D&D (2024) 2024 Player's Handbook reveal: "New Cleric"

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
In 1e AD&D, 1st-2nd-level spells "are gained through the cleric's knowledge and faith". 3rd to 5th-level spells were granted by the deity's minions, and only 6th-7th were directly granted by the deity. Also, in 2e's The Complete Priest's Handbook priests of a philosophy were introduced.

So, clerics gaining spells from their own faith does find its roots in AD&D.
This could explain what's going on with Divine Intervention as well- at 10th level, you're actually getting in contact with an agent of your God, such as a Solar. It's only at 20th level that you have enough pull to get the attention of the Divine.

In 1e AD&D, 1st-2nd-level spells "are gained through the cleric's knowledge and faith". 3rd to 5th-level spells were granted by the deity's minions, and only 6th-7th were directly granted by the deity. Also, in 2e's The Complete Priest's Handbook priests of a philosophy were introduced.

So, clerics gaining spells from their own faith does find its roots in AD&D.

Edit: So, that's already been brought up. Never mind me.

Faith enough, just keep it out if the Forgotten Realms thanks.

Aldarc

Legend
I agree. Calling on Divine Intervention means the character is calling for help and cannot control the outcome. Choosing a spell is not this. Now the old DI wasn't the best and could have used tweaking but I don't like the new one.

JC says ability is no longer "Mother May I?" And I am left sputtering... but it's in the name. Will you help me, Deity?
For me, it just feels so uninspiring and milquetoast. It's a 10th level ability called "Divine Intervention" and it now just amounts to a floating spell slot for that can be cast for a single level 1 to 5 spell. Umm... okay? I think that I would want something a little more inspiring than a glorified extra spell slot.

Remove ads