• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 2024 Core rule book changes

I guess that's fair. It is odd that the game jumps into character creation immediately. It's mostly a relic of AD&D's PHB, which told you to look in the DMG if you wanted to know how to play... but only if you were the DM! Really a bizarre choice, looking back.

144? That feels like saying "there are 444 weapon and armor loadouts in 5e D&D" because there are 37 different weapons and 12 different armors. Like a background in 5e takes a quarter column. They're not using 35 pages for backgrounds.

I guess Personality/Ideal/Bond/Flaw is out. Oh, well, they only brought the trappings from 13th Age and none of the teeth anyways.

More like because they were redoing all the core rules in the PHB and totally ran out of time. Time is a resource, though.

I'd like to see some of the tools that the 1e DMG offered. For all of its pretty numerous flaws from a modern perspective, the idea of what should be in the DMG was remarkably sound.

I don't care how many more there are; I just want them to be better designed. I'm happy with Kobold Press's stuff, and MCDM's stuff, but the Monster Manual has three major kinds of monsters: (a) sack 'o hit points and a stick, (b) sack 'o hit points with spells, (c) sack 'o hit points with legendary actions.
I don't get the "big bag of hit points" issue. All I can think is, "So?" The MM monsters are supposed to be base creatures, simple and uncomplicated other than a few here and there. Perhaps most players actually want non-complex creatures when playing. It certainly doesn't impede my playing/DMing at all if most monsters are straightforward and easy to run. I'm happy to throw variants from the MME in there from time to time, but that's a want, not a need.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Actually sounds a lot like the plan for the Nentir Vale to me. I don't think that is what it will be, but the structure is very similar.
Actually, the structure sounds like the exact opposite of the Points of Light structure, providing a top to bottom approach, rather than bottom to top. Obviously, it could be any Setting or a new one, but the content Perkons describes sounds a lot like the original Greyhawk Folio. Particularly the fold out map suggests something that will be designed to tickle some 50th anniversary energy.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't get the "big bag of hit points" issue. All I can think is, "So?" The MM monsters are supposed to be base creatures, simple and uncomplicated other than a few here and there. Perhaps most players actually want non-complex creatures when playing. It certainly doesn't impede my playing/DMing at all if most monsters are straightforward and easy to run. I'm happy to throw variants from the MME in there from time to time, but that's a want, not a need.
The MM monsters are supposed to be the bulk of what you use. Making them all dead simple makes combat dead simple and, to me, quite boring mechanically.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
the 2014 PHB has 13 Backgrounds. The 2024 version will have 16.
Hopefully they kill the Folk Hero. What are the new ones?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads