• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5] Enormous number of changes - some make me wonder why...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Re: Re: Re: [3.5] Enormous number of changes - some make me wonder why...

Skaros said:

Might go down in history as the first person to spout off the intention to house rule something from 3.5 (enlarge spell) that actually had the book in front of him :)

Well, I'm tired and it's my first read through. I might come around to leaving enlarge spell but I'm certainly changing "widen" spell - +3 levels is far too much for it, it is going to be less effective for anything other than "crowd control" when compared with maximise or empower.

I would actually rate widen as less useful than empower, although that would put it at +1 and it is probably more useful than extend or enlarge. Pity we can't have 1.5 ;) (kidding). Several of the non-combat uses of empower have disappeared now (e.g. buff spells) so I'd probably place widen at +2. This would give an even choice of increasing the damage or increasing the area.

Just so you know I'm not much of a "spouter", I do try to think things through (and I've had my own version of "widen" called "expand spell" since about a month after the PHB was released :)

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Re: Re: [3.5] Enormous number of changes - some make me wonder why...

seasong said:

That's kind of cool, actually. Except... aren't weapons classified in a non-size way now? How does this handle that?

Specifically it says:

"It deals damage as if it were two size categories larger (a small club or quarterstaff so transmuted does 1d8 damage, a medium 2d6, and a large 3d6)+1 for the enhancement of the spell".

The DMG (I think) has a big chart to help with scaling up and scaling down weapon damage - although they seem a little allergic to d10's for some reason ?!?

I would agree that the DMG is the most improved of the revised books, however, I do have one small complaint. The apprentice level rules are gone. :mad:

Oh, before anyone asks what I would have cut to include them, I have two words, Red Wizard. Why is a FR PrC in a CORE rulebook?

Plane Sailing

Another snippet - if you use Shapechange, the jade circlet melds with you, rather than being left behind as a rather obvious achilles heel. Yay!

The druid plant wildshape is only to monstrous plants (like shambler or assassin vine) - you can't wildshape into a tree or rosebush! (would that be "tameshape?")

Cheers

Greyhawk_DM

First Post
BTW...

Monte Cook just put up his review of the 3.5 edition books...it's an interesting article...
I for one, am not going to buy the latest books. Why should I spend 90 or so bucks for new books, when I can just download the SRD when it comes out. 90 bucks for what is essentially "new" artwork seems a bit high for me.

You can find Monte Cook's review here...http://www.montecook.com/review.html

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

The Paladin "holy sword" spell doesn't do double damage any more, but gets the +2d6 holy damage instead (I believe the other functions of the spell are unchanged)

Plane Sailing

Planar Ally spells have more concrete suggestions about agreed payment:

100gp/HD for tasks of up to 1 min per caster level,

500gp/HD for tasks of up to 1 hour per caster level.

1000gp/HD for tasks of up to 1 day per caster level.

Nonhazardous tasks have that amount, hazardous tasks typically increase it. Few creatures will take a task that seems suicidal.

100xp cost.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads