• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 is Anime! Wait, what?

ImperialParadox

First Post
ainatan said:
Don't worry. That art is for that Pathfinder RPG thing. I'm not really into paizo, but I think, by the looks of the art they are using, they are trying to bring some Exalted players to their new game.

WOTC would never allow such thing in real D&D products. We're safe.;)

It's not like Wayne Reynold's art has ever appeared in a 3rd edition product :p

Yeah I'll agree he does have a problem with 'big feet.' Any fantasy figure sporting a big ol' pair of clodhoppers is 99% likely to be a WAR drawing. It's almost like his personal signature at this point.

I'll even give on the anime influence, I love looking at a sword that makes me question if it's even physically possible to lift the thing. :confused:

However, I think some of the other criticism is a bit harsh though, Wayne is still a top notch artist in my eyes, definately one of the better ones from the 3rd edition era.

Woas

First Post
You'd think something minor like this would just be a one time "eh, another horrible Wayne Renolds pose" and move on. But this style of illustration really turned me off of Pathfinder.
I had subscribed to it finally after I realized what I was missing when the Dungeon and Dragon magazines were pulled. So I figured I'd try this out and get it in on the ground floor. But I canceled my subscription after the very first issue because the interior illustrations were overly cartoon-y an I guess, "anime" for lack of better term. If I wanted to show the illustrations of NPCs to the players, which I often do, they would have just laughed and completely destroyed any mood the game had.

Nytmare

David Jose
ainatan said:
Can you see what they have in common?

Is this a trick question?

[sblock]
sideboob.jpg
[/sblock]

pawsplay

Hero
Observations:
- She could take Cloud, easy.
- She stole her sword from the halfling-sized weapons thread from last Christmas. It's a huge-gantic shortsword.
- Looks like an outie.
- She's carrying a backup axe. I respect that.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I always thought I hated anime . . . but judging by this artwork I apparently think anime kicks all kinds of ass.

Go figure.

The_Fan

First Post
Aside from the meatbricks she's standing on, I personally love WAR's art. The people are very detailed and realitic, but the equipment they wear is fantastic. In that picture, she doesn't look like some supermodel but someone who has actually been through a lot of battles. Honestly, I'd say he's the best artist in D&D.

Certainly better than Crabapple.

Wormwood

Adventurer
The_Fan said:
Honestly, I'd say he's the best artist in D&D.
I don't know about the best, but he's definitely my favorite.

As far as I'm concerned, he's the face of D&D. And that's a good thing.

Remove ads