• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1e Play Report

Halivar

First Post
I think this thread is exposing some of the aesthetic differences that were at the heart of the Great Edition Wars (tm).

For my part, I am looking forward to a more handwave-y system when I start my 1e campaign in earnest, simply for the fact that one of my biggest pet peeves is having to crack the book open every time I or another player uses a skill. My plan so far is simply say "roll under the relevant ability, plus or minus situational modifiers," and we'll see how that works out.

By the time I gave up on 1e, I had dozens of pages of house rules and that wasn't counting the extensive rules sets I was importing from Dragon magazine in my count. Moreover, I'd be very surprised if your three pages of house rules fully enumerated the errata you are applying to your game. Until you've gone through every page of every book in use at your table and done a, "This text supercedes that text.", you don't really know how many house rules you had. When I started my house rules project, I thought I only had a couple of dozen pages. When it reached over 100 pages, I realized that I pretty much needed to just rewrite the whole book.

I played 1e for more than a decade with probably 8 different DM's. I never played at one table that only had 3 pages of house rules. If you only have 3 pages of house rules, your the most by the book 1e DM I've ever met - and I was by the book enough that I used the 'to hit vs. AC' weapon tables. Except, I ended up tweaking them. ;)

I don't use "to hit vs. AC" tables. I don't use weapon speed other than to break initiative ties. There is no way I'd ever write 100 pages of house rules. The whole idea for me with running 1e is to get away from huge rulebooks. Writing 100 pages of house rules constitutes a huge rulebook when added to the rules as written. I do indeed have 3 pages of house rules. Is EVERY possible situation covered in those house rules? Absolutely not. But the most important stuff that my players need to know is covered. There is still plenty of room for handwaving and DM fiat.

...Snip lots of stuff about Search checks...

I will only say that I much prefer the players to tell me where or what they are searching and how they are doing it than relying on a Search skill check to accomplish the same thing. I understand that in 3e you can require the player to be explicit before the skill check but I prefer the "tell me what you are looking at and where you are looking and I tell you what you find" method, eliminating the rolling of dice. That is not to say that I haven't tossed dice to determine if the PCs find something. There is a mechanism for that in 1e for finding secret doors for instance. I just prefer to allow player ingenuity to stand in place of rolling dice for searching whenever possible.

True of high level 1e as well because I've been there. Of course, I've also experience 1e high level play where the initiative check could be considered 'mid-combat' because most combat in the first round - if it wasn't actually over in the suprise round. High level 1e PC's are just enormously powerful if the DM doesn't keep an extreme check on the game.

Sure, if the DM has given out too much magic, or too much wealth. But in general, I don't see it. A 10th level 3e PC vs. a 10th level 1e PC, there is no contest. The base 3e PC is far more powerful. Whether the 3e PC needs to be more powerful because the opposition he faces is more powerful as well is an argument for another time.

I'll grant that to a certain extent, but what I've lost in prep efficiency since the 1e era I've more than made up for with the power of the word processor. However, if I tweaked my expectations abit, I could prep for 3e in exactly the same time it took me to prep for 1e.

Then you are far better at this than I am. 1e prep for me is infinitely faster. I can stat up an NPC in 1e in minutes. In 3e, if I need an NPC enemy, I have to build him like a PC in order to make sure he is a sufficient challenge for the group. He needs feats, skills, spells, equipment, just like the PCs have. In 1e, I can assign attributes, hit points and note equipment and class abilities and spells and I'm done. I don't have to spend time grabbing feats, etc. That is just one example that sticks out for me.

Not that much longer than 1e unless you are referencing a monster manual entry, in which case they are about the same length. I'm willing to bet that you ignore the psionic stat block for high level monsters in your game (which would require you to select disciplines), and that you ignore the fact that in the 1e text, the monster powers tend to be part of the text and not part of the stat block.

I disagree. The stat blocks I am referring to are those in published modules. In 1e, they are as simple as:

Worker Ants (AC 3, HD 2, hp 8 each, MV 180 ft., #AT 1 bite, D
1-6, AL N).

In 3e they look more like this:

Ogres: CR 3; Large Giant; HD 4d8+11; hp 29; Init -1;
Spd 30 ft.; AC 16, touch 8, flat-footed 16; Base Atk +3;
Grp +12; Atk/Full Atk +8 melee (2d8+7/x2, greatclub) or
javelin +1 ranged (1d8+5/x2, javelin); Space/Reach 10
ft./10 ft.; SA –; SQ Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; AL
CE; SV Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +1; Str 21, Dex 8, Con 15,
Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7.
Skills and Feats: Climb +5, Listen +2, Spot +2;
Toughness, Weapon Focus (greatclub).
Possessions: greatclub, dagger, javelins (4), hide
armor, 10 gp.

You can find examples of this by comparing modules side by side. Stat blocks are larger nearly every time in 3e modules as opposed to 1e. There is more to keep track of after all because the rules are more complex. Not just one AC but several (touch, flat footed), Space/Reach, Saves (which in 3e are easier because I can look at the monsters hit dice and compare to my DM screen for a Fighter of that level and they don't need to be in the stat block), Feats and Skills, etc. And if I were to post comparisons of NPCs rather than monster stat blocks, again 3e blocks are much longer and more complex. If you could find a stat block in 3e that was shorter than a stat block in 1e, in my experience it would be the exception rather than the rule.

The thing is, most people who play 1e do play minimalist 1e.

Maybe, but not something I'm willing to speculate on further because I don't have evidence of this one way or the other.

On that I also agree with you. That isn't to say however that I still want to use its rules, but for all its problems of editting, it's still the best written and most inspiring RPG supplement of all time.

Woo hoo! We finally agree on something! ;)

And that is the voice of inexperience. I don't doubt that that is your experience, but give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm conveying a real experience to you instead of saying, "No, that couldn't happen. That's impossible", as if you could convince me that I didn't experience what I have experienced.

I hope you mean the voice of inexperience with regards to my understanding of your game. I have plenty of experience with D&D. I've been playing D&D since 1979. Started with 1e, played some Basic/Expert back in those days as well. Move to 2e in the late 80s. Move to 3e when it was released and then to 3.5 and finally Pathfinder before moving back to 1e last summer. I've played and run every edition of D&D save for OD&D and 4e. I've DM'd far more often than played, probably about a 70/30 or 80/20 split over the 33+ years I've been playing.

As far as convincing you that you didn't experience something, that is far from what I am trying to do. I don't expect to convince you of anything. I have already stated previously that "to each his own" with regards to editions of D&D.

Not in your opinion, but rather, in your experience. First edition can generate just as big hit and damage bonuses as 3e and just as much a feel of superheroes in a fantasy setting. The big difference between the two games is that 1e monsters are, barring new invention by the DM, rather capped in their abilities. Whereas 3e monsters are not so capped (or handicapped) and can match any player power and ability with powers and abilities of their own. While it is true that the raw numbers are somewhat higher in 3e, in 1e the PC's numbers tend to be higher than the monsters - and ultimately much higher - while in 3e the monsters numbers tend to be much larger than that of any one PC.

In my opinion AND in my experience. I disagree about 1e generating just as big hit and damage bonuses as 3e. That is simply not the case. I ran a campaign of 3.5 for my group four or five years ago that went from level 1 to 11. By the time the ranger in the party was level 11, he was +20 to hit with his first arrow (attack bonus, Dex bonus, feats, magic, etc.). And because of his level and feat combinations, he could fire multiple arrows every round at slightly lower bonuses from rapid shot, manyshot, etc. There is no way an 11th level ranger in 1e is going to have a +20 bonus to hit. First off, the 1e ranger doesn't have a base attack bonus. I compare his level to a chart on a DM screen or in the DMG. That covers base attack bonus. If the ranger is lucky enough to have an 18 Dexterity, he is +3 to hit with his bow from that. If his bow and/or arrows are magical, he would add those bonuses as well. So maybe with some decent magical arrows our 11th level ranger is +6 to hit. And the same goes for damage bonuses. The 1e ranger doesn't even come close. He might be 1d6+3 for damage with say a +3 magical arrow. The 3e ranger might have his strength bonus added in to his damage, his arrows do more damage, and at 11th level he can fire three per round as opposed to the 1e ranger who can fire 2 per round. No contest in my opinion and my experience.

I partially agree. However, it's worth noting that the 1e orc probably does 1d6 damage, where as the 3e stock orc does 1d12+3 damage. And that's just a non-leader orc. In 3e there is a much better chance that all the orcs are 4HD warriors with elite stat arrays and feats of their own. So how frail a character in either edition is can't be evaluated in isolation, but only in comparison to what he is facing.

The 1e orc does "1d8 or by weapon type". The 3e orc does "2d4+4 (falchion)". Nothing is stopping me from giving an orc a two handed sword in 1e, or a polearm. The 1e orc has 1d8 hit points, the 3e orc has 1d8+1. The 1e orc is AC 6, the 3e orc is AC 13 (equivalent to AC7 in 1e). The monster manual entry for the 1e orc covers leaders, lieutenants, etc. In 1e, I can just as easily add hit dice to an orc as you can in 3e. You are opening a whole new can of worms here. There is nothing in 1e that states I can't make the stock creatures tougher. That isn't just a 3e feature. 3e might have taken pains to add rules for this or to encourage this but it was still easy enough to do in 1e. From what I have read, Gygax himself had kobolds that were far different than the stock version.

And in the long run, that 1e fighter can with a reasonable CON bonus expect to exceed the hit points of every single monster he fights. A high level 1e fighter can have over 100 hit points, more than pretty much every non-unique monster in the book. And once he gets his AC in the -4 to -6 range, every monster he faces is going to need nearly a 20 to hit him because monster to hit is capped at paltry 16HD and mosters generally don't have to hit bonuses. The same cannot be said of the 3e.

A 12 level fighter stops receiving d10s for hit dice at level 9. At level 10 and above, he gets +3 hit points per level. If he maxed out every hit point roll he would have 99 hit points at level 12. If he had an 18 Con, he would have 147 hit points at level 12 if he maxed all hit point rolls. The 12th level 3e fighter with 18 Con would have 168 hit points if he maxed all his hit point rolls. It is far more likely that the 1e fighter with 18 Con at 12th level would have around 90-100 hit points. The same 3e fighter would likely have 110-120. There are plenty of challenges for the 1e fighter and as I said just a bit earlier in this post, the 1e DM can just as easily modify his monsters hit dice, attacks, or whatever. As for AC, -4 to -6 is difficult to attain in 1e. Plate and shield is AC2. +5 Plate and +3 Shield would be -6. That is some pretty potent stuff. I don't think every 12th level fighter is going to have magical armor of that potency. But this depends on how much control the DM has on his game and the proliferation of magic items that the PCs are allowed to acquire. But I can see a 1e 12th level fighter with a -3 or -4 AC. That being said, a stock 11 hit die Fire Giant needs a 14 to hit the fighter with a -4 AC. An 8 hit die Hill Giant needs a 16 to hit him. It isn't until you get down to the 4 or 5 hit die creatures that they need 20s to hit him. By the same token, the 12th level fighter in 3e is likely at AC of 25+. Full plate +3, Heavy Steel Shield +3, is AC26. That is not counting feats or high Dex.

Again, those are play style statements. Depending on the DM/campaign, 1e leveled as fast or faster than 3e. It sounds like you and me both favor slower leveling, but its easy to see from something like the GDQ adventure path or 'Temple of Elemental Evil' that 1e supports fast leveling as well.

In my experience, 1e and 2e leveled far more slowly than 3e. Even by the book in 1e awarding experience for magic items and treasure along with monsters defeated, it can take a long time to level. Sure, I will agree that a DM can make it faster. Ignoring the by the book rules for awarding experience would allow a DM of either edition to make the leveling faster. I've heard of some DMs handwaving leveling. "Okay, two sessions have passed so you are all level 3 now." But by the book, when I ran 3e we leveled faster than we do in 1e. And I am currently running Temple of Elemental Evil for my group. The first few levels went by quickly as they cleared out the moathouse. They are now on the first level of the Temple dungeon after having dealt with the upper areas of the Temple and the intact corner tower full of bandits. They have explored about half of the first level of the dungeon. After the moathouse they were all level 4. Since they have started at the actual Temple itself, we have gone several 6+ hour sessions with no leveling at all. I am giving xp for treasure, magic and monsters by the book. Of course, if they overlook items of treasure, which happens from time to time, they miss a bit of xp that might have leveled them a bit faster.

As I said, 1e play balance broke much harder in favor of the PC's than it does in 3e.

I still don't see this at all. But to each his own.

I first want to point out that for most of my time at EnWorld I've been one of the 1e defenders, and in another context I probably would be. Believe it or not, there are threads on EnWorld where me and Water Bob are on the same side of defending 1e play and 1e style play. However, I wanted to post about my experience of actually playing 1e after years away from it and how it made me much more sympathetic to those that really don't like it. And, I was curious as to what the defenders of 1e would say to my experience. To a certain extent, I expected a bit of the general 'You aren't a strong enough DM' bias and a lot the advice about how to run a game, which - in the context of who they are telling it too - is a bit redundant since its pretty much how I've been advising and telling people to run any game - whether 1e or 3e - for years now. I'm still hoping to learn something about why people like 1e more than 3e.

Well, I never said you weren't a strong DM. I don't know you so I wouldn't make such a generalization. And Water Bob explained what he meant by his strong vs weak DM argument.

I am a 1e defender because it is my system of choice and I have found my love of D&D again after moving back to 1e last summer.

I can understand that it isn't for everyone though as I've said multiple times in this thread. Just because I think its the best edition doesn't mean everyone else should or does.

Last edited:

I think this thread is exposing some of the aesthetic differences that were at the heart of the Great Edition Wars (tm).

For my part, I am looking forward to a more handwave-y system when I start my 1e campaign in earnest, simply for the fact that one of my biggest pet peeves is having to crack the book open every time I or another player uses a skill. My plan so far is simply say "roll under the relevant ability, plus or minus situational modifiers," and we'll see how that works out.

That's a big plus for many. I love the "handwaviness" of 1e. I like having to make rulings rather than rely on hard and fast rules. DM fiat appeals to me. Heck, sometimes I have even asked the player what he thinks would be an appropriate check to perform some action that he wanted to attempt.

Roll under the relevant ability is an easy and popular rule for task resolution in 1e. You can use a d20 for this roll and add or subtract modifiers or you could do something like have the player roll 2d6 under ability for an easy task, 3d6 for a moderate task, 4d6 for a hard task, etc. Having the ability to make a ruling on the fly as opposed to having to reference the book appeals to me and I'm sure others as well, just as I'm sure many hate all the hand-waving.

Celebrim

Legend

The great edition wars are ultimately a form of culture war. The big problem IMO at least is that people end up mistaking culture, style, and design for system. They then assert that various qualities that are a product of encounter design, play style, and table culture are inherent products of a system and that the system forces you to play in that way. Instead, the real difference is that based on examples of play, or based on a prevailing culture, people enter into a system with certain expectations about how to play and prepare for a game system.

Celebrim's second law of roleplaying says that, "How you prepare to play a system and how you think about playing a system is more important than the system." In other words, if you prepare to play and set about playing 'Dogs in the Vineyard' with a D&D mindset, that is, you make a map of dungeon, you design traps, you populate it with monsters, and then you have players who set about with the goal of killing things and taking their stuff, you'll end up even if you stick to the system playing something very much like D&D.

For my part, I am looking forward to a more handwave-y system when I start my 1e campaign in earnest...

This is a good example. How 'handwave-y' as you put it, a system is depends heavily on how the DM prepares for the game, how he expects to run it, and how the players expect to interact with the DM. Although the system may make it easier to encourage 'handwave-y' play, there is nothing about the two systems that demands you are more or less handwave-y than the other. Third edition creates a perception that it is less handwave-y than first edition by having a rules set that appears on first blush to be comprehensive. Part of this difference in perception is simply that the 3e rules are a lot better organized. Arguably the 1e rules are just as comprehensive, but they aren't compiled in any easily usuable form and many of the rules - like 'rolling under your ability score to resolve a difficult challenge' - while frequently cited as a resolution method by 1e DM's are basically house rules that have widespread use.

Part of the difference in perception is that 3e's appearance of being comprehensive tends to trick players into believing that the only valid propositions are those covered by the rules, and therefore they only propose to the DM things which are explicitly covered by the rules and therefore easy to adjudicate within them.

And part of the difference is that a culture of DMing arose that suggested that only things covered by the rules are allowable propositions and to 'say no' to everything else, even though in point of fact the rules didn't say anything of the sort.

But in point of fact, both systems are incomplete and require quite a bit of DM fiat and handwaving to run. You can see backlash to this within the culture of 3e itself, with ideas like, "Say 'Yes' or throw the dice.", rightly suggesting that too many 3e DM's had got locked into a mindset that what was not permitted by the rules was forbidden.

It's very easy to run 3e in a handwave-y fashion. The monster creation rules are still subject to rule zero; the DM is in no way obligated to follow them. And even if the DM desires to follow them, there is no reason to fill out the full skill stat block for every monster and make sure the math works given that the monster 99% of the time never needs to make Knowledge (History) checks. You can just include the relevant information, in the same way that in 1e prep you might just write 'John Smith' (F8) and hand wave John Smith off until he actually entered combat and you needed to know if he had a 16 Con or whatever. If you aren't certain about the DC of a skill check, then the answer is 15. If you miss a +1 modifier in your addition, 95% of the time it doesn't matter, just go with it. If you aren't certain how to adjudicate a stunt that the player wants to preform, give him a +3 circumstance modifier and run with it. If you aren't sure what the rule is, wing it and then look it up after the game.

A lot of 3e DM's no doubt run the game very much like that, and believe it or not, a lot of 1e DM's back in the day ran very precise games with minatures and worried about whether to monsters were 12' apart or only 10' apart, counted out the rounds by the segment, made sure that the claw/claw/bite reutine properly alternated attacks with the fighters 5/4 attacks per round according to the several pages of rules for determining initiative, figured in the -3 penalty that a long sword had to his AC 2 when calculating the to hit chance, etc. etc. How you experience the game is a matter of how you were trained to experience the game and the expectation you bring to the table.

Celebrim

Legend
I don't use "to hit vs. AC" tables. I don't use weapon speed other than to break initiative ties. There is no way I'd ever write 100 pages of house rules. The whole idea for me with running 1e is to get away from huge rulebooks. Writing 100 pages of house rules constitutes a huge rulebook when added to the rules as written.

In my experience, most 1e DM's - then and now - have an enormous body of house rules that they keep in their head under the lose heading of 'the way I do things'.

I do indeed have 3 pages of house rules. Is EVERY possible situation covered in those house rules? Absolutely not.

Then you don't have 3 pages of house rules. You have 3 pages of things you've considered important enough to write down because you've felt the need to communicate them, and who knows how many pages of stuff you've not considered important enough to write down. But make no mistake, these consitute a huge rule book of things you've memorized and relied on in play.

I will only say that I much prefer the players to tell me where or what they are searching and how they are doing it than relying on a Search skill check to accomplish the same thing. I understand that in 3e you can require the player to be explicit before the skill check but I prefer the "tell me what you are looking at and where you are looking and I tell you what you find" method, eliminating the rolling of dice. That is not to say that I haven't tossed dice to determine if the PCs find something. There is a mechanism for that in 1e for finding secret doors for instance. I just prefer to allow player ingenuity to stand in place of rolling dice for searching whenever possible

I will only say that what you've described is a far more complicated system than you think it is.

Sure, if the DM has given out too much magic, or too much wealth. But in general, I don't see it. A 10th level 3e PC vs. a 10th level 1e PC, there is no contest.

Sure, but that's not a valid measurement. You've fallen into a logical fallacy, and are starting to make me feel as if I'm the Conneticutt Yankee in King Author's Court.

You're arguing that 3e PC's can be compared with 1e PC's to determine their power. That's like arguing that if a person gets a $200 dollar a week salary in 2012, that he's objectively wealthier than a person who gets a $100 dollar a week salary in 1912. What you have to do is not compare the $200 in 2012 to the $100 in 1912, but compare how much you can buy in 1912 with $100 to how much you can buy with $200 in 2012. You'll find that money in 2012 and 1912 aren't perfectly comparable, but if you compare comparable things from one era to the other that $100 made one wealthy in 1912 but a pauper in 2012. The 10th level 3e PC can probably beat a 10th 1e PC head to head (all things being equal), but that's a ridiculous measurement. A 10th 3e PC is a fragile easily killed thing that has no chance of facing an iconic dragon. A 10th 1e PC is an epic figure capable of squaring off versus anything in the game and who is nearing the point where he will need to be retired because very little in the game is left to threaten him. If you really want to compare how things have changed, compare something like a 1e Balrog to a 3e Balrog and the expectations about when a PC would be able to face down such a threat.

In 3e, if I need an NPC enemy, I have to build him like a PC in order to make sure he is a sufficient challenge for the group. He needs feats, skills, spells, equipment, just like the PCs have. In 1e, I can assign attributes, hit points and note equipment and class abilities and spells and I'm done. I don't have to spend time grabbing feats, etc. That is just one example that sticks out for me.

I'll grant that to a certain extent. Except that grabbing feats is one of least time consuming jobs in creating an NPC. In both 1e and 3e you'll still need to note equipment, and assign spells. The extra burden of assigning feats is a small extra burden. By far the most time consuming thing in 3e is assigning skill points, but there you can often simply leave the task undone until you need it - much as you would in 1e.

I disagree. The stat blocks I am referring to are those in published modules. In 1e, they are as simple as:

Thanks for the example. It will be very useful for making my point.

First of all, you didn't compare like to like. You'd need to compare ogres to ogres to make a good comparison. The ogre picks up an extra line by virtue of needing possessions.

Secondly, I agree that in general the 3e stat block is 1-2 lines longer than the equivalent 1e stat block, but there is a kicker. The 3e stat block is complete. The 1e stat block is not. The first edition stat block simply tells you what tables to reference, and includes only the most commonly used information about the monster.

It doesn't for example address the question: Do worker ants have infravision? You'd have to look that up. Also, the typical 1e stat block doesn't note that 1e stirges have a bonus to initiative; you'd need to remember that or flip open a book while running the combat. You'd also need to look up its saves, THAC0, and so forth on a table. This isn't so bad in the case of the worker ant, but consider the case of the 1e ogre stat block. Quick, what is the to hit modifer of a club to hit a AC 4? What is its weapon speed factor? What is its bend bars check? (Ogres do have a strength score, it's just not listed in the stat block.) According to the DMG rules for grappling, what damage does an ogre do in a grapple and what is the chance that it will succesfully grapple a player?

Now, you might be saying, "That's not a fair comparison. I don't use to hit modifiers for weapons vs. AC. And I never have used the DMG rules for grappling in a game (and besides, they look broken anyway, we have our own house rules)." And all that may be true, but it doesn't mean my comparison is less fair. Rather I will say that the reason that you don't use 'to hit modifiers for weapons vs. AC' and that you don't use the grappling rules is that they aren't included in the stat block, so you never considered that they were important and by the time you figured out what they were you'd become acustomed to playing in one manner and ignoring them.

In other words, the lightness of the stat block helped create for you a 'rules light' version of 1e that is what you mean by when you say you play 1e AD&D.

Meanwhile, for me, the 'heavier' looking 3e stat block is actually means less work and overhead for me than the 1e one because it means that - having the stat block - I don't really need to look at anything else. And, if I wanted a stripped down stat block that didn't list skills, base attack bonus, flat-footed AC, special qualities, etc. that din't necessarily come up in every fight or weren't relevant to the encounter, I could.

Most important, in 1e I would have had to hand write this down in my prep (in practice I probably didn't write stat blocks, just '8 orcs'). In 3e, I can cut and paste a stat block from a file that lists all the monsters stat blocks. The extra length doesn't burden me in preperation at all, and in play it actually makes things go faster.

Maybe, but not something I'm willing to speculate on further because I don't have evidence of this one way or the other.

I suppose I don't either, but as an ancedote, everyone in this thread who is upset with my characterization of 1e appears to be playing a minimized cut down version of the game and trumpeting this minimalist quality as the reason that they prefer the system.

I hope you mean the voice of inexperience with regards to my understanding of your game.

I mean that you've played a lot of D&D but it seems to have been a pretty uniform experience. That is, you asserted that '1e is grittier than 3e' and all you can really assert is, "The 1e games I played in were grittier than the 3e ones I played in", and I'm not at all convinced you've seen a broad range of 1e or 3e games depite your years of experience.

I've seen ~12th level 1e characters that could generate upwards of 100 pts of damage on average per round. By comparison the 3e Ranger you are citing is a total tosser.

There is no way an 11th level ranger in 1e is going to have a +20 bonus to hit.

1) Did you play with the Unearthed Arcana?
2) How many issues of Dragon did you own?

As just an obvious example, an 11th level ranger in 1e is going to have starting out a +10 bonus to hit relative to a 0th level fighter that is hidden within his better THAC0. Sure, it's not described as a bonus to hit, but that's what it is. So that 11th level ranger could have an 18 DEX, be specialized in the longbow, own a +5 longbow, and fire +5 arrows. That would be right there without even stretching be a +26 to hit. I wouldn't be surprised if he could kill every monster in the 1e DMG - including the unique ones - just by winning surprise, and could otherwise dispatch ancient dragons by himself in a single round. Granted, a good DM would probably not have granted the best possible weapons by 11th level, but I'm just trying to show that even without getting deep in to Dragon and other optional rules how easy it is to get 3e like numbers.

In point of fact, 3e didn't add anything. That 3e ranger being able to add his strength to his longbow damage if he's using a master work weapon, got that concept from a popular extension of the 1e rules. Likewise 3e critical hits also came from a popular 1e extension of the rules. I've seen 1e Rangers generate more than 100 hit points worth of damage in a single round. (In point of fact, I've seen more than 200 hit points worth of damage in a single round in 1e, but that's on the extreme 'non-gritty' superhero end of the scale.)

In my opinion AND in my experience. I disagree about 1e generating just as big hit and damage bonuses as 3e. That is simply not the case.

This is the point at which if we were face to face I'd ask you to bet me a dollar (or a lunch) on that assertion just to give you some pause to your certainty. You're experience is your own and its real, but it's not the limit of what is out there by any stretch of the imagination.

A 12 level fighter stops receiving d10s for hit dice at level 9. At level 10 and above, he gets +3 hit points per level. If he maxed out every hit point roll he would have 99 hit points at level 12. If he had an 18 Con, he would have 147 hit points at level 12 if he maxed all hit point rolls. The 12th level 3e fighter with 18 Con would have 168 hit points if he maxed all his hit point rolls. It is far more likely that the 1e fighter with 18 Con at 12th level would have around 90-100 hit points. The same 3e fighter would likely have 110-120.

Sure. Your math is all good. The problem is that the 1e fighter with 18 Con and ~100 hit points now has more hit points than all but a handful of monsters in the game. A huge ancient red dragon has but 88 hit points (nasty breath, but a glass cannon). A pit fiend has but 60 or so. The 3e fighter ONLY has 110-120 hit points because there are plenty of ordinary monsters out there with 300-400 hit points, more than Zeus in 1e. The numbers are meaningless without a point of comparison.

As for AC, -4 to -6 is difficult to attain in 1e. Plate and shield is AC2. +5 Plate and +3 Shield would be -6. That is some pretty potent stuff.

Or less potent stuff plus a dexterity bonus, or some other AC enhancing item that stacks with magic armor (boots of speed, for example).

Last edited:

Water Bob

Adventurer
RE: The Handwavy System - I love it, even prefer it. It's quick and fun.

I find that most 1E AD&D GMs find a few types of rolls that they like, and they generally use them over and over. Players get used to the types of throws the GM calls for. Remember that, unlike most other editions of D&D, AD&D relied on Percentile Dice a lot. There are tons of examples in the DMG (not counting the Thief's abilities) that are plain % throws. I suggest that new 1E DMs simply default to % throws--because they're very easy to create on the spot--until better familiarity with the system is gained.

The problem that may come up is a player used to 3E who cannot ajust himself to "trust" his GM, and he ends up arguing over ever call.

RE: To Hit Chart in the Book: Use THACO. Forget the charts.

RE: House Rules in 1E AD&D: The system inadvertantly begs GMs to create special rules. 1E AD&D is more about the GM making the game his own than any other edition of D&D, imo. (Though, I'm sure arguments to the same could be made for pre-AD&D based games.)

RE: Weapon vs. Armor Modifiers: The player should keep up with this. Once you start using them, they're not as difficult as it seems at first. And, people will quickly learn the modifier for your standard weapons that are used all the time. Your modifier is small, typically -1 or +1.

For example, you don't even worry about armor adjustments with a long sword except for ACs 9-10 and ACs 2-3.

Thus, next to the description and stats--wherever you keep that info for the weapon, just add in the info:

AC 10: +2
AC 9: +1
AC 3: -1
AC 2: -2

See how that's easy to remember? A lot of weapons are like this. Just check out the sheet until you get familiar with the weapon.

Another way to think about the modifiers is to thing in terms of actual armor types rather than an AC number. Thus, the longsword is....

+2 vs. No Armor.
+1 vs. Shield Only.
-1 vs. Splint/Banded mail and Shield, or platemail by itself.
-2 vs. platemail and shield.

Anything else, the weapon is not modified. So, if the foe is wearing chainmail, we know that the longsword is not modified against it. Doesn't matter if it's normal chain or +3 chain, the armor modifier is the same.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
RE: Weapon vs. Armor Modifiers: The player should keep up with this.

I would suggest that the DM keep up with this one because the player doesn't know the AC of what he's hitting. It's a bit metagamey to tell the player the AC (though in the case of armor it can be inferred).

My advice is that if you have the PC's: Gutboy, Dougal, and Morgan to create before play a Gutboy vs. AC table, Dougal vs. AC table, and Morgan vs. AC table for the DM's use. Players can be responcible for creating them but the DM is the one that actually needs them. At that point then, you need only worry about transient modifiers (bless spells, etc.) to hit, and the player can simply report the results of his attack throw without adding magical modifiers, strength bonus, specialization, and 'weapon vs. AC modifiers' to be added up on the fly.

Used this way, there is a minimal amount of over head per PC, but the complexities of the table just disappear and combat can be run quite quickly.

Any calculation that you can move from play time to prep time is usually time well spent.

Of course, if you do this, you'll possibly become disatisfied with certain areas of the game. This is exactly the move I made that led to me giving monsters ability scores. I loved how different weapons were better against different sorts of foes, but hated how monster ACs were usually reported as a single number rather than an Armor Class and a Armor Bonus. After all, a monster with an AC of 10 and a AB of +6 was a very different monster than one with an AC of 0 and a AB of -2. One is slow and lumbering and best attacked with large heavy weapons that can penetrate its thick hide. The other is swift and lithe and best attacked with light and graceful weapons that can quickly intercept it. From there, monsters got dexterity scores... and before I knew it I had a home brew that resembled a disorganized version of 3e.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I would suggest that the DM keep up with this one because the player doesn't know the AC of what he's hitting. It's a bit metagamey to tell the player the AC (though in the case of armor it can be inferred).

Naw, the DM already has too much on his plate. Plus, you don't have to tell the player the AC. The player can simply use his eyes.

The bad guy may have +3 Plate and a +2 Shield, but this still counts as plate + shield for the chart, so the player knows to use his -2 modifier vs. plate and shield.

The bad guy's true AC is -4 (with DEX modifier), but the player has no way of knowing that. The player CAN SEE that his opponent is wearing plate and shield, so he uses the AC 2 modifier.

Simple as that.

When using the 1E AD&D armor modifiers, you disregard any pluses the armor may have.

For example, +3 Chain is still considered AC 5 as far as the weapon chart is concerned. The above +3 Plate with +2 Shield is still considered AC 2 as far as the weapon chart is used.

IIRC (I'd have to look it up), the chart is not used vs. monsters that don't wear armor. It's only for those certain armor types.

The chart is scarier than it is. Once you start using it, it's really easy to use.

I've already got the Longsword adjustment memorized just from writing in this thread: No armor at all is a +2. Shield only is a +1. Banded or Splint mail WITH shield, -1. Platemail is -1. Platemail with shield is -2.

Anything else means no modifier.

So, if I describe an Orc wearing splint mail, you know that there's no modifier. But, if the Orc is also using a shield, then you know you're -1 to hit against him.

A goblin wearing chainmail means no modifier, but the human mercenary next to him, wearing plate and using a shield, you know you're -2 to hit against him...and it doesn't matter what the True AC of the target is.

Last edited:

In my experience, most 1e DM's - then and now - have an enormous body of house rules that they keep in their head under the lose heading of 'the way I do things'.

Maybe most 1e DM's but I'm not one of them.

Then you don't have 3 pages of house rules. You have 3 pages of things you've considered important enough to write down because you've felt the need to communicate them, and who knows how many pages of stuff you've not considered important enough to write down. But make no mistake, these consitute a huge rule book of things you've memorized and relied on in play.

No, I DO have 3 pages of house rules. Why do you want to continue arguing this with me? You haven't seen my house rules or how I run a game. The 3 pages I have are all additions to the rules. None are changes to existing rules, clarifications or expansions. And half of the first page covers how I handle character creation (rolling stats, etc.). I have no need for any more than that. If I were to write down everything I do that is slightly different than the rules as written, or that I consider clarifications of existing rules, I can see my document hitting five or six pages. That's it. There is no way I can even imagine anything more than that. And I do know how many pages of stuff I've not considered important enough to write down. That maybe equals another page or three at most. I run 1e very rules light. You might need to make 100 page house rule documents, but I certainly don't. I believe you said upthread that you also had a pretty extensive house rules document for 3e as well. I can't even fathom that. There are already so many rules for nearly every situation in 3e. Having pages of house rules is impossible for me to imagine.

I will only say that what you've described is a far more complicated system than you think it is.

I don't see the complication. I might say "You enter a 20x20 room. The floor is bare. No decorations adorn the walls save for a steel shield on the north wall. In the center of the room is a desk with a single chair behind it. Other than the way you came in, there are no other apparent exits." My players may then say "Krennan will search the desk, being careful not to open any drawers just yet. Endo will walk the perimeter of the room looking at the walls and for secret doors. Rodric will examine the shield on the wall, using his dagger to pry it away from the wall to see if anything is behind it."

That's it. Then I'd tell them that the drawers on the desk are all battered and standing slightly open. Nothing of interest is found in them. There is nothing else remarkable about the desk. No secret doors are found. The shield easily comes away from the wall. Behind it is a carved niche with a small pouch inside.

This all happens smoothly and seamlessly in actual play. No rolling of dice was required. And it takes a minute or two of real time. No rules were referenced in a book. At worst, if a die roll was called for, I would have made a call and asked for it without referencing a skill description to see what the constraints of a specific skill are. Quick and easy.

Sure, but that's not a valid measurement. You've fallen into a logical fallacy, and are starting to make me feel as if I'm the Conneticutt Yankee in King Author's Court.

...snip long discussion of comparing 3e and 1e PCs...

I already stated in my previous reply that comparing 1e and 3e PCs and the relative challenges they face in their own rules editions is an argument for another day. I acknowledge that it isn't necessarily cut and dried but there is some basis for the argument both ways.

I'll grant that to a certain extent. Except that grabbing feats is one of least time consuming jobs in creating an NPC. In both 1e and 3e you'll still need to note equipment, and assign spells. The extra burden of assigning feats is a small extra burden. By far the most time consuming thing in 3e is assigning skill points, but there you can often simply leave the task undone until you need it - much as you would in 1e.

Assigning feats is time consuming. Maybe not for you but for me it is time consuming and tedious. And skills are an even bigger offender. And I'm not sure what you mean by leaving the task undone much as in 1e. I don't assign skills in 1e. So that is a task I don't have to worry about when creating a 1e NPC.

Thanks for the example. It will be very useful for making my point.

First of all, you didn't compare like to like. You'd need to compare ogres to ogres to make a good comparison. The ogre picks up an extra line by virtue of needing possessions.

An ogre stat block in 1e is going to be the same size as the worker ant and list the same sorts of info.

Temple of Elemental Evil example:
Ogres (2): AC 4, MV 9", HD 4+1, hp 22, 20, #AT 1, D 5-10 (stone-set club, 1d6+4); XP 200, 190

That is your ogre comparison. Far shorter block and the same as the worker ant.

Secondly, I agree that in general the 3e stat block is 1-2 lines longer than the equivalent 1e stat block, but there is a kicker. The 3e stat block is complete. The 1e stat block is not. The first edition stat block simply tells you what tables to reference, and includes only the most commonly used information about the monster.

More than 1-2 lines longer. Look at my 3e ogre and my 1e ogre blocks. The 3e block is 9 lines longer. That is a far cry from 1-2 lines longer. And the 1e block is complete enough for general use in play. I don't need to look up anything else about the 1e ogre to run that encounter. It has everything I need.

It doesn't for example address the question: Do worker ants have infravision? You'd have to look that up. Also, the typical 1e stat block doesn't note that 1e stirges have a bonus to initiative; you'd need to remember that or flip open a book while running the combat. You'd also need to look up its saves, THAC0, and so forth on a table. This isn't so bad in the case of the worker ant, but consider the case of the 1e ogre stat block. Quick, what is the to hit modifer of a club to hit a AC 4? What is its weapon speed factor? What is its bend bars check? (Ogres do have a strength score, it's just not listed in the stat block.) According to the DMG rules for grappling, what damage does an ogre do in a grapple and what is the chance that it will succesfully grapple a player?

I don't need to know if they have infravision. Stirges don't have an initiative bonus in 1e. Not sure where you came up with that. Looking up saves and thaco is something that takes no more time than looking in the 3e stat block for base attack bonus. I see the ogre is 4+1 hit dice, I compare that to the chart on my DM screen and roll. The chart tells me what AC I just hit. I can simplify this further with thaco if I so desire. Same with saves, ogres are equivalent to a 4th level fighter, thus use their saves which are also on my screen. I don't use weapon vs AC, and from all accounts I have read, neither did Gygax. It is a carry over from Chainmail and I know of very few who use or used it. Weapon speed only comes into play in cases of initiative ties. I look at the club on my trusty DM screen and see it has a weapon speed of 4. Or I handwave it and say the PC tied with the ogre for initiative swings first. This is the difference between us. I don't care to have the rules spell everything out for me. I am shooting for rules that are light and run quickly in play. I could care less what the ogre's bend bars check is. Why do I need that to run combat? In the unlikely event it comes up, I would look at the strength chart if I was really concerned with it. But that isn't going to come up often in combat. Neither is infravision or weapon speed.

Now, you might be saying, "That's not a fair comparison. I don't use to hit modifiers for weapons vs. AC. And I never have used the DMG rules for grappling in a game (and besides, they look broken anyway, we have our own house rules)." And all that may be true, but it doesn't mean my comparison is less fair. Rather I will say that the reason that you don't use 'to hit modifiers for weapons vs. AC' and that you don't use the grappling rules is that they aren't included in the stat block, so you never considered that they were important and by the time you figured out what they were you'd become acustomed to playing in one manner and ignoring them.

No, I never used to hit modifiers vs. AC because I don't like them and think they unnecessarily burden the game. As I said, they are a carryover from Chainmail and the creator supposedly didn't use them either. Grapple doesn't come up often enough to matter. When it does, it would slow down the game to look it up... or I would just make up rules on the fly, which might different in subsequent combats where it comes up much as Water Bob said earlier.

The weapon vs. AC rules are NOT important to me. They may be to you, but from all the 1e players and DMs I've talked to, a large portion don't use them. I always knew they were there but couldn't care less about them.

Meanwhile, for me, the 'heavier' looking 3e stat block is actually means less work and overhead for me than the 1e one because it means that - having the stat block - I don't really need to look at anything else. And, if I wanted a stripped down stat block that didn't list skills, base attack bonus, flat-footed AC, special qualities, etc. that din't necessarily come up in every fight or weren't relevant to the encounter, I could.

And I'll argue that I don't need to look anything up with regards to the 1e stat blocks. Everything I need for almost every combat can be found in the ogre stat block or the worker ant stat block.

You can only trim 3e stat blocks so far. Taking out flat footed would be a mistake because EVERYONE in 3e starts out combat flatfooted until their initiative comes up. Yes you can strip them down but because those elements in their stat blocks are so closely tied to the system, they are needed more than 1e needs to know whether a creature has infravision or what a creature's bend bars roll is. In 1e, monsters don't have stats listed anywhere. You can deduce that an ogre is 18/00 strength because of other elements in the game (Gauntlets of Ogre Power). But it does not list a strength score in the ogre description in the Monster Manual. If you need or want stats for your monster, you either assign them or roll them in 1e. Hand-wavy works here. In 3e, it is built into the system. Most people are going to look in the stat block and if they fail to find them there, most will look in the Monster Manual to see what their stats are. You can hand wave them in 3e too but they are already there for you. You just have to look them up.

Most important, in 1e I would have had to hand write this down in my prep (in practice I probably didn't write stat blocks, just '8 orcs'). In 3e, I can cut and paste a stat block from a file that lists all the monsters stat blocks. The extra length doesn't burden me in preperation at all, and in play it actually makes things go faster.

For me, stat block writing for 1e is faster, cut and paste aside. Obviously you are the opposite. Also, I got tired of scanning stat blocks for 3e looking for the pertinent information. All stat blocks in 3e are not uniform. I am referring to published adventures. There are multiple ways to format a stat block. And because of that, I often ended up hunting around in the block looking for what I needed. In 1e, the blocks are sparse enough that finding what I need is faster. Writing your own stat blocks for your own adventures will of course remedy this if you use a uniform stat block. But not with published adventures, unless you plan to rewrite them before play.

I suppose I don't either, but as an ancedote, everyone in this thread who is upset with my characterization of 1e appears to be playing a minimized cut down version of the game and trumpeting this minimalist quality as the reason that they prefer the system.

I don't see it. Because I don't use weapon vs. AC doesn't mean I am playing a cut down version of 1e. If another rule or two gets ignored, I still don't believe it is a cut down version. The 1e rules exist as guidelines and are made to be used as is, modified, or ignored as individual DMs see fit. This is mentioned in the books in multiple places. Almost every rule in 1e is a subsystem of some sort, and entirely modular. Removing a rule, like weapon vs. AC, doesn't break the game. You are told in the text of the 1e books over and over that the game is your own and you should use or discard what you want. With 3e, the rules are less modular and are not subsystems. They are tied to the base of the system and much harder to ignore.

I don't think the minimalist quality is the reason, I think the modular quality is the reason. You can play the game in a minimalist style or with all the rules added in for a more complex style. That is the beauty of it.

I mean that you've played a lot of D&D but it seems to have been a pretty uniform experience. That is, you asserted that '1e is grittier than 3e' and all you can really assert is, "The 1e games I played in were grittier than the 3e ones I played in", and I'm not at all convinced you've seen a broad range of 1e or 3e games depite your years of experience.

I've seen a broad range of games. I find the argument that 3e is grittier to be amusing at best.

I've seen ~12th level 1e characters that could generate upwards of 100 pts of damage on average per round. By comparison the 3e Ranger you are citing is a total tosser.

100 pts. of damage in a round? I'd love to see the math on this. Without some sort of devastating magic, this is not possible. Even a 12th magic user casting fireball does 12d6, which on average will be 36-48 points of damage. Without concrete examples, I'll stick with 100 pts of damage in a round being the very rare exception and not the rule.

1) Did you play with the Unearthed Arcana?
2) How many issues of Dragon did you own?

I have used Unearthed Arcana and I own the Dragon Magazine Archive CD. Not sure what bearing that has. We are not using rules from Dragon. If you want to do that, feel free.

As just an obvious example, an 11th level ranger in 1e is going to have starting out a +10 bonus to hit relative to a 0th level fighter that is hidden within his better THAC0. Sure, it's not described as a bonus to hit, but that's what it is. So that 11th level ranger could have an 18 DEX, be specialized in the longbow, own a +5 longbow, and fire +5 arrows. That would be right there without even stretching be a +26 to hit. I wouldn't be surprised if he could kill every monster in the 1e DMG - including the unique ones - just by winning surprise, and could otherwise dispatch ancient dragons by himself in a single round. Granted, a good DM would probably not have granted the best possible weapons by 11th level, but I'm just trying to show that even without getting deep in to Dragon and other optional rules how easy it is to get 3e like numbers.

I'll grant you that the bonus to hit is comparable, although it isn't listed that way. And he is going to do 1d6+10 damage, unless he is specialized in which case he would do 1d6+12 but only within "point blank" range. The 3e equivalent is doing 1d8+11 within point blank with Point Blank Shot. With a strength bow and decent strength, that might be 1d8+13 or 1d8+15. And he gets 3 shots per round as opposed to 2 of the 1e ranger at 11th level. And he has feats like manyshot or rapid shot. Comparisons aside, because we've already established that more argument is called for there, I don't believe the 1e ranger is going to dispatch upper end monsters in one round. If he is outfitted as you said above, and hits twice, he does 2d6+24. The ancient dragon you mentioned has 88 hit points. So 36 points of damage doesn't kill him. Even with two rounds of free attacks and max damage, that would be 72 points of damage. Then the dragon breathes for 88 points of damage and that level 11 ranger is barely standing if he fails his save.

In point of fact, 3e didn't add anything. That 3e ranger being able to add his strength to his longbow damage if he's using a master work weapon, got that concept from a popular extension of the 1e rules. Likewise 3e critical hits also came from a popular 1e extension of the rules. I've seen 1e Rangers generate more than 100 hit points worth of damage in a single round. (In point of fact, I've seen more than 200 hit points worth of damage in a single round in 1e, but that's on the extreme 'non-gritty' superhero end of the scale.)

You don't need a masterwork weapon for this strength bonus in 3e. A simple composite long bow will do the trick. They can be made with strength in mind and thus access the strength bonus to damage. Yes they do cost more but that is all. Those rules are in the 3.5 PHB, a core 3e book. Unearthed Arcana is not a core 1e book and many people ignore it.

Critical Hits are nowhere to be found in 1e, unless you use rules from Dragon Magazine. They are not in the core of 1e (PHB, DMG, MM). They ARE in the core of 3e however.

I still want to see the math on how a ranger or any other class does 100 or more points of damage in a single round. Would love even more to see the math on how someone does 200 hit points of damage in one round.

This is the point at which if we were face to face I'd ask you to bet me a dollar (or a lunch) on that assertion just to give you some pause to your certainty. You're experience is your own and its real, but it's not the limit of what is out there by any stretch of the imagination.

And I never said it was the limit of what is out there. But the 100 or 200 points of damage in a round comments, and some other assertions you have made do seem to be stretching the limit of what is out there.

Sure. Your math is all good. The problem is that the 1e fighter with 18 Con and ~100 hit points now has more hit points than all but a handful of monsters in the game. A huge ancient red dragon has but 88 hit points (nasty breath, but a glass cannon). A pit fiend has but 60 or so. The 3e fighter ONLY has 110-120 hit points because there are plenty of ordinary monsters out there with 300-400 hit points, more than Zeus in 1e. The numbers are meaningless without a point of comparison.

And it takes the 1e fighter 1,250,000 experience points to reach level 12. We made it to level 11 in our 3.5 game in less than a year. I have never had a 1e game make it to level 11 in that short of a time. Even by the book experience awarding isn't going to get you to level 12 in less than a year in 1e. Yes gold, magic items, treasures that are turned into portable gold, and monsters give experience points. But monster experience awards are generally small, even for the bigger monsters. And 12,000 gp divided by a six person party only nets 2,000 experience points per PC. It takes awhile to reach 1.2 million experience points. In 3.5, the 12 level fighter doesn't need nearly that much. And the rules are written in a way that makes leveling quicker than 1e. Can you slow it down? Sure. Can you speed up 1e progression? Sure. But by the book in both has proven that advancement is quicker in 3e than in 1e. It was a design element in 3e to make it faster.

The 12th level 1e fighter is likely equivalent to a higher level 3e fighter. Of course this is conjecture on my part and would require more study and comparison.

At 12th level in 1e, PCs are getting ready to retire, run their castles and lands, etc. In 3e, play is encouraged to go to level 20 and beyond. There is an Epic Level Handbook. There are tons of published adventures for very high level 3e PCs. There are far fewer examples for high level 1e characters aside from the GDQ series and that only goes to about 14ish.

It is more difficult to challenge a level 12+ party in 1e but it can be done. But it takes longer to get there in 1e and thus more time is spent in the sweet spot which I think is between about 4th level and 9th level. YMMV as always.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
Alright we are going in circles now, and I'm tired of chasing you around. Somehow you've managed to count 9 extra lines in a stat block that is only 4lines long.

I'm 25+ 4 sessions into my 3e game stretching over about a year of play and the PC's are 4th level. Depending on whether a DM provides 'adventure path' level treasure in a 1e game, you'll level up every 2-3 sessions. There plenty of threads on EnWorld documenting that module play in 1e levels up as fast or faster than 3e (and you'll find me arguing in them that most people didn't rely on module play and leveled much more slowly), if you want to puruse the math or get in on the argument.

As for the damage assertions, they are in this thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/310151-seeking-advice-my-first-1e-campaign.html

Worth reading for context, but the post on damage output is here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/310151-seeking-advice-my-first-1e-campaign.html#post5655377

For higher level damage outputs, see various articles of Dragon, and even more generous treasure alotments. I have no idea what the upper end of damage is, but my point in listing these kinda things in that thread was that it doesn't even take that much to quickly break the game. And I should note however, that my game's power level and 'grit' would probably be familiar to you; the guy who ran the superpowered high level game was providing a welcome change of pace on several levels (for example, it was a high political intrigue game focused on nation building, massive wars, interplanetary invasions, etc. when my 'gritty' approach tended to see building and defending a barony as an end game state).

Remove ads