3e Character Advancement Too Fast?

What do you think about the speed at which characters advance in levels in 3e?

• Way too fast

Votes: 61 24.5%
  • A little too fast

Votes: 96 38.6%
  • Just right

Votes: 78 31.3%
  • A little too slow

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Way too slow

Votes: 1 0.4%

Benben

First Post
Gothmog said:
My solution was to ditch the CR/XP system and only give XP for story awards and roleplaying with a slower advancement rate (about 1 level per 3-5 adventures).

When you say adventures do you mean every time players sit at the table (sessions), or taking a story from begining to end (stories)?

I would say that five adventures between leveling is slow, but then my 3 year campaign ended with everybody at 15th level.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
I like the pacing, generally. As a player, I'm always hungry for the next level. As a DM, I sometimes pad the points a little because I've got things in mine and I don't want the party to get slaughtered because they're too weak.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Sheesh, how often do you guys play?

When I was a player, once every fourth or fifth session we leveled. After a year of games (one a week) we were only level 6.

When I ran a game, I sped it up a little bit. The party covered 7-8 levels in about as many months of playing (once a week).

A friend of mine ran an epic game that lasted only about 6 or 7 weeks. There we leveled each week since epic progression is so slow.

Not counting the epic game, I thought progression was a little slow. There are so many characters I'd like to play through an adventuring career, but I can only play a very small handful of them due to how slow games move. This is alright if it's a good game and I'm having fun, but even then it would be nice to move along a little faster.

Later.

Archade

Azer Paladin
A little too fast.

In game time, in a period of less than a year, characters have jumped from 1st to 9th level. And yes, it's about one adventure per level.

I've decided when we wind things down and start at first level again, I'll just halve XP rewards. I've tried it for running the Shackled City campaign for a small group, and I like the progression rate better. Gaining a level means something.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
It's too fast for me. In nine months of adventuring the party has gained 11 levels. There must be a lot of high level dudes walking around. I'd go with a .5 modifier on my next game.

Gothmog

First Post
Originally posted by Benben:
When you say adventures do you mean every time players sit at the table (sessions), or taking a story from begining to end (stories)?

I mean adventures. Typically we have long gaming weekends once a month (around 20 hours of gaming total), and we get roughly one adventure done in that time. The campaign I am running now was started in 1992, and the characters just hit 11th level (we converted to 3E 3 years ago). The players enjoy a slower pace, since it gives them time to develop their characters and personalities, rather than always trying to figure out a way to use new abilities. As a DM and a player, I dislike high level games (14+), and this campaign is about ready to wind down in the next 10-12 adventures.

In contrast, when 3E came out, I played in a campaign every week for 6 months. The characters gained a level on average every 2-3 playing sessions (each session being about 4 hours). WAY too fast for me. We ended up being about 11th level- and it made me feel cheap and dirty to advance that quickly, like I had cheated.

WizarDru

Adventurer
The SSOM has gone from 1st level to 20th level in approximately 2.6 years (some almost 21st level). That seems about right, to me. In total, they've had some 100+ sessions, I'm guessing.

And I have to agree...one of the best 'carrots' of D&D is the level progression, and the notion that something new is always around the corner.

KDLadage

Explorer
I voted that it is way too fast. By that, I mean that the defaulted XP system is far too fast. Adjusting it to the style and speed of advancement you desire in your campaign is not difficult, but should be discussed more in the DMG -- in my opinion.

I think advancement should drastically slow down with each additional level. I feel each additional plus and ability should feel like it was earned -- like you accomplished something. Right now, it comes a bot too quickly for my tastes...

For example, in my current game the XP chart is like this:

Party Power = (Total character level of all members of party) / 4
Difficulty = Challenge rating minus Party Power

Difficulty ... XP Awarded
========== ... ==========
-6 or lower ........... 0
-5 ................... 10
-4 ................... 25
-3 ................... 50
-2 .................. 100
-1 .................. 200
0 ................... 400
+1 .................. 600
+2 .................. 800
+3 ................ 1,000
+4 ................ 1,250
+5 ................ 1,500
+6 ................ 1,750
+7 or higher....... 2,000

Last edited:

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I voted a little too fast, but maybe I am still just not used to it.

My experience from previous edition is that progression was ludicrously slow once you hit ~8th level. Even for a hero, there is a limit to how often you would want to fight a dangerous monster that has a ~3% chance to kill you for 1% of the experience you need to make a level.

Rewards in 3e seem much more appropriate to the amount of risk. Even then, I have seen parties in a very dangerous adventures stall as their earned experience barely outpaces the attrition rate from deaths.

Remove ads