D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

I suggest you Create your build ^^ to challenge him.

Can we do it without Simulacrum cheese?

Otherwise my build is a Vuman War Wizard (Alert, Metamagic Adept [Subtle spell], Elemental Adept, Int 20, Dex 16, Lucky) with infinite Simulacrums he's wished in himself (plus a few he just created normally, meaning - unlike your Simulacrums - they retain their 9th level spell slot)

He also has at least one Demiplane holding glyphs of warding containing every single concentration spell in the game (all also either cast by the Simulacrums, or wished in by the Simulacrums who retained their 9th level slots, triggering burnout if necessary), and he has just danced around triggering all of them before emerging to challenge your Sorcerer (meaning he's currently buffed with every single concentration buff spell in the game).

He orders one of his Simulacrum to Plane shift him in wherever you are as close as I need to be triggering combat.

He has +13 to initiative, with advantage on the Dex check due to one of his buffs, and an extra 1d4 from another one, and a Lucky re-roll... so we can safely he goes first (as do his infinite Simularums, should he bring them along). Foresight and Alert render him impossible to be surprised either.

I havent bothered to calculate his stats, because every single buff spell in the game is a lot of buff spells.

Among other things, he's immune to hit point damage (invulnerability), and spells of 8th level or lower (Globe of invulnerability), invisible, mind blanked, mirror imaged, mage armored, hasted, blessed, spirt guardian flitting about etc etc etc

Do his infinite simulacra also come with him?

This thread remind me memories of my childhood, when I was playing imaginary battle with my older brother. It was all about a bigger gun, a faster plane, an heavier shell, until we got an imaginary processor exhaustion. Very cool. Thank.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Yep, at this point the whole discussion is moot. This 20th level machine of destruction is a threat to exactly no one. He has locked himself up in his man cave and pretty much cannot leave to even take a leak let alone lead an army to take over the world. So my 3rd level rogue named Binky, wins by not loosing. He goes back to his home town and takes writing up romance novels and gardening. This sorcerer spends the rest of eternity locked in his man cave with a whole lot of celestials and what not who do not particularly like him and duplicates of himself. Job well done!
It only takes a couple good romance novels and Binky has made a much bigger impact on the world than the 20th level sorcerer who hides in the demiplane basement (but always flying, even when sleeping or crapping).

Looks like Binky is the winning entry, the best the unamed demigod sorcerer can achieve is a draw. I decided on mastermind, I thought that fit better.

Name: Binky
Class: Rogue Mastermind 3
Race: Tabaxi

Attributes:
Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 16

Saving Throws: Dexterity +5, Intelligence +3

Skills:
Acrobatics +5, Athletics +1, Insight +2, Perception +2, Performance +5
Persuasion +5, Sleight of Hand +5, Stealth +7.

Languages:
Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Leonin, Thieves Cant

Background: Courtier
Feature: Court Functionary
Your knowledge of how bureaucracies function lets you gain access to the records and inner workings of any noble court or government you encounter. You know who the movers and shakers are, whom to go to for the favors you seek, and what the
current intrigues of interest in the group are.

Backstory:
When Binky was a kitten, he heard the story of an ancient and powerful being, whom no one knew his name, what he looked like or where he was. When Binky got older he decided to strike out into the world and find this mysteriousfigure of legend. Binky searched the world over, never finding the elusive figure, but became a regular fixture in the courts of various kingdoms.

He would regale the ladies of the court with his steamy stories of love and adventure, some true, some not. After a few years, the wife of a well known and wealthy merchant of books offered to publish Binky's stories, Binky excepted this offer, and decided this shadowy figure was of no consequence to anyone, since no one had seen or heard of him in a very long time and was probably a myth anyway.

Binky is now a best selling author of romance novels, with a large following among middle aged women. he lives a comfortable life in his home town and in between writing novels, he gardens catnip.

Last edited:

It's now a Candlekeep mystery! The PCs must discover the identity and location of the mysterious author of "How I Created an Unspecified Number of Galvan Magen and Didn't Lose a Single Hit Point".

It was quite the mystery. Everyone assumed it had to be a necromancer Wizard but it turned out to be a weird shut-in Sorcerer who just didn't keep close track of his hit points.

Can we do it without Simulacrum cheese?

Otherwise my build is a Vuman War Wizard (Alert, Metamagic Adept [Subtle spell], Elemental Adept, Int 20, Dex 16, Lucky) with infinite Simulacrums he's wished in himself (plus a few he just created normally, meaning - unlike your Simulacrums - they retain their 9th level spell slot)

He also has at least one Demiplane holding glyphs of warding containing every single concentration spell in the game (all also either cast by the Simulacrums, or wished in by the Simulacrums who retained their 9th level slots, triggering burnout if necessary), and he has just danced around triggering all of them before emerging to challenge your Sorcerer (meaning he's currently buffed with every single concentration buff spell in the game).

He orders one of his Simulacrum to Plane shift him in wherever you are as close as I need to be triggering combat.

He has +13 to initiative, with advantage on the Dex check due to one of his buffs, and an extra 1d4 from another one, and a Lucky re-roll... so we can safely he goes first (as do his infinite Simularums, should he bring them along). Foresight and Alert render him impossible to be surprised either.

I havent bothered to calculate his stats, because every single buff spell in the game is a lot of buff spells.

Among other things, he's immune to hit point damage (invulnerability), and spells of 8th level or lower (Globe of invulnerability), invisible, mind blanked, mirror imaged, mage armored, hasted, blessed, spirt guardian flitting about etc etc etc

Do his infinite simulacra also come with him?
Hmm.. had not considered demiplane glyph of warding

Not, It's sleeping, on Demiplane, creating his army e regaining resources. It is very rare, very rare for the Sorcerer to need to return to his Demiplane.

You explained that the sorcerer was on a demiplane as a counter to any scrying attempt. The Wizard 20 can scry at you thrice a day, more if he upcast the spell, and somehow he would always do it just at the time the sorcerer is on the demi-plane... and yet this is supposed to be "very rare"? If it's very rare, the scrying worked and the wizard has seen your fortress, temple and sanctum (though not the inside, just the outside). Plus, as you're "sleeping" inside, I guess it would be a daily occurrence to regain your 6th level slots and above as those can't be created through sorcery points. So instead of being rare, it should be "daily".

But as the Holed Up Hovering Target is already losing, having forgone all semblence of social life just out of fear of a Wizard 20 who doesn't even know his name, I'll grant you that and petition the DM to be lenient AGAIN on your behalf. So the HUHT is resting, rarely, when he needs it, on his demiplane. OK. Cool. I concede that he Wizard 20 can't scry on him there.

I notice that Demiplane is on his spell list, which is cool for the sorcerer. But the spell can get the sorcerer to a demi-plane, but not get him out of demi-plane: by RAW, and your DM is adhering to RAW, Demiplane opens a shadowy door to a demiplane (either a random one or a previously encountered one). If you don't cross back during the hour the door is open, people are trapped in the demi-plane. Which is usually not a problem for a user of magic, since anyone worth its salt can planeshift back to the prime. Except the sorcerer, who his spending his daily wish on Private Sanctum and can't emulate the 7th level Planeshift spell.

Logically, the routine must be: he is operating on the prime material plane usually, shrouded by his Private Sanctum. At some point, one day, even rarely, he decides he needs to sleep, so he cast Demiplane, using his 8th level slot. So far, so good. But, after he wakes up, he has regained the use of his 9th level slot but... he his trapped on his demiplane. His only way out is the planeshift back to the Prime, which has two drawbacks. First, he has planeshifted back with 8 creatures at most, so his horde of magen will likely stay. I guess he will take the simulacrum preferentially, but feel free to state if it's 8 magens. Second, planeshift doesn't allow you to specify an exact destination: trying to get to the City of Brass can get you inside, or looking at it on the other side of the Sea of Fire. It's the canonical example given in the spell description. Since "DM please help" is outlawed by the rule of the thread, there will be many times when the HUHT will be thousands of kilometers away from his fortress, temple, sanctum when he gets back from his demiplane. On one of those occasion, the Wizard 20, who is trying to scry daily on the basis of his second-hand information, will succeed at scrying you and notice you are in a vulnerable position, with at most 8 creatures and in the open (and, but he can't know that, your 9th level spell slot gone).

By introducing the Demiplane into the Holed Up, Hovering, Absent-minded Target, you just created several days of opportunity to strike for the wizard, without your retinue of creature, and at least one day without Private Sanctum or any other 9th level spell. It is on this day that the Wizard will strike, I propose, since for the first time his scrying is actually working (and the wizard doesn't know how long it will be before such an opportunity arises) and the Sorcerer appears to be ill-prepared. Unless you stipulate additional details on the routine of the HUHAT (which would affect the wizard strategy), I think we could consider this occurrence, the first the scrying spell actually worked, as Day 1 of the Wizard 20 attack and start discussing opening strategies.

What are the 8 creatures the Sorcerer take with him when he planeshifts back into the open?

Last edited:

Remove ads