pretty mangled. Could you post a link instead of copy-pasting? That might make it easier for readers to parse the info.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases