D&D (2024) 4e design in 5.5e ?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Another thing is 4e put alot of thought into epic level play with epic destinies and such, 5e doesn't even do Tier 4 very well and doesn't give much guidance on how to do it well or cool T4 adventures and even less for levels 21+. No wonder so few folks play T4 and beyond, WotC could do better exploring DM advise for it, and better rules and adventure support.
I think epic could use some work in 4e too but yes in comparison to 5e they had some kick ideas about how to enable players to invest in their own story with selectable paragon paths and epic destinies, which the DM ideally weaves into the story. Note the idea of PPs and echoed in ED are pretty much an expansion of "Name Level" from AD&D though in 1e there was kind of no player choice presented.

I think Epic Destinies could also bring on a sort of expected adversaries too. For example in a custom ED I am creating; By choosing the Akashic Blade (Carver of History), you bring to the story enemies tailored to you Paradoxi or Fates Defenders or whatever and open the stage for adventures in time travel.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Ultimately....I don't really know if there is a true solution to this problem. It very much seems like the two desired things--effective characters and easily-generated, truly random characters--are truly at odds. Being effective generally means falling in a certain range of power. Being truly random requires not falling in any particular range of power. Trimming the randomness to guarantee some competence either sacrifices simplicity and ease of use, or breaks the feeling of randomness, or (often) both.
I believe the problem is properly defining the spectrum a group want characters to fall in, and the features they value in selection. For example, I decided I wanted ability scores to net to +2, with nothing worse than -3 and nothing better than +3 at 1st-level. Additionally, I wanted to avoid overshadowing by having the ability scores for all characters sum to the same total. It was fairly straightforward to design a 12-card deck to draw from without replacement, drawing and summing two cards for each ability in the order drawn. I could instead have listed the complete set of arrays and have players roll for one at random for their character. Both give effective, easily generated, truly-random characters. (I suspect what you mean by truly-random isn't to do with random, but to do with yielding both arrays the group enjoys playing, and arrays they don't. That's a choice about the spectrum arrays will fall in, not really the generation methods.)

If one defines the problem as - can I have characters, some of which have far lower modifiers than we want to play and some of which will be mechanically ideal - then any 'solution' is going to produce that. If one instead defines the problem as - can I have characters falling fairly across the power spectrum that we want to use - then good random solutions are available.

The problem is having a clear enough definition for what = good in this context.

I think, in the end, they either need to be just marked as distinct approaches with a warning label on the random-gen option, or D&D needs to decide which matters more. Because forcing the appearance of randomness while actually, in the end, forcing pretty non-random results is not really tenable long-term.
Again, I don't believe it is the 'randomness' that is the heart of the problem you describe. The PHB methods have two shortfalls. Foremost the PHB doesn't tell groups why they should choose one method over another. It should start with motives, not methods. Second it offers only a very limited set of methods, when the 'tech' is available to offer more.

clearstream

(He, Him)
My very first DM told me to roll 3d6 six times, and that, no matter what, he wouldn't let me reroll. I proceeded to roll all six stats under 10. He watched the rolls, looked at me in horror, and told me to reroll.
The problem you describe is your DM choosing a method without sufficiently thinking through the features they wanted in character generation. The problem is lack of guidance as to motives for choosing a method in the PHB or DMG.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Getting back to the main topic I do not think Wizards should look back at previous versions either with an eye to avoid or bring back particular sorts of mechanics.
I agree and disagree. D&D has always had a strong traditional element sometimes this can bring good things to the table sometimes not when looking at mechanics I agree It can mire the game in its tradition so growth is slow. On the other hand fantasy "story" itself is heavily about nostalgic connections so sometimes you can see story in the past mechanics. For instance 1e had a flavor of one man army for the fighter where he could cut down multitudes of minions he was also intended to be a defender of his squishier allies. 4e gave me that defender story and made it work well. 1e had fighters with followers and a castle. Level up added that to its Warlord just as I rather did in 4e when I added the Martial Practice called Marshal Troops. There are clues within the mechanics of the past.... and when 4e made the Warlord finally core its spark came from earlier editions like Alexander the great and Bellesarius mentioned in the 2e PHB and tadah in TBo9S some of its mechanics. Not ignoring the past and capitalizing on it is good, making it into a limit not so much.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Getting back to the main topic I do not think Wizards should look back at previous versions either with an eye to avoid or bring back particular sorts of mechanics. There is such a vast number of new players who have no experience with previous versions of the game. They should listen to what those players want, come up with designs, and test them. Us old heads are not particularly relevant (whether we like 4e or not).
I mean...this reads a bit like saying we must, without exception, totally abandon all ideas from the past 20 years of car engineering and design in order to make cars that appeal to the young, hip car buyer. Just because something is old does not mean it has no value. Trying to make an absolute clean break would be as bad as trying to change nothing at all--worse, most likely, since it is old hands who predominantly fill the most important role, as Dungeon Masters.

There's stuff to learn from asking tough questions and getting good data about 0e. The same may be said if literally every edition. From the answers and data, you then establish clear design goals, and critically examine how to accomplish those goals. Once you have your system, actually bloody TEST it--not just by saying how it feels, but by collecting data and seeing if it does, on average and in general, do what it's supposed to do.

And if it just so happens that the data leads you toward a solution that resembles a prior edition, so be it.

I don't think that WotC has been catering to old fans at all: not since the D&D Next Playtest when they were courting the Pathfinder and OSR crowds. Since then though? It seems mostly oriented towards the Critical Role crowd and the newcomers.
The Banneret seemed pretty transparently an attempt to reach out to both 4e and OSR fans...but only maybe successful with the latter. The focus on popular classic adventures of yesteryear also looks rather a lot like still putting pre-WOTC fans at least reasonably high on the priority list. What things would you say they've done to OSR fans that look anything like the snubbing 4e fans got?

I believe the problem is properly defining the spectrum a group want characters to fall in, and the features they value in selection. For example, I decided I wanted ability scores to net to +2, with nothing worse than -3 and nothing better than +3 at 1st-level. Additionally, I wanted to avoid overshadowing by having the ability scores for all characters sum to the same total. It was fairly straightforward to design a 12-card deck to draw from without replacement, drawing and summing two cards for each ability in the order drawn. I could instead have listed the complete set of arrays and have players roll for one at random for their character. Both give effective, easily generated, truly-random characters. (I suspect what you mean by truly-random isn't to do with random, but to do with yielding both arrays the group enjoys playing, and arrays they don't. That's a choice about the spectrum arrays will fall in, not really the generation methods.)
When others (this isn't my view, I VASTLY prefer point-buy) tell me what they want, many of them make it very explicit that they want true, genuine, uncurated randomness. They want a distribution which favors neither good nor bad, and which they have no way to know in advance whether it will produce excellent, mediocre, poor, or uneven results. That they must be able to be genuinely surprised by these results, and cannot, even in principle, meaningfully predict how things will end up, even with partial data. That is a pretty reasonable gloss of "true randomness," e.g., the values generated must be wholly independent from one another, each randomly generated without bias, and drawn from identical populations of possibilities. IOW, no "if you have X bad stat, you automatically get (N-X) as a good stat," and no "drawing cards without replacement," as in your example, since that means you can with high accuracy predict future values solely on the basis of the first few current values. Such fans expressly want it to be the case that the game itself is designed to support BOTH "I rolled 9, 7, 5, 8, 9, 8" AND "I rolled 18, 15, 12, 14, 17, 14," at the same time and table, no wrinkles, no hard feelings, no wildly divergent experiences. And that may be an impossible request, particularly given that many other players (such as myself) want a well-balanced experience where everyone gets an equal opportunity to excel and big numbers correspond to sizable benefits (such that one must generally focus and think about how best to use the benefits one has, rather than simply being more or less equally effective at all tasks.)

If one defines the problem as - can I have characters, some of which have far lower modifiers than we want to play and some of which will be mechanically ideal - then any 'solution' is going to produce that. If one instead defines the problem as - can I have characters falling fairly across the power spectrum that we want to use - then good random solutions are available.
Okay. How do we then square the fact that there are (quite a few, apparently) people who want the spread to be "I literally have no idea whether the result will suck or be amazing but overall it will average low to weak benefits" with the fact that there are people who don't want it to vary at all because such variance is unfair? That is, there seem to be dramatic disagreements about whether there should be allowance for variation at all, or whether variation should be hard-required and dramatic.

The problem is having a clear enough definition for what = good in this context.
Unless we have a literal actual split in the fanbase as to whether characters should even BE expected to be "good" at character creation. Which, well, people tell me is the case. People claim to want to not know for sure whether their character will be good at anything at all.

Again, I don't believe it is the 'randomness' that is the heart of the problem you describe. The PHB methods have two shortfalls. Foremost the PHB doesn't tell groups why they should choose one method over another. It should start with motives, not methods. Second it offers only a very limited set of methods, when the 'tech' is available to offer more.
I can only go by what people explicitly say, and people have told me many, many times that methods like yours are insufficiently random--that they just look/feel like (effectively) drawing an array out of a hat, not truly making a character that is unexpected. The high, even extreme emphasis is not just simplicity, though simplicity is in there, but rather that being fed an expected character, even one that is not absolutely foreknown, ruins the experience. I believe the phrase used in a thread either this year or last year was that such characters are "born lucky" in such players' eyes, and playing someone "born lucky" just feels like a foregone conclusion of success.

Whereas to again to compare to me, someone who deeply values balance and equal opportunity, I consider essentially all forms of rolled stats to be "ability roulette" and rather hate them a lot, ESPECIALLY when they theoretically produce better average stats. I feel I am going to he punished no matter what, either I accept "weak" PB stats or I accept that my awful luck will give me technically, theoretically viable but crappy results, worse than if I'd just settled for PB. Or, if you prefer, rolling stats at all makes me feel "born unlucky." And even if I get great stats (which does, rarely, happen) I'll feel terribly guilty if even one person has demonstrably worse stats than I do.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Unless we have a literal actual split in the fanbase as to whether characters should even BE expected to be "good" at character creation. Which, well, people tell me is the case. People claim to want to not know for sure whether their character will be good at anything at all.
I suspect it's more that some - and I'll count myself as one - prefer that the "character build" side of the game that took off with 3e and hasn't gone away since, largely go away or at least be minimized in its importance.

Randomizing does this. It's not always the best solution - I'd far rather use 4d6k3 rearranged than 3d6 in order, for example - but it's a start. A nice side effect is that if the character build aspect is downplayed, char-gen becomes much faster and smoother as there aren't so many fussy choices to make. You roll the dice and then play what they give you; you choose your class and play the features is has built in, and so on.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Monster manual, having both CR and monster level and sample flavor encounter.
The CR really is the monster's level. Everything CR1 and above are all just solos, i.e. one monster per four PCs.

But having more flavor, ecology, and sample encounters would be nice. Along with bringing back things like morale, number appearing, monster roles, etc.

The CR really is the monster's level. Everything CR1 and above are all just solos, i.e. one monster per four PCs.

But having more flavor, ecology, and sample encounters would be nice. Along with bringing back things like morale, number appearing, monster roles, etc.
some quick Monster behavior tag could help too.

Remove ads