D&D 5E 28/1/13 L&L D&DNext goals part Four

VinylTap

First Post
We should be careful to not get caught up in module suggestions like facing etc. They're putting them in as an option for a very good reason-- some people want them. There is no dogma anymore, only player preference (Well, there's always the "core rules" but even those can be overwritten).

I wonder if there open playtesting is going to progress through the tactical miniatures module etc.

It would be fun having big "meta-spells" cast by impossibly powerful wizard NPCs that could "temporialy" change the module or dial a notch or two. You'd have to be really careful it doesn't get out of hand, but what if you had a wizard cast some extensive ritual that eliminated the effects of "healing spells" and suddenly your party has to switch over to the "no healing" module. Fun in limited, dramatic use.

gyor

Legend
I've DMed D&D horror once, and I must say, it was quite difficult. I really had to pull out all the stops to make it believable and not like a b-movie from the 1970s. So any optional rules that actually help that, that aren't cheesy or fake in and of themselves, could be a welcome addition.Mostly looking forward to the mini rules and also the armor-as-DR rules. Realms and stronghold stuff could be cool too, for once your PC wants to hang up that longsword and pour over some maps of troop formations and keep the game going. Like mini-games inside the bigger game. Good stuff, but light on specifics. As usual, the specific rules will have to be seen before jumping up and down.E.g. a detailed magic item creation module...that would be sweet, AND provide a simple explanation for why magic items are a certain rarity in the game world. If there are only so many dragons flying around, it makes sense that dragon-scales would be extremely expensive, and thus dragonscale armor would no longer be produced in the current age. I do NOT want everything to be merely "residuum".....sigh
Honestly White Wolf/Onyx Path is better for horror, its what they,specialize and are known for.

S

Sunseeker

Facing was present in AD&D, and often I find myself wishing for something like it when I play 4e. Some people want it.

It's a good idea, and I've often houseruled facing in my games simply because it should matter in certain situations.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
That could be a lot of fun.
It would be fun having big "meta-spells" cast by impossibly powerful wizard NPCs that could "temporialy" change the module or dial a notch or two. You'd have to be really careful it doesn't get out of hand, but what if you had a wizard cast some extensive ritual that eliminated the effects of "healing spells" and suddenly your party has to switch over to the "no healing" module. Fun in limited, dramatic use.
Wow, straight to post without adding my thoughts. Anyway, I like this idea, and will totally be using it at some point.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
There's also a lot of possible setting jazz in here.

If a module can change magic so that we can see Eberron's techno-magic and Dark Sun's defiling/preserving as distinct magical systems, that's really quite segsy to me. That's got the potential to change the game at a much more fundamental level than a coat of orange paint and a half-dwarf race will.

I'd be okay with all HP restoring after each encounter if you could also use 'grievous wounds.' So your stamina replenishes, but if you were actually injured, that takes a long while to recover.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Adventures is exactly how certain expanded "rules" were introduced in 1e. I remember ability checks being an "alternate" rule that was codified in some of the 1e era adventures.
Now Ability Checks are the core mechanic of the game. That will be a big shift, perhaps it would be a good business strategy to publish new rules content with adventures? Adventures initially sold the game, so bundling the two was a way to get new rules out there. In today's climate it may serve the opposite need: to get adventures to market with examples of how those rules may be used in the game.

D'karr

Adventurer
Now Ability Checks are the core mechanic of the game. That will be a big shift, perhaps it would be a good business strategy to publish new rules content with adventures? Adventures initially sold the game, so bundling the two was a way to get new rules out there. In today's climate it may serve the opposite need: to get adventures to market with examples of how those rules may be used in the game.

A lot of monsters first saw the light of day in particular adventures, long before they were "compiled" into a monster manual. I wouldn't mind seeing that type of expansion either. I think that WotC needs to have an "all of the above" approach to things. If something "innovative" can be added to an adventure, do it. You can always compile it into an "expansion book" later.

Remove ads