D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Boots of springing and striding.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I just noticed that in the DMG, the new boots of springing and striding add 10' to your movement. I thought it was going to be 30'. Typo?

Last edited:

Tessarael

Explorer
Probably not a typo. +30' movement is far better than other improvements such as Barbarian or Monk improvements on a level basis (though after a few levels Monk is better).

How much additional movement do spells like Expeditious Retreat give in 3.5E? Maybe they should just give the Run feat +10' movement ...

Vanye

Explorer
Tessarael said:
How much additional movement do spells like Expeditious Retreat give in 3.5E? Maybe they should just give the Run feat +10' movement ...

Expeditious retreat provieds a +30 enhancement bonus to land speed movement.

Farganger

First Post
I don't have my books here, but I noticed the new boots of S&S are based off a 1st level ranger spell (not Expeditious Retreat) which only grants +10 feet to movement.

Artoomis

First Post
IIRC, WotC has told us that some items were reworked to have their powers be more in line with their price, rather than simply priced higher.

If so, then this change makes sense.

Farganger

First Post
Farganger said:
I don't have my books here, but I noticed the new boots of S&S are based off a 1st level ranger spell (not Expeditious Retreat) which only grants +10 feet to movement.

I seem to recall now that the spell behind 3.5e Boots of Striding and Springing is called "Longstride" or "Longstrider".

Datt

First Post
It is Longstrider.

Longstrider
Transmutation
Level: Drd 1, Rgr 1, Travel 1
Components: V,S,M
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)

This spell increases your base land speed by 10 feet. (This adjustment counts as an enhancement bounus.) It has no effect on other modes of movement, such as burrow, climb, fly, or swim.

Material Component: A pinch of dirt.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Artoomis said:
IIRC, WotC has told us that some items were reworked to have their powers be more in line with their price, rather than simply priced higher.

If the boots were still 2000gp, I could buy this. But +10' for 5000+gp?? That seems quite expensive.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Artoomis said:

Yes I know WOTC said items would be reworked. But I thought they said someplace specifically that the boots of springing and striding would only add +30' to movement, instead of doubling movement like in 3rd ed. In the 3.5 DMG, it says 10'.

Last edited:

The It's Man

Explorer
Lord Pendragon said:
If the boots were still 2000gp, I could buy this. But +10' for 5000+gp?? That seems quite expensive.
IIRC, the price of the boots listed in the 3.0 DMG (2,500) got errated to 6,000 a while ago. So in 3.5 they even got 500 cheaper :).

Remove ads