• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E combat and powers: How to keep the baby and not the bathwater?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Sorry, ok, that's funny and I admit it.

Then again, I thought this was a thread about D&D. 4e does rewrite the magic system, true. But, that's not quite the position I was taking. I thought that JC had rewritten 3e to do what he wanted.

He hasn't. He's created an entirely new system - classless, with no vancian magic, and no feats - I'm pretty willing to say that this isn't even in the same category as D&D.
Classless, yes. I do use spell slots, but I also use the Weaving skill to cast without consuming spells. I do use feats, but I basically went from a clean slate, rather than sifting through the thousands upon thousands of 3.X feats. But, yes, I'd agree that it's a different beast from D&D.

4e, OTOH, while rewriting the magic system, is far, far closer to 3e than what JC is talking about. Taking Vancian magic out of D&D doesn't make it not-D&D, at least for me, but, changing pretty much every element of the game? Yeah, that makes it not-D&D.
Well, 4e changed quite a bit (healing, +1/2 level, different mechanics for monsters and PCs, powers, and a host of others things etc.), but many people consider it D&D (and rightfully so). When 3.X came out, it had changed even more things (addition of feats and skills, etc.), but most people considered it D&D as well.

In 5e, I'm okay with it changing a lot of things. They can write it in a way that keeps classes, Vancian magic, and the like, too. I'm not trying to get them to copy my system; no, I have that already. I'm taking lessens learned from writing my system, and seeing how they apply to D&D 5e.

That is, when rewriting spells for 5e (just like they did for 3e, and just like they did for 4e), they can build in mechanics that play off of existing mechanics, rather than bypassing them. The new Invisibility spell can allow you to hide (use the Hide skill, etc.) without cover or concealment, for example, but not just say "you can't be seen." When rewriting divination magic, they can say "you can only gather common knowledge, or obscure knowledge if you succeed on a Cha check (or Gather Information / Leadership / Streetwise / Local / whatever skill would be used to gather information from the masses)."

I'm talking about 5e, too. Not 4e, not 3e. In 5e, when they completely rewrite every spell (like they always do), they can write them in such a way that they'll use existing mechanics, rather than bypass them. And thus, Fighters get better bonuses from attack and AC buffs, Bards are better at understanding languages with Comprehend Languages, Thieves are better at hiding while Invisible, and the like.

But, yeah, I can see how you could read it that way. :D
My point was simply that it happens every edition. Might as well balance spells while you're doing it, and this is just my preferred method. Obviously people differ on that, and that's cool, too. As always, play what you like :)

pemerton

Legend
How hard would it be to make keywords for physical forced movement vs. persuaded forced movement?
4e has such keywords. The Wight power Horrid Visage, for example, has the fear keyword and pushes all targets in a blast. It is very clear that this "pushing" is the targets in question falling back from fear when confronted by the undead's horrid visage.

Come and Get It, by having no keyword, leaves it open to the player to always generate forced movement regardless of the immunities of the targets his/her PC is confronting. Having no keyword is a power-up.

Whether you can explain the mechanic in game (which you almost always can), and whether it comes with "default" fluff that meshes with everything else, are two separate things.

Take hit points, for example, the favorite whipping boy of simulation vs. narrative discussions. Hit points are described as wounds, luck, morale, fatigue, the ability to turn lethal blows into less lethal ones, and more, and are treated as one or more of those in various ways. Falling damage and poisoned stingers treat them as wounds, temporary HP and morale-based healing treat them as morale, weapon damage often treats them as luck+fatigue and more. There is no "default fluff" that works for everyone that covers every instance in the rules.

<snip>

HP can be fluffed as fatigue, luck, and damage mitigation, until you come up against an ability that delivers effects on a successful attack and you have to determine whether the attacker actually made contact. HP can be fluffed as partly morale, but then you have issues like how a 3e crusader/4e warlock "encourages" an unconscious person who can't hear him to get back up and keep fighting.
I'm not saying that there must always be a one-to-one mapping of flavor to mechanics, I'm saying that there is a problem if you have some mechanics have one flavor in some circumstances and another flavor in others without consistent rationale.

<snip>

Crusader/warlord healing doesn't work well when paired with falling damage, as you have a HP-as-morale healing effect attempting to heal HP-as-wound damage.

<snip>

The lack of consistency in the explanation of HP is the problem I'm highlighting--specifically, that many mechanics in the post-AD&D editions have thrown up their hands and abstracted things away without giving thought to the in-game rationale. Leaving things up to the DM to decide in his game results in something like having one DM use 3e or 4e HP as written, one use the Vitality/Wounds variant, and one use HP-as-wounds.
I'm not seeing the problem. One group uses hit points. Another uses V/W. Another uses RQ (integrated hp and crit mechanics). Another uses Rolemaster (crit mechanics, with a secondary hit point mechanic that plays a very different role from D&D hp). Another uses Burning Wheel (crit mechanic with no hp).

What's wrong with that?

As to the ability of hit points in 4e to handle the situations you describe - how does a warlord "heal" a character who has taken damage from falling? By urging the character to continue despite his/her injuries. How does a warlord "heal" an unconscious character? There are at least two versions of this: one is that the character has an inspiring dream in which the warlord figures (think Aragorn dreamin of Arwen after he falls over the cliff in the LotR movie); another is that the unconcsious character is roused from unconsicousness by a faint sound, and through barely-open eyes sees someone yelling words of concern/encouragement/command at him/her (think of the scene out of any number of movies about military heroism).

For those who don't want to run this sort of game, use hit points as meat, or V/W, or whatever. I've got nothing against those options. But I won't agree that 4e hit points can't work. And I also won't agree that it has no advantages - Burning Wheel, for example, has a very nice wounds system, and a very nice morale system, and a very nice system for pushing on despite wounds, but has no mechanic for drawing on your morale in order to push on despite wounds. So BW can do something 4e can't - gritty feel - but 4e can do something BW can't - morale being used to push on despite wounds.

Marking is another inconsistent mechanic.

<snip>

If you provide a single, coherent explanation for what's going on, then not only do you allow players and DMs to logically deduce effects of the mechanic in game, but you can also refluff it without changing the mechanics--for instance, if marking means following people very closely, then you can determine that a mark is logically broken if the marking creature is immobilized (for instance), and you can also determine that if you refluff it to be scaring people that there are now different ways to break a mark and you need to take those into account.
It seems to me that you "refluffing", here, is changing the mechanics - in particular, immunity to fear now provides immunity to marking, whereas in the core rules this is not so.

But anyway, marking isn't a problem in my view, for the reasons Hussar gives:

To me, some mechanics are purely meta-game in nature. The 4e fighter's marking powers are a good example of this. What happens in game when a fighter marks a target? Nothing whatsoever. Nothing in that game world changes. However, at a metagame level, the fighter is using some of his agency to influence the outcome of the situation.
I don't know if I agree that a fighter mark is always metagame - in some contexts it can easily be seen as having some ingame manifestation - but I agree that it has a strong metagame component. It is a metagame technique whereby the player says to the GM, "If you dont' attack my PC with those monsters, I will hose them, by taking extra attacks and by burdening them with unluck tokens on that attack."

it all comes down to the difference between the game providing a default, consistent explanation/mechanic for everything and allowing DMs and players to extrapolate from there (good) and the game providing no explanation/mechanic for something and expecting DMs and players to make stuff up (bad). Having fluff or crunch for something that exists at all, and that can be referenced by other fluff/crunch and changed or ignored if a DM wants, is always better than having none at all for it and making it either inconsistent or existing in a vacuum.
When you say "always better" I assume you mean "always better for your preferred playstyle". I can tell you it's not always better per se, because at the moment at least I am enjoying my 4e campaign more than I enjoyed my previous RM campaign (and I can tell you, I enjoyed that campaign a lot!), and that is because 4e is better than RM at giving what I want from my game, and that part of that is precisely the "fortune in the middle" mechanics of 4e, which leave GMs and players to (as you put it) "make stuff up".

pemerton

Legend
4E didn't get rid of the 15 minute work day. It really didn't. The option is still there. The behaviour can still happen. It has only been obscured by the encounter mechanics.

<snip>

The only difference is the invention of encounter powers which put players into a different mindset.
The behaviour is still mechanically supported, if the players are of mind to work that way.
I think there is a fairly clear difference between 4e and earlier editions of D&D. In earlier editions of D&D, a wizard's powers are almost entirely on a daily allotment, and the same is true for the bulk of a cleric's powers (putting wands of cure light wounds to one side).

In 4e, on the other hand, daily powers are only a modest component of any PC's powers. And a significant portion of a leader's healing ability is located in encounter powers.

Whether that is enough to tip the balance away from a 15-min adventuring day will be a group-by-group thing. But it's a pretty big mechanical change, and I don't think it's very surprising that for some (many?) groups it makes the difference. (It has certainly made a big difference for my group. The 15-min day was the norm for our RM group, and there were PCs built around the goal of being able to unload all their spell points - which are recovered on a daily basis - in a single round. The 15-min day is barely present in our 4e game.)

BryonD

Hero
I think there is a fairly clear difference between 4e and earlier editions of D&D.
*chuckle* particularly coming soon soon after the other comment :)

In 4e, on the other hand, daily powers are only a modest component of any PC's powers. And a significant portion of a leader's healing ability is located in encounter powers.
I can't speak to this much, since I'm in the camp that doesn't observe the 15MAD issue. But it has frequently been described to me that a big part of 15MAD comes from not being "optimally" ready. Your comment suggests that in 4E because so many power are "encounter" they always come back, whereas in prior editions because the wizards powers are all daily they are gone, thus implying that the wizard novas and has *nothing* left. This happens *VERY* rarely. If that was the complaint the issue would stand even less.

What does happen is that the wizard will be out of or low on fireball or invisibility, or whatever. And the party will discuss the fact that they are not at full strength. And, as described by people who complain about 15MAD this is the issue that triggers "go home and rest". It is about being at less than full when you could go back to full, rather than "oh no, I'm completely tapped out."

If your dailies are gone you are still at less than full strength. So it seems no different to me. If anything, when a 4E character has spent his dailies, his top tier tricks are gone. When everything is "daily" having some portion of them spent doesn't automatically carry the same weight.

Again, I readily admit I can't speak much to this issue since it isn't a problem I have. But I don't see the difference here or how the point of wizards powers being all "daily" really supports it as it has been historically argued.

Clearly a fair portion of the pro-4e niche does see this issue in prior editions. So it exists. I just don't buy that this point fits with the complaint as usually described. IMO it really seems to come back down more to an issue of narrative control. I don't have a 15MAD issue *not* because anything in the PF mechanics but because the adventuring days is narrative driven and both the characters and the players are pushed in a direction of managing the big picture series of narrative events as opposed to managing based on mechanics. 4E "fixed" the problem with mechanics. But now you have mechanics fixing a narrative problem. And if that isn't as problem you have the consequences of the trade off to "fix" that problem still exist.

I have an interesting example that is almost a backwards example.
In my current campaign the 15MAD happens routinely.
It happens more often than not.

I'm running kingmaker. The way that campaign runs there can be weeks or even months between encounters. The players usually hold something back because they never know for certain that nothing else will happen. But they are pretty free with their resources.

But I expect it would be exactly the same thing if run on 4E. The one encounter nova is a standard part of the narrative directive of this campaign. The players go in knowing that they can be a bit more free with their spell slots and if the game were 4E they'd be just as free with their dailies. The mechanical system is irrelevant to this issue because it is the narrative choices of the campaign that are driving it.

And there are some location based pieces of the story. And when the party comes to those, 15MAD goes away instantly. And I've no doubt that future campaigns will be more like all the past campaigns. 15MAD won't be 100% absent. It will happen those times that the narrative calls for it. And that is a feature. I want the narrative in control of that.

Zustiur

Explorer
I think there is a fairly clear difference between 4e and earlier editions of D&D. In earlier editions of D&D, a wizard's powers are almost entirely on a daily allotment, and the same is true for the bulk of a cleric's powers (putting wands of cure light wounds to one side).

Certainly, and I wouldn't dream of disputing that.
My point was that it's still available. 4E didn't remove it. It just made it less effective, and gave the characters stuff they could do after going nova.

Oddly, I've experienced the problem more since switching to 4E, than I ever did with 3E. That comes back to players and mindsets though.
--------

I keep coming back to the original question of this thread: What are the good bits of 4E combat, and how can we keep them without including the bad bits of 4E combat?

I guess that way to answer that methodically is to first ask ourselves; What did 4E do?

To that I answer the following:
4E made the following improvements:
1. Reduced the benefits of the 15 minute adventuring day (by reducing the ability to go 'nova', and leaving characters with some power after using dailies)
2. Reduced the repetitive nature of combat (particularly when viewed round by round)
3. Balanced spellcasters with martial characters
4. Removed ability score altering effects (thus, less recalculation)
5. Reduced 'save or suck' effects
6. Reduced reliance on healing magic and clerics
7. Special attacks are available through powers
8. Page 42 exists to cover gaps
9. Introduced minions, elites and solos
10. Switched to Attack vs Defense mechanic rather than the old saving throw system

Unfortunately, each of those changes came with a flaw:
1. The 15 minute work day is still possible, and non-magic daily/encounter powers offend many players
2. Combat is still repetitive because you use the same powers ever battle, albeit not in the same round.
3. Homogeneity of all classes offends many players by turning martial types into 'casters'.
4. Introduced more effect tracking and more frequent changes in the bonuses and penalties that you need to account for.
5. While you might suck for less rounds, rounds take longer (as a general rule) so you sit out for just as long. Target lockdown is still possible.
6. Healing surges, shouting wounds closed and various other things are seen as issues.
7. Special attacks have no clear definition outside of powers.
8. Page 42 deserves/needs expanding
9. Minions leave players feeling 'flat' while elites and solos often cause combat grind.
10. There is less meaningful variety in spell duration

There are a few things 4E did improve, without any apparent drawbacks:
* Move/Minor/Standard/Free is a good mechanic, and it's explained clearly in the book
* Consistent effects and effect terminology make for less time checking books during game.

Unfortunately there are also things that 4E did not improve.
* Dump stats still exist, in some ways more so than before (due to attribute pairing)
* The math puts more emphasis on high stats because you never improve your accuracy vs equal level creatures
* You still need magic items to be viable at high level
* High monster HP makes hitting with every attack more valuable - damage per round (DPR) is more important
* Spells (powers) still take up a huge percentage of book space
* Some attributes are still more valuable (across the board) than others. e.g. Str compared with Cha.

------
Now, each of you will no doubt have differing opinions over which of the above statements is important, and which is not. That is not the discussion I want to see.

I want to see suggestions of how those same improvements can be made without implementing the same drawbacks. A suggestion does not mean 'this is what will be', nor does it mean 'this is what I want'. It's just brainstorming ideas.

For example:
To get rid of the 15 minute work day, I can immediately think of these mechanical options:
* Use spell points
* Use regenerating powers (by time or dice roll)
* Reduce magic to be on par with physical action, but have no restriction on how many times you can use it

I'm sure there are many more ways.

Discuss :)

Mattachine

Adventurer
More edition warring. It's getting tiresome.

Isn't this thread about which aspects of 4e combat might be kept for the new edition?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Unfortunately, each of those changes came with a flaw:
1. The 15 minute work day is still possible, and non-magic daily/encounter powers offend many players
2. Combat is still repetitive because you use the same powers ever battle, albeit not in the same round.
3. Homogeneity of all classes offends many players by turning martial types into 'casters'.
4. Introduced more effect tracking and more frequent changes in the bonuses and penalties that you need to account for.
5. While you might suck for less rounds, rounds take longer (as a general rule) so you sit out for just as long. Target lockdown is still possible.
6. Healing surges, shouting wounds closed and various other things are seen as issues.
7. Special attacks have no clear definition outside of powers.
8. Page 42 deserves/needs expanding
9. Minions leave players feeling 'flat' while elites and solos often cause combat grind.

I think that's a fair list. I run a hack of 4E and I've made some changes that deal with these issues - in a way that works for my personal tastes.

[sblock]1. I changed the game system to apply a system-governed cost to time. In the game there are NPC groups called "Lairs". As time passes they grow more and more powerful and their reach across the map expands. This makes it harder and harder for PCs to achieve their goals - and goals are how PCs gain XP and progress past certain level thresholds ("tier bands" is what I call them).

The 15-minute adventuring day still exists, but it's not always an optimal solution.

2. I use a combat system that's detailed but not abstract: you have to describe what your character's doing and we resolve that action instead of an abstract rules module like "Trip", "Grapple", or "Spinning Sweep".

Since monsters are varied combat becomes varied, i.e. wolves fight differently than do giants.

3. As part of the above, martial encounter powers rely on fictional, in-game trigger conditions that must be met before they can be used. They can be used at-will as long as the condition is met. Thus it doesn't feel like you're casting "Spinning Sweep"; it feels like you're setting up a combat manoeuvre.

4. I limited the modifiers to a small list and let the fictional, in-game weight of various actions handle the rest. e.g. If someone puts you in an arm lock, you can't use that arm.

5. Rounds go by much quicker, and because of morale checks, combats don't last as many rounds as a general rule.

6. Martial healing powers are now explicitly magical.

7. Since we resolve actions instead of rules modules, there's no need to define special attacks - every attack can be considered "special".

8. I've explicitly defined how and when you use page 42 - when you use those DCs and damage expressions. Hmm, not so much for damage expressions.

9. Minions represent non-combatants. Haven't touched elites or solos as there's little grind left in the system - morale checks deal with that.

10. Haven't done anything there. Still a problem. Not that big a problem, though.[/sblock]

Unfortunately there are also things that 4E did not improve.
1. Dump stats still exist, in some ways more so than before (due to attribute pairing)
2. The math puts more emphasis on high stats because you never improve your accuracy vs equal level creatures
3. You still need magic items to be viable at high level
4. High monster HP makes hitting with every attack more valuable - damage per round (DPR) is more important
5. Spells (powers) still take up a huge percentage of book space
6. Some attributes are still more valuable (across the board) than others. e.g. Str compared with Cha.

More changes:

[sblock]1. PC generation is by rolling 3d6 in order, then assigning a 16 to one stat. There is no option to dump stats in such a system.

2. There's no assumption that you will fight equal-level NPCs; players choose the level of risk they are willing to have their PCs meet. 2nd-level PCs can end up against 11th-level monsters (as happened two sessions ago), and the reverse is also possible (and more likely).

3. Because of the above, magic items aren't required; what they do is allow the players to take on greater risk (for greater reward).

4. Haven't changed this, may have made it worse (because of how morale checks work).

5. Didn't write the books, so this is something I can't change. :)

6. Haven't fixed this, though I've changed it. Any check can be associated with any stat, as long as it makes sense. Reaction rolls increase the value of charisma - it's probably the most important stat, since most encounters begin with a reaction roll modified by Cha mod.[/sblock]

Hussar

Legend
More edition warring. It's getting tiresome.

Isn't this thread about which aspects of 4e combat might be kept for the new edition?

Umm, what?

How is any of this edition warring? No one is saying Edition X sucks because of this or that element. Sure, we might have preferences for the way Edition X resolves various issues, and that gets to the heart of what should be kept for a new edition.

As edition warring goes this is probably one of the more polite discussions I've had in a while. Heck, it's even got nose tweaking and no one's getting fussed. :D

There is nothing wrong with comparing editions. That's part and parcel to how you come up with new mechanics. And, I'd hasten to point out, the medium makes things look more intractable than they really are. It's all part of debating and discussion. I'm fairly willing to see the other side here (I think) and everyone else seems to be willing too.

Just because we don't happen to agree doesn't make it edition warring.

Just as a point:

Zar said:
3. You still need magic items to be viable at high level

This one isn't quite such and issue actually. Inherent bonuses make the need for plussed items pretty much a non issue. Since stat bonus items are largely removed, you can play 4e with very little magic with no problems.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
Spoilering a looong post for space.

[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s post:

[sblock]
4e has such keywords. The Wight power Horrid Visage, for example, has the fear keyword and pushes all targets in a blast. It is very clear that this "pushing" is the targets in question falling back from fear when confronted by the undead's horrid visage.

The fear keyword implies that the forced movement is persuasive rather than physical, true. However, (A) it isn't a keyword for the forced movement itself (i.e. not all persuasive movement is fear-based, so you can't use it for every case) and (B) such a keyword wasn't applied universally. If they had distinguished between the two types and done so consistently, there wouldn't be a problem.

Come and Get It, by having no keyword, leaves it open to the player to always generate forced movement regardless of the immunities of the targets his/her PC is confronting. Having no keyword is a power-up.

It's not a matter of power; [force] spells are strictly better than [fire] spells in 3e in all but the very few cases where monsters are immune to force, and that's fine, no one's clamoring to add more unneeded descriptors to [force] effects to nerf them. It's a matter of consistency: there are some monsters who reasonably should be immune or resistant to persuasive forced movement, and some who should be immune to resistant to physical forced movement, just as there are those who should be immune or resistant to fear, psychic damage, or other effects.

I'm not seeing the problem. One group uses hit points. Another uses V/W. Another uses RQ (integrated hp and crit mechanics). Another uses Rolemaster (crit mechanics, with a secondary hit point mechanic that plays a very different role from D&D hp). Another uses Burning Wheel (crit mechanic with no hp).

What's wrong with that?

The fact that there is no base system in common for all the rules. It's one thing for a given group to use, say, the RQ version of hit points, or for a given variant subsystem to introduce RQ hit points instead of the normal D&D hit points. The problem with inconsistent HP fluff is that you have someone dealing damage with one HP system, healing it with another, and preventing it with a third. Having a crusader or warlord heal the HP of someone who just took damage from a fall is the flavor equivalent of taking a vitality healing spell from a Vitality/Wounds game and using it to heal a Rolemaster character--you can try to increase their vitality or remove their fatigue or morale them up to ignore it or whatever, but that won't help as much as physical healing if they just took a dive off a cliff, and doing so just doesn't always make sense.

That's all I'm going for here. You can use whichever HP system or forced movement system or whatever that you like in your games, and I can use whichever I like in mine, but the base system should pick one flavor or set of flavors for a given subsystem and stick with it, both to make the base system consistent without tweaking and to allow you to replace it wholesale without running into problems.

As to the ability of hit points in 4e to handle the situations you describe - how does a warlord "heal" a character who has taken damage from falling? By urging the character to continue despite his/her injuries. How does a warlord "heal" an unconscious character? There are at least two versions of this: one is that the character has an inspiring dream in which the warlord figures (think Aragorn dreamin of Arwen after he falls over the cliff in the LotR movie); another is that the unconcsious character is roused from unconsicousness by a faint sound, and through barely-open eyes sees someone yelling words of concern/encouragement/command at him/her (think of the scene out of any number of movies about military heroism).

Flip that around, and have a physical healing effect try to heal someone's morale-based damage. Someone is scared half to death, and someone's first aid kit restores their self-esteem? Or take the "avoiding blows until the one that drops you to 0" interpretation--you manage to dodge most blows, except the ones that have poison/a paralyzing touch/whatever because you need those to hit but they only deal a tiny bit of damage, so a giant wasp is more able to actually physically hit you than a master swordsman or a dragon?

Yes, any interpretation of HP you use has a perfectly rational explanation. The problem is that 3e and 4e use multiple interpretations of HP and multiple (often different) interpretations of healing at the same time. If you have every damaging effect in the game assume HP-as-wounds, then you can use both morale healing and physical healing just fine; one heals the wounds themselves, the other lets you ignore them. If you have every damaging effect in the game assume HP-as-morale, then you can deal with cliff-diving and combat just fine; one bangs you up to the point that you really don't want to move, the other slowly wears down your resolve until you want to surrender. It just doesn't work to have X kinds of healing and Y kinds of damage and mix them together haphazardly because the designers couldn't settle on one consistent take on HP.

For those who don't want to run this sort of game, use hit points as meat, or V/W, or whatever. I've got nothing against those options. But I won't agree that 4e hit points can't work. And I also won't agree that it has no advantages - Burning Wheel, for example, has a very nice wounds system, and a very nice morale system, and a very nice system for pushing on despite wounds, but has no mechanic for drawing on your morale in order to push on despite wounds. So BW can do something 4e can't - gritty feel - but 4e can do something BW can't - morale being used to push on despite wounds.

Nitpick: Burning Wheel doesn't have a system currently implemented to do that, but given both a mechanic for morale and a mechanic for pushing past your limits you could have a Power Attack-style "take X penalty to morale/make X check against morale/etc., gain Y benefit for pushing on despite wounds" mechanic, and it would be more internally consistent than the 3e and 4e take on the matter. Then again, Vitality/Wounds is also more consistent fairly often, it just has bad mechanical implications for a heroic game.

And once again, note that I'm not talking about just 4e here: 3e has hit points just as bad, in fact often worse because they didn't really implement morale healing until later in the edition where 4e had it from the start. I just brought up the D&D hit point system, not one particular version of it...though I must admit, I'm biased to like 1e's hit point system best since it picks one view of HP (HP-as-wounds) and sticks with it much better than other editions and also keeps hit point growth in check and has other rules to avoid most of the problems with too-durable PCs.

It seems to me that you "refluffing", here, is changing the mechanics - in particular, immunity to fear now provides immunity to marking, whereas in the core rules this is not so.

I must not have been clear--I'm not saying that you should be able to refluff 4e marking now and get benefits for it, I'm saying that (A) if they had given a particular in-game rationale, and if they do give one in 5e, they could hook other mechanics like morale, fear, mindlessness, mobility, etc. to it to make the rules a more consistent whole rather than having things like damage, penalties, movement, etc. that are subject to tags and resistance and such while other things like forced movement, marking, etc. "just work," and (B) if the fighter mark works a certain way in-game and the paladin mark works a different way, then you can introduce more tactical considerations like different stacking, different ways to break marks, and so forth, rather than leaving the base fluff for some of them up in the air and just stating that no marks stack just because.

But anyway, marking isn't a problem in my view, for the reasons Hussar gives:

I don't know if I agree that a fighter mark is always metagame - in some contexts it can easily be seen as having some ingame manifestation - but I agree that it has a strong metagame component. It is a metagame technique whereby the player says to the GM, "If you dont' attack my PC with those monsters, I will hose them, by taking extra attacks and by burdening them with unluck tokens on that attack."

See, in my view, purely metagame mechanics shouldn't be visible to game units. If a fighter marks a creature, it knows it's marked and knows the consequences...so the fighter is doing absolutely nothing in game to mark the creature yet the creature somehow knows that that particular doing-absolutely-nothing happened and can--not only can, but is expected to!--change its behavior based on that? That makes no sense.

If the creature knows what's happening to it, there should be something happening in the game world to cause it, and vice versa, or you have something that neither the fighter nor the creature know is going on, but you shouldn't mix the two. Take Force points and Destiny points as an example from SWSE: spending Force points lets you add to d20 rolls and trigger certain abilities, while spending Destiny points lets you do things like negate hits, auto-crit things, activate better abilities, and such. You get 1 Destiny point per level and have at least 5+1/2 level Force points at any given time. They're fluffed as being the invisible will of the Force guiding people's actions, and there's no way for people in-game to know how many of either they have or when they or other characters use one or the like. If the PCs get to a big boss battle and dump a bunch of Destiny points on auto-critting the boss and the boss dumps a bunch of Destiny points to make them miss, there is nothing happening in-game to signify this and no character is expected to change his in-game behavior because of this. (There are several problems with that system such as outnumbering the bosses Destiny point-wise and playing more confident when you have more points stored up, but those are mechanical issues with the quantity and frequency of points acquisition rather than flavor ones.)

So it would be reasonable for marking to be a metagame thing if creatures explicitly did not know they were marked unless someone noted it in-game, e.g. "Foul demon, I challenge thee, lay not a finger on my companions or Pelor's wrath blah blah blah" (and even then, you could be bluffing about marking someone), and the fighter was able to make extra attacks and effectively grant +2 AC to all allies because he's Just That Good or Because Plot. It would also be reasonable for marks to be a particular in-game thing, as people seem to want and as the game basically treats them, and have creatures being able to react to them. Having a purely-metagame thing impinge on the game world with no explanation, though, comes back to the issue of inconsistent fluff.

When you say "always better" I assume you mean "always better for your preferred playstyle". I can tell you it's not always better per se, because at the moment at least I am enjoying my 4e campaign more than I enjoyed my previous RM campaign (and I can tell you, I enjoyed that campaign a lot!), and that is because 4e is better than RM at giving what I want from my game, and that part of that is precisely the "fortune in the middle" mechanics of 4e, which leave GMs and players to (as you put it) "make stuff up".

By always better I mean from a design perspective: the old truism of "better to have X and not need it than need X and not have it" and all that. Perhaps it is my experience as a software developer that leads me to insist on consistency in flavor and mechanics rather than the 3e/4e hodgepodge of having some things highly codified and others left up to fiat--to use a programming analogy, it's much better to build your system to work correctly in a vacuum and provide good APIs and plugin support for later customization than to leave a few features for DLC or modding and just assume they'll be filled in well later--but it also comes down to the fact that these mistakes (in my view) just didn't have to have been made in the first place and could have been done right so easily.

The 3e devs went to all this trouble to make a skill system, and one major complaint about 3e is that spells start to overshadow skills; it wouldn't have been difficult to change those spells to use the new skill system, since they were rewriting things anyway, but they didn't, and now it's both a perceived problem with the game and more trouble than it's worth to really redo yourself. The 4e devs went to all this trouble to make a combat maneuver system, and one major complaint about 4e is that improvised attacks and combat maneuvers are weaker and less reliable than powers; it wouldn't have been difficult to change those improvised actions to be generic-use powers in the same power system like the Basic Attack powers are, since they were codifying things anyway, but they didn't, and now it's both a perceived problem with the game and more trouble than it's worth to really redo yourself.

It's that fact that these problems could have been fixed so easily by the devs in the design stage, yet they were left there and ended up causing so many players to have problems with or dislike the system, that leads me to insist so much that 5e sit down and make things work right the first time, instead of leaving things to be fixed by players like they did with the last two editions.[/sblock]

[MENTION=1544]Zustiur[/MENTION]'s post:

[sblock]
I keep coming back to the original question of this thread: What are the good bits of 4E combat, and how can we keep them without including the bad bits of 4E combat?

I guess that way to answer that methodically is to first ask ourselves; What did 4E do?

To that I answer the following:
4E made the following improvements:

I'll address these individually. If I don't mention something, either I agree or I disagree to a small enough extent that it's not worth nitpicking.

Improvements:

3. Balanced spellcasters with martial characters

Note that this is only a good thing with respect to combat spells; losing the win-button spells was good for martial/magic parity. Out of combat, loss of many of the more "interesting" effects and/or making them much harder to access made exploration and other non-combat things less interesting, and there were plenty of "noncombat" spells that were usable in combat and couldn't be duplicated by martial types yet were quite fun and balanced. So I agree with you on this 70% or so.

4. Removed ability score altering effects (thus, less recalculation)

The existence of ability score reducers as well as the existence of negative levels was a good one, actually, in my opinion; they provide mechanical variety and handy effects (e.g. it's much more elegant to have negative levels that say "take -X to every roll and lose 5X hit points" than to have a bunch of different mechanical takes on life draining). The problem with them was too much calculation, as you noted, and their ability to take you out of combat by bypassing HP. Making stats and effective level have minima of 1 would have solved the latter issue, and implementing 4e stats such that you didn't have multiples and half-multiples of Str everywhere or multiple stats adding to single things would have solved the former.

Really, stat damage could easily be implemented in 4e without much hassle. If you deal 2X Dex damage to a character, what happens? Drop Dex-based attacks, AC, and Ref by X. If you deal 2X Con damage to a character, what happens? Drop Con-based attacks by X and HP by 2X. No carrying capacity to worry about, no adding Wis and Dex and Int to AC, no Str-and-a-half to weapons, practically none of the fiddly bits that made it a pain in 3e remain in 4e. I'd actually like to see the return of other penalties like stat damage and negative levels (if not those exact things) in 5e, though obviously rarer/later than in AD&D/3e so those who dislike them wouldn't have to run into them.

8. Page 42 exists to cover gaps

Rants already made--I don't think it deserves expansion but rather replacement. Just noting my disagreement.

9. Introduced minions, elites and solos

Nitpick: minions and elites already basically existed in 3e as well. Just give enemies either the common array and minimum HP or heroic stats and max HP, and give the minions the various teamwork/aid another/swarmfighting/etc. feats and spells if you want synergy. Action-economy benefits for solos existed in the form of spells in 3e, so while adding solos in 4e gave them access to those effects in a more elegant and universal manner you can still run a "solo wizard with elite guards and minions" battle just fine in 3e without much or any houseruling.

10. Switched to Attack vs Defense mechanic rather than the old saving throw system

This isn't something better so much as it is a matter of taste. The time-saving argument doesn't really apply as long you make separate attacks against each creature: A 3e PC wizard tosses a fireball and the DM makes a ton of saves for the NPCs, then the 3e NPC wizard tosses a fireball and the PCs each make one save; a 4e PC wizard tosses a fireball and makes a ton of attacks against the NPCs, then the 4e NPC wizard tosses a fireball and makes a ton of attacks against the PCs. No distributed effort there. You also lose the ability to use saves outside of the save vs. effect framework (e.g. Reflex saves to catch yourself when you fall) and have the interesting fluff of a disease "attacking" your Fort defense. On the other hand, the system is much more consistent and elegant when the attacking party is the one that does the rolling.

I find that save vs. effect and attack vs. defense are both inferior to the "PCs roll all the dice" variant, as that does speed things up (the above case of the 3e PC wizard does all the rolling in this variant, freeing up the DM) and retains the benefits of out-of-combat use and flavor consistency.

Drawbacks:

I'd argue that this is actually a benefit, though again only for "combat" spells. Conceptually, it is better to have fewer, more standardized durations than to have more, more irregular durations, just like it's better for 3e spells to have a range of Touch/Short/Medium/Long than to have 30 feet or 60 feet or sight or a mile per level or other irregular ranges. Had 4e implemented durations more consistently, it could have worked out well. The devs instead relied on little changes like end of target's next turn vs. start of target's next turn to provide variety rather than providing any actual variety by having fewer, more consistent and more tactically interesting durations.

So, how I'd fix the drawbacks you mentioned as well as your advantages which I see as drawbacks:

15 minute work day: If daily powers are recoverable, most incentive for the 15-minute work day goes away, since everything else is already on a per-encounter basis. Implement a rule that the first short rest you take between encounters recovers one daily power, and add that you can spend an action point during a short rest to recover a second daily power. That changes "daily" powers to "ration over several encounters" powers, and not only disincentivizes the 15-minute work day (since now you can actually use more daily powers the further you go) but also partially addresses the martial dailies issue.

Repetitive power lineups: This one, I feel, is mostly due to the same-y-ness of powers in general and the fact that characters get too few of them. For a quick fix in 4e, change the power schedule such that you gain new powers at higher levels rather than retraining old ones (i.e. your powers known constantly grow) and allow each character to have some number of "floating powers" that can be used to trade things out during a short or extended rest. For a better fix in 5e, include a better variety of powers (everything should look more like the 4e wizard and less like the 4e ranger), mix up power frequency, and also allow power swapping from a limited list.

Class homogenization: It all comes down to the power schedule. At a minimum, use some AEDU, some Psionic, and some Essentials mechanics in 5e; I'd prefer something more like the Vancian/ToB/ToM/MoI levels of variety, but that's an absolute minimum.

Effect and bonus tracking: Simple: Ditch the BS "+X for one round" effects. Tactically interesting, mechanically nightmarish. Instead, have such powers last the whole encounter but be conditional; don't give +4 to attack for 1 round/1 attack, give +2 to all attacks against flanked creatures or whatever. Those kinds of situational-but-long-lasting bonuses you can write down and track much better than short-duration general stuff. Also, while you can have some of those powers, try to limit ongoing bonuses in favor of granting action options. Instead of giving you +5 to attack for a while grant an immediate attack, or instead of granting extra damage change the type of damage dealt, or something. That takes the same effort to track but both reduces computations and adds variety.

Round length: A lot of this comes from the bonus issue above and the fact that both everyone uses minor actions and everyone has situational actions that they use each round. If more powers were used once and continued on, rather than forcing people to choose to use boosting powers on each turn, and if the number of things to track and rolls to make were reduced, it would decrease turn length by extension.

Lockdown: If you have 4e-style saving throw durations, make all penalties and bonuses non-stacking, and cap them at +/-5. If you have just ongoing effects, allow saving throws/repeated attacks at increasing bonuses (for the target) or penalties (for the attacker) to break free.

Healing fluff: See my explanation above. If you stick with a single interpretation of HP, this problem tends to solve itself.

Non-power powers: Write a coherent improvisation framework rather than telling the DM to wing it.

Minions and elites: Use lower-level monsters in place of minions and higher-level monsters in place of elites; this also partially solves the "no attack bonuses relative to monsters" problem, though you'd have to increase expected hit rate in tandem.

Dump stats and attribute pairs: One solution I like is to evenly distribute what the stats can do (i.e. consider stats without pairings and ensure they're all relatively equally important) then wherever you pair attributes have them add 1/2 the lower stat bonus instead of just taking the highest. That gives a reason to actually have higher secondary stats in the pairs, and mitigates situations like Str/Con classes in 4e having worse defenses overall.

Bonus treadmill: Honestly, there's very little point to leveling if you're just going to increase numbers while keeping the same hit frequency. The problem here was just bad monster math in 4e. If instead of introducing Expertise feats and other stealth patches they had simply changed monsters to scale at 1/3 level or whatever, the math would be closer but with the PCs gaining in advantage, encouraging them to look for options instead of numerical boosts.

Required magic items: Contrary to Hussar's claim, you actually do need magic items, as you say, because it's the effects you want, not just the pure numbers. Inherent bonuses take care of the numbers, and I'd argue that skills and class features should take care of the effects. You don't need to pick up flying boots, bags of holding, staffs of fire, and a partridge in a pear tree if you can use Acrobatics to balance on air à la 3e epic skills, Athletics gives you a bigger carrying capacity, and your Pyromancer arcanist theme/kit/path/PrC gives you perks with fire powers and the ability to change powers to deal fire damage for free.

High monster HP: 4e fixed this with later monster math, just make that standard from the start.

Powers are too verbose: Interesting powers are always going to take up more space, since they're more detailed. However, most of the page space bloat comes from the boilerplate. If you establish a general power template and then general rules for each different kind of power, you don't need to repeat the level and area and range and stat and... for each power. At-will powers can be made into one- or two-liners this way, and even dailies would be significantly condensed. Also, get rid of the excess margins and larger font; they're unnecessary once you have a standard format and better descriptions.[/sblock]

pemerton

Legend
To get rid of the 15 minute work day, I can immediately think of these mechanical options:
* Use spell points
I've played a lot of Rolemaster, which uses spell points on a daily recovery cycle, and the 15 min day is as big an issue as in D&D (in some ways bigger, becaues with clever spell choice a PC can be built to use all his/her spell points in a single round).

So it depends a lot on how the deployment of spell points is regulated by the rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads