• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) 2nd attempt - where to put spell lists? (Poll)

Where should the spell lists (not the spell details!) go?

• In each class section

Votes: 28 58.3%
  • Together in their own section

Votes: 20 41.7%

Faolyn

(she/her)
It's either/or, not both.
Well, right above you say "These would be organized by class and level" so I'm taking it to mean that, if you stuck them in the back by the spell list, they would be organized there. Obviously you wouldn't need to organize them by class if you put them with the class.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, right above you say "These would be organized by class and level" so I'm taking it to mean that, if you stuck them in the back by the spell list, they would be organized there. Obviously you wouldn't need to organize them by class if you put them with the class.
Putting them with the class is organizing them by class.

I'm clearly not able to communicate this concept.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
With the class.

Sure, it might not be done currently. BUT IT SHOULD BE.

It is so infinitely frustrating to have to flip around when you're leveling up. This is an overdue idea.

giphy.gif

Faolyn

(she/her)
Putting them with the class is organizing them by class.
Right, that's what I said.

I'm assuming that the options are:

Option 1: When you present a spellcasting class, you'd also list their spells, organized by level.

Wizard
Wizards are blah blah. Table o' stuff here.
At 1st level, you get blah. Etc.

Wizard Spell List
Cantrips
Acid Splash
Blade Ward

1st Level
Burning Hands
Catapult

-or-

Option 2: In the back of the book, with the chapter that actually has all the spell details, you'd have all of the spells organized first by class, then by level.

Bard Spell List
Cantrips
Blade Ward
Dancing Lights

1st Level
Animal Friendship
Bane

Wizard Spell List
Cantrips
Acid Splash
Blade Ward

1st Level
Burning Hands
Catapult

Yes?

Li Shenron

Legend
I'd like to see some innovation here and try with the spell list together with the class.

One drawback of the traditional "all lists together" is that I still occasionally start looking at the wrong list and don't notice until I have had a couple of "oh, I never noticed X could cast Y" moments.

Horwath

Legend
i'm for spell lists in class description, but having both is like 5 pages extra so maybe both could be worth doing.

Also, this is another topic but it's directly connected;
In full description part of spells; in PHB they are sorted by alphabet, all levels together.

Could you please sort them by every level separately?

Cantrip section: all cantrips full descriptions by alphabet.

1st level section: all 1st level spells full descriptions by alphabet.

etc...

Remove ads