• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 2024 Core rule book changes

Remathilis

Legend
Are you serious, or are you trying to make a point I'm not getting using humor?
Adventures League lets players who don't have a regular DM or game group play and let's the DMs who run it have some common groundwork for adjudicating of PCs across multiple DMs. That's an important way people play and to dismiss it because YOU don't need or use it is a bad take.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Adventures League lets players who don't have a regular DM or game group play and let's the DMs who run it have some common groundwork for adjudicating of PCs across multiple DMs. That's an important way people play and to dismiss it because YOU don't need or use it is a bad take.
I dismiss it because no DM needs AL rules to run a public game for anyone who wants to join. I don't see why  anyone uses it, not just me. In fact, I don't see how anyone other than the corporation gathering your personal info benefits from it.

Remathilis

Legend
Well, this isn't the One D&D forum, and I don't feel obligated to follow WotC's rules.
Fine. This thread is now about how WotC should bring back incarnum.

I think incarnum got a bad rep. It was trying to use chakras and Eastern magical ideas in a different way. The rules were imperfect, but nearly every first attempt at a rule is. (1e psionics, yeesh) I could see an incarnum class showing up in the new edition, but I really think they could do a psionics route and just allow some incarnum themed subclasses and feats. I could easily see a monk or sorcerer subclass, for example.

Remathilis

Legend
I dismiss it because no DM needs AL rules to run a public game for anyone who wants to join. I don't see why  anyone uses it, not just me. In fact, I don't see how anyone other than the corporation gathering your personal info benefits from it.
Great, I'm bringing my 10th level battlemaster. All levels and magical items are legit earned. Source: trust me bro.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Fine. This thread is now about how WotC should bring back incarnum.

I think incarnum got a bad rep. It was trying to use chakras and Eastern magical ideas in a different way. The rules were imperfect, but nearly every first attempt at a rule is. (1e psionics, yeesh) I could see an incarnum class showing up in the new edition, but I really think they could do a psionics route and just allow some incarnum themed subclasses and feats. I could easily see a monk or sorcerer subclass, for example.
Awesome! I remember Incarnum and thought it was very interesting and worthy of expansion. I would hope they would avoid their anemic version of psionics for it, but you know WotC.

What do you think a full class incarnum user would be like?

PHB
  • Reorganizing, putting character creation after how to play.

I guess that's fair. It is odd that the game jumps into character creation immediately. It's mostly a relic of AD&D's PHB, which told you to look in the DMG if you wanted to know how to play... but only if you were the DM! Really a bizarre choice, looking back.

• 144 backgrounds with more details and guidance

144? That feels like saying "there are 444 weapon and armor loadouts in 5e D&D" because there are 37 different weapons and 12 different armors. Like a background in 5e takes a quarter column. They're not using 35 pages for backgrounds.

I guess Personality/Ideal/Bond/Flaw is out. Oh, well, they only brought the trappings from 13th Age and none of the teeth anyways.

DMG
  • They recognize that they didn't do a great job because of lack of resources.

More like because they were redoing all the core rules in the PHB and totally ran out of time. Time is a resource, though.

• New section on creating homebrew campaign with post map
  • Still being worked on but will be completely reorganized.

I'd like to see some of the tools that the 1e DMG offered. For all of its pretty numerous flaws from a modern perspective, the idea of what should be in the DMG was remarkably sound.

MM
  • Will include more than 500 monsters

I don't care how many more there are; I just want them to be better designed. I'm happy with Kobold Press's stuff, and MCDM's stuff, but the Monster Manual has three major kinds of monsters: (a) sack 'o hit points and a stick, (b) sack 'o hit points with spells, (c) sack 'o hit points with legendary actions.

Remove ads