D&D (2024) 48 subclasses in the 2024 PHB: What are they?

This would be such a great solution.
Ack, no, please. (At least unless we're handling it with ludicrous numbers of options). I for one massively prefer the "You get special abilities that reflect the magic of your school" to the forcibly generic "You get a bonus to learn spells from your school and an extra spell of that school per level per day no matter what that school is".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
People last year blasted WotC for trying that with the Strixhaven UA, so I think that's unlikely. I thought it was a pretty interesting idea, but it was loudly rejected.
Yes, those were huge messes though interesting. It does seem that standardized Subclass progression and the Group tech might change the scene here, though: a "Skillmaster" that's available to Bards, Rangers and Rogues, or a "Weapon .aster" for Barbarian, Fighter, and Monk, or so on, seem doable. Wouldn't be surprised if they tested again with these new design structures in place.

I am pretty sure they will test revisions for all 41 2014 Subclasses, and see one more each for Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Ranger, or Sorcerer.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Unless the way bards and rangers prepare spells in this UA polls poorly, I’m guessing wizards will do the same, and their spellbook will contain the list of spells that are always prepared. Then you’ll have the option to specialize in a school, which will somehow make it easier to add spells of that school to your spellbook.

Actually, considering that they seem to be standardizing subclass progression and they start at 3rd level in this packet, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2nd level feature every Wizard subclass had that lets you copy spells of your chosen school into your spellbook in half the time and for half the cost just becomes a universal wizard feature. Choose which school you gain that benefit for when you gain the feature.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
45 subclasses would mean every class but Cleric and Wizard get 3, while those two get 7 and 8 respectively. 48 means that Death Domain, Oathbreaker, and one other subclass make it in.

What is that final subclass that breaks the bank? That's about as mysterious to me as the 5 subclasses they'd be adding to round out the Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Ranger, and Sorcerer. I sort of feel like these 6 questionmark subclasses will be something entirely new - remember that they said they wanted the Rules Expansion Gift Set to be as meaningfully expanding the 2024 Core Rules as it is to the 2014 Core Rules.

That would mean that Xanathar's and Tasha's subclasses would be off-limits. I GUESS they could add in outstanding things like the Path of the Battlerager, but I sort of feel like if they haven't revived a subclass from SCAG yet, they don't intend to. Narratively, The Undead replaces The Undying, for example.

I also feel like this could be a chance to reboot some of the early subclass trap options, or else options that step on each other's toes. Death and Grave Domains are a great example - in an ideal game, we'd have one domain that could handle both concepts, given that they're both talking about the Gods of Death.

JEB

Legend
Keep in mind that we don't know yet if four subclass slots at 3, 6, 10, and 14 will be standard across all four class groups. We only know that it's the case for Experts.

Likewise, 48 / 12 = 4 doesn't mean four subclasses per class. They could achieve the same total number of subclasses simply by keeping the current spread, and giving one more each to seven of the classes.

JEB

Legend
That would mean that Xanathar's and Tasha's subclasses would be off-limits.
You make a compelling argument, but worth noting that some will already need revision to work optimally with the 1D&D Expert structures, and I imagine more will in the other categories as well. Certainly provides an excuse for moving some into core. It's possible they may hold off on those options for a non-core update book post 2024, though.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Each class has 3 subclasses, and the rest are variations on wizard and cleric. ;)

Honestly though, I'm ready to move away from each Wizard school is a subclass. They could make it a bit like warlock where there's a pick that gives a few adjustments for school, and then a bunch of flavorful actual subclasses.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Keep in mind that we don't know yet if four subclass slots at 3, 6, 10, and 14 will be standard across all four class groups. We only know that it's the case for Experts.

Likewise, 48 / 12 = 4 doesn't mean four subclasses per class. They could achieve the same total number of subclasses simply by keeping the current spread, and giving one more each to seven of the classes.
That's what I assume will happen... Barbarians, Bards, Clerics, Druids, Paladins, Rangers, Sorcerers, and one other would each get an extra subclass. Cleric & Paladin bc of 2014 DMG subclasses. The others because they only had 2 in 2014. The last is a wild card.

FYI, there were only 40 subclasses in the 2014 PHB, not 41.

Remove ads