• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

I don't see what the significance of the napping Sorcerer being able to off-brand coffeelock other than being out of the spirit of the stated rule against coffeelocking. A lack of Sorcery points or level 1 through 5 spell slots that can be made out of them was never a huge issue with these builds. At most absurd exploiting of short rests just means that maybe they can put off replacing their Simulacrum to every week or so (if we follow strict RAW rather than RAI, which is that simulacra don't regain per rest resources). But fundamentally a level 20 Sorcerer who almost never does anything is never going to lose a big fight from a lack of Sorcery points and lower level spell slots. The issues these guys have are with lack of spell versatility, relying on Wish for most of their core strategies, and more general overreliance on high level spell slots.

In any case I think we now have the least threatening "demigod" of all. The one who stays home most days napping, and on his rare sojourns from the house makes sure to be completely unnoticed and above all goes out of his way to avoid doing anything of legendary significance. A world with him in it is... exactly the same as a world without him in it.

In any case I think we now have the least threatening "demigod" of all. The one who stays home most days napping, and on his rare sojourns from the house makes sure to be completely unnoticed and above all goes out of his way to avoid doing anything of legendary significance. A world with him in it is... exactly the same as a world without him in it.
This is the real problem with all of these builds, none of them ever do anything. It is like they inherited a bunch of money and got all the best schooling, but never went anywhere or did anything and this is why they would die in a straight up fight against a group of actual PC's half his level, being played by actual players. So no world domination here.

Greg had been Ed's altar boy for the last 30 years. He was very well liked in the village because he was nice to everyone, even if he was not the social type and spend a lot of time near the small shrine Ed had erected in his frontyard. Today, Greg was concerned. Everyone this week was behaving strangely. Old Alfred had been creating Simulacra daily, except on Tuesday, where he Wished for Control Weather to have enough snow to support his new spellcasting habit. Everyone had to remove snow from the lawn in the village, in Summer! Binky, the star writer from Candlekeep, then started to act strange after visiting Alfred. He started waiting in the middle of Candlekeep Road, wearing his best outfit, saying he was waiting for an important guest whose name was unknown to all, including himself. And today, Ed had started behaving strangely, standing vigil on the Nashkel Highway for no discernable reason. Was this strange sickness of the mind somehow contagious? What should he do?

Greg: "Masster, what are you doing?"
Ed: "The time may have come."
Greg: "Sserioussly?"
Ed: "Yes, an existential threat will soon manifest, I can feel it. It will soon happen, the threat to our village will end soon."
Greg: "Which threat?"
Ed: "I wish I knew... Nobody has ever heard his name, no legend were written about him, the wisdom of the earth provided only a useless piece of information when queried... a faint snoring sound."

Greg definitely wasn't convinced the priest was still sane at this point.

(fade to black)

[with this much foreshadowing, an ACTION SCENE is warranted].

I really hope we will get a better action than the usual 260 damage at 660ft boom I win
We won't, see is pattern is to wait for someone to attack him, then he makes up these ridiculous scenarios where you could not have done what you said you did and he auto kills you, then refuses to listen to any explanation as to why what he said did not work the way he said it did. Watch this:

Name: Todd
Class: Abjuration Wizard 20
Race: Tabaxi (I like Tabaxi, what can i say)

Str 8, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 8

Feats: Tough

Hit Points: 162

Saving Throws: Int +11, Wis +7

Spell Save DC: 19, Spell Attack Bonus: +11

Skills:
Arcana +11, History +11, Insight +7, Perception +7, Persuasion +5, Stealth +11

Languages:
Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Leonin

Background: Courtier
Feature: Court Functionary
Your knowledge of how bureaucracies function lets you gain access to the records and inner workings of any noble court or government you encounter. You know who the movers and shakers are, whom to go to for the favors you seek, and what the current intrigues of interest in the group are.

Spells:
9th - Time Stop
8th - Antimagic Field
7th - Delayed Blast Fireball
6th - Chain Lightning, Globe of Invulnerability, True Seeing
5th - Cone of Cold, Wall of Force, Far Step
4th - Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility, Summon Greater Demon
3rd - Counterspell, Dispell Magic, Fireball (Signature Spell), Fly (Signature Spell), Gaseous Form, Haste
2nd - Darkness, Darkvision, Scorching Ray, Misty Step (Mastery)
1st - Disguise Self, Silent Image (Mastery)
Cantrips - Acid Splash, Chill Touch, Firebolt, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation

* Note 1: As a 20th Wizard, Todd has multiple spellbooks containing all the wizard spells in the Players Handbook. The above listed spells are just the ones he has prepared.

* Note 2: Todd cast Simulacrum 8 hours ago, giving him plenty of time to rest and get his 7th level spell slot back, then Todd then casts Fly on Simulacrum.

* Note 3: Todd has cast Wall of Force around himself.

* Note 4: Surely if the sorcerer gets 3-5 years of prep time, Todd can get a little prep time as well.

* Note 5: Todd is a psychopathic narcissist and understands how other psychopathic narcissist think.

Simulacrum casts Time Stop.
Simulacrum Flies up to 145 feet from the sorcerer using dash actions.
Simulacrum casts Delayed Blast Fireball (DBF) using 1 7th level spell slot.
Simulacrum casts DBF using 1 8h level spell slot.
Simulacrum places the beads so the guy on the Pegasus gets hit by both (Please see Note 5).
When the second DBF is cast, concentration on the first one is broken, both go off.
Even if the Sorcerer makes both saves, which he won't vs 2 DC 19 DBF, but even if he does, he still takes more than enough to kill him, he then falls to the ground taking 20d6 more damage.
Simulacrum tells the minions they will need a spatula.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
We won't, see is pattern is to wait for someone to attack him, then he makes up these ridiculous scenarios where you could not have done what you said you did and he auto kills you, then refuses to listen to any explanation as to why what he said did not work the way he said it did. Watch this:

Name: Todd
Class: Abjuration Wizard 20
Race: Tabaxi (I like Tabaxi, what can i say)

Str 8, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 8

Feats: Tough

Hit Points: 162

Saving Throws: Int +11, Wis +7

Spell Save DC: 19, Spell Attack Bonus: +11

Skills:
Arcana +11, History +11, Insight +7, Perception +7, Persuasion +5, Stealth +11

Languages:
Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Leonin

Background: Courtier
Feature: Court Functionary
Your knowledge of how bureaucracies function lets you gain access to the records and inner workings of any noble court or government you encounter. You know who the movers and shakers are, whom to go to for the favors you seek, and what the current intrigues of interest in the group are.

Spells:
9th - Time Stop
8th - Antimagic Field
7th - Delayed Blast Fireball
6th - Chain Lightning, Globe of Invulnerability, True Seeing
5th - Cone of Cold, Wall of Force, Far Step
4th - Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility, Summon Greater Demon
3rd - Counterspell, Dispell Magic, Fireball (Signature Spell), Fly (Signature Spell), Gaseous Form, Haste
2nd - Darkness, Darkvision, Scorching Ray, Misty Step (Mastery)
1st - Disguise Self, Silent Image (Mastery)
Cantrips - Acid Splash, Chill Touch, Firebolt, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation

* Note 1: As a 20th Wizard, Todd has multiple spellbooks containing all the wizard spells in the Players Handbook. The above listed spells are just the ones he has prepared.

* Note 2: Todd cast Simulacrum 8 hours ago, giving him plenty of time to rest and get his 7th level spell slot back, then Todd then casts Fly on Simulacrum.

* Note 3: Todd has cast Wall of Force around himself.

* Note 4: Surely if the sorcerer gets 3-5 years of prep time, Todd can get a little prep time as well.

* Note 5: Todd is a psychopathic narcissist and understands how other psychopathic narcissist think.

Simulacrum casts Time Stop.
Simulacrum Flies up to 145 feet from the sorcerer using dash actions.
Simulacrum casts Delayed Blast Fireball (DBF) using 1 7th level spell slot.
Simulacrum casts DBF using 1 8h level spell slot.
Simulacrum places the beads so the guy on the Pegasus gets hit by both (Please see Note 5).
When the second DBF is cast, concentration on the first one is broken, both go off.
Even if the Sorcerer makes both saves, which he won't vs 2 DC 19 DBF, but even if he does, he still takes more than enough to kill him, he then falls to the ground taking 20d6 more damage.
Simulacrum tells the minions they will need a spatula.
You don't know which one is the Sorcerer, and you can't find him even if you did because Stealth check beats your perception. You take 234 damage at 723 feet and you die!

I know, the grammar is too good; there's only so much I can do.

Iry

Hero
They are, indeed, build with level 20 in sight: none of them could actually REACH level 20. I mean, if your habit is to do nothing, how do amass XP? There is Monster XP, Milestone XP, Story XP, but I don't think Sleeping XP is a thing.
Humorously, the few games where the PC's do reach Level 20 usually have them achieve it in a handful of years in game.
That's clearly a Doylist thing, but it's fun to imagine those Level 20 folk with a bunch of time suddenly on their hands.

They are, indeed, build with level 20 in sight: none of them could actually REACH level 20. I mean, if your habit is to do nothing, how do amass XP? There is Monster XP, Milestone XP, Story XP, but I don't think Sleeping XP is a thing.
My question is what happened to his adventuring party. Isn't a lone level 20 D&D character with nobody to help him intrinsically a little sad? He only ever hangs out with beings magically compelled to be loyal to him.

I think he was a fairly typical adventurer who spent levels 1-20 happily adventuring with a tight knit group of friends, but who then saw his entire party horribly wiped out and just can't get past it. Traumatized, he is now alone, afraid or unwilling to trust anyone, so depressed he barely gets out of bed, and angry at the world.

See, now I want to make a tabaxi sorcerer so the napping is justified.

Remove ads