D&D (2024) 4e design in 5.5e ?

We use those characters as mine sweepers. It's best not to get too attached. But, to be fair, we roll 4d6, drop the lowest.
I had a special player in 3.0, who rolled 4d6 drop lowest and it took him 6 or 7 rolls to make a legal character (sum of bonuses > 0 and at least one 14 or higher).
He came up with 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14...

Stalker0

Legend
Wait.. what?

We've had retooled Ghosts of Saltmarsh, Ravenloft (twice), Dungeon of the Mad Mage, Tales of the Yawning Portal, Eberron. We're getting two revamped older settings next year, I believe. How in the world do you think that they aren't catering to old fans at all?

Good grief, how much more catering do you think they can do?
They also rereleased all of 1e for free

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My understanding of what 4e mostly comes from videos like this that...do not make it sound very appealing. But even in 3.5 or 5e, there can be a lot to keep track of in combat that really slows things down.

The above is pertinent to the discussion because he is bringing 4e elements into 5e.

MC is currently/recently also running actually 4e with videos online he is rather enthusiastic and his players are charismatic too. And while he is rusty at it, still very interesting.

HammerMan

Legend
Depends on how you measure success. For a typical RPG, it was extremely successful. For D&D, not so much. For Hasbro's benchmarks, definitely not.
it out sold 3e. 3e out sold 2e, as such the only edition that outsould 4e was 5e... going by this information I assume 6e will outsell 2,3,4,&5e... that will not make 5e less of a success. it doesn't make 4e less of a success. It doesn't make ANY edition less.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Whereas for me, they work much better. They're a significant rest, worthy of actually regaining hit points and other short rest powers, while 5 minutes is hardly anything after life and death exertion. That was always a disconnect for me with the 5 minute/encounter rest of 4e.
But it is realistic. It only takes a few minutes to catch your breath and be ready to go again. Like I’ve been in a fight where a guy was trying to stab me, and literally a couple minutes and some water, and I was ready to party.

My young adulthood was weird, don’t ask.

I also know that the adrenaline and tunnel vision and exertion in intense recreation heavy combat is the same as a real life or death fight, both from experience and from the word of combat vets in the SCA, and I can tell ya that most people only need several minutes at most, to be ready to go again.

doctorbadwolf

it out sold 3e. 3e out sold 2e, as such the only edition that outsould 4e was 5e... going by this information I assume 6e will outsell 2,3,4,&5e... that will not make 5e less of a success. it doesn't make 4e less of a success. It doesn't make ANY edition less.
Yep. A profitable product that splits the fan base indicates that a new product that doesn’t split the fan base with be much more profitable. That’s it. That’s the whole story.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Yep. A profitable product that splits the fan base indicates that a new product that doesn’t split the fan base with be much more profitable. That’s it. That’s the whole story.

Hum, a better product will also be in general much more profitable than a lesser one. And a product that appeals to a much wider audience will be much more successful that one restricted to a limited audience.

If you listen only to forums, honestly, you could get the impression than 5e splits the fanbase, but it really depends which fan base you are speaking of, the previous one or the current one ?

doctorbadwolf

Hum, a better product will also be in general much more profitable than a lesser one. And a product that appeals to a much wider audience will be much more successful that one restricted to a limited audience.
Sure?
If you listen only to forums, honestly, you could get the impression than 5e splits the fanbase, but it really depends which fan base you are speaking of, the previous one or the current one ?
I’m not really sure where you’re goin here.

The above is pertinent to the discussion because he is bringing 4e elements into 5e.

MC is currently/recently also running actually 4e with videos online he is rather enthusiastic and his players are charismatic too. And while he is rusty at it, still very interesting.
I tried watching the latest video of the 4e game. Caveat is that I find a lot of actual plays to be boring, and so I didn't watch the whole thing and skipped around it a bit. Pros would be is that gameplay still 'felt' basically like dnd? Overall it still feels too much like a video of Colvile playing around with software, especially as he uses the grid for social encounters as well it seems. And the players don't have their cameras on, so really the main thing to focus on is the fantasy grounds software, which is not compelling to me.

Remove ads