• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3/4 hps, +1/2 level damage working nicely!

S'mon

Legend
If you are giving monsters 3/4 of their normal hit points, it would make sense for monsters to do about 4/3 normal damage, assuming that monsters are already balanced in terms of HP/damage combined, and the problem is their relative balance of offense/defense.

They're not balanced though - low level monsters are OK, but high level have too many hp and too little damage, especially elites & solos.

Fluxx

First Post
They're not balanced though - low level monsters are OK, but high level have too many hp and too little damage, especially elites & solos.

I think what Elric meant ist that monsters are balanced in damage per encounter. So if you cut down the hp by 1/3 they will survive 1/3 rounds less so they have to deal 4/3 damage to make the maths...

so if the damag per encounter is ok in the books then the fix 2/3 hp +1/2 Lvl is perhaps to strong...

S'mon

Legend
I think what Elric meant ist that monsters are balanced in damage per encounter. So if you cut down the hp by 1/3 they will survive 1/3 rounds less so they have to deal 4/3 damage to make the maths...

so if the damag per encounter is ok in the books then the fix 2/3 hp +1/2 Lvl is perhaps to strong...

IMO you need to base it around a group of monsters and look at expected damage output over the fight.

I'm looking at using 1/2 hp and 2/3 XP, no damage adjustment. This replaces 2 full-hp with 3 half-hp, but they drop twice as fast & I reckon the total damage output over the fight should be the same.

Elric

First Post

Right, that's the general idea. I specifically said that I was assuming the problem was the relative balance of monster offense/defense. One thing I hadn't considered, though, is that changing monsters to have more damage and lower HP really encourages PCs who can "nova", expending resources to deal a lot of damage quickly. If monster HP goes down to 3/4 and monster damage goes up to 4/3, a high nova party might breeze through encounters.

IMO you need to base it around a group of monsters and look at expected damage output over the fight.

I'm looking at using 1/2 hp and 2/3 XP, no damage adjustment. This replaces 2 full-hp with 3 half-hp, but they drop twice as fast & I reckon the total damage output over the fight should be the same.

Lanchester's square law would suggest that a monster with 1/2 HP should be worth about sqrt(1/2)= 70% xp.

Remove ads