D&D 5E 3 Of The Adventures in Candlekeep Mysteries

Candlekeep is a 'hub' full of portals to different adventures, each portal being a book, in the upcoming Candlekeep Mysteries adventure anthology for D&D. Here's the names of three of the adventures according to iO9. The adventures are standalone. A ghost dragon lives under the library, and the PCs can interact with her.

960x0.jpg

The 'codename' for the book was 'Microwave'.
  • The Canopic Being (Jennifer Kretchmer, disability advocate) -- jars of internal organs in Tashlua, a trade city in Tashalar, and a deep 3D dungeon crawl full of elevators and ramps.
  • Zikran’s Zephyrean Tome (Taylor Rehman, game designer) -- a genie in a book in Candlekeep asks you to free it in exchange for a wish. The genie has an evil former master.
  • Kandlekeep Dekonstruktion (Amy Vorpahl, comedian)-- a stolen book contains blueprints of Candlekeep. A comedic adventure. Includes mechanical creatures called Skitterwidgets, which have babies called Kittiewidgets.

Last edited:

Lieslo

Explorer
It's unclear to me how a comedic adventure is supposed to actually play? Usually the laughs at the table are from antics the players or my NPCs get up to - not due to puns or funny names or whatever. Hopeful this one won't be cringe, but not holding my breath. That said, maybe it will be funny to read, even if I never play it.
I agree. Comedy is never great when forced. Also don't like the terms Skittlewidgets and Kittiewidgets - too cutesy for me

I agree. Comedy is never great when forced. Also don't like the terms Skittlewidgets and Kittiewidgets - too cutesy for me
Comedy is very much a matter of taste, but it's certainly always been a part of some adventures. White Plume Mountain is comic. Dungeonland/Land Beyond the Magic Mirror (by Gygax himself) are comic.

But, as with any anthology by different authors, there is bound to be some you don't like. Nothing wrong with that.

R_J_K75

Legend
This one doesnt sound promising. Amy Vorpahl, never heard of her. Quick google search and she comes up as actor, comedian and pro- gamer, anyone know if she has any other RPG writing credits?

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
This one doesnt sound promising. Amy Vorpahl, never heard of her. Quick google search and she comes up as actor, comedian and pro- gamer, anyone know if she has any other RPG writing credits?
She's in a D&D tv show called The Dungeon Run

It's unclear to me how a comedic adventure is supposed to actually play? Usually the laughs at the table are from antics the players or my NPCs get up to - not due to puns or funny names or whatever. Hopeful this one won't be cringe, but not holding my breath. That said, maybe it will be funny to read, even if I never play it.
I'd certainly hate it if D&D started incorporating puns. You'd end up with names like "Yrag" or "Zagig".

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases