D&D (2024) 4e design in 5.5e ?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I suspect it's more that some - and I'll count myself as one - prefer that the "character build" side of the game that took off with 3e and hasn't gone away since, largely go away or at least be minimized in its importance.
I do not think that is as common as you would have it.

The gamblers urge seems to be the core of most who I have heard argue for it. They want the thrill from a chance to "fail" going out the gate because it pays for the chance to massively "win" gaining significantly more power purely by a one time act that is nothing even vaguely like skill.

You can call the opposite for the 3x power build fan seems to want to show off his optimizing chops and is fine with removing the fun of the game play when he does. (4e has very few routes to that but still has a complex character creation you do not like)

And you are right with the potency of 5e feats and the imbalance of them and the complexity and dangers of 5e multiclassing the character creation game has definitely not gone away.

Arguably in spite of 4e character creation having more choice points in I would say they are all less prone to oops.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I don't think that WotC has been catering to old fans at all: not since the D&D Next Playtest when they were courting the Pathfinder and OSR crowds. Since then though? It seems mostly oriented towards the Critical Role crowd and the newcomers.
Wait.. what?

We've had retooled Ghosts of Saltmarsh, Ravenloft (twice), Dungeon of the Mad Mage, Tales of the Yawning Portal, Eberron. We're getting two revamped older settings next year, I believe. How in the world do you think that they aren't catering to old fans at all?

Good grief, how much more catering do you think they can do?

Hussar

Legend
My money spends just as well as some new fan. WotC clearly recognizes that otherwise they wouldn’t be catering to us olds as they have been. The long haul fans will still be here when this recent wave of fad players have left. If WotC caters only to the fad, then the game/edition will die when they leave. And WotC will have to go back to catering to long haul fans and revise/make a new edition. Easier to just not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Just to point something out here though, the "new wave of fad players" have now been playing for nearly a decade, some of them. By the time the revamped core books come out, 5e will be more than ten years old. These "fad players" aren't fad players at all. They are the fanbase. Those of us who started before 5e are outnumbered about ten or fifteen to one now. And, since the playerbase continues to grow year on year, there's very little chance that that's going to change.

To put it another way, someone who started with 5e is no more a "fad" player than any of us. By the time most of us had played ten years, we'd been through two, possibly three editions of the game. I know I had. In my first ten years of gaming, I played B/E, 1e and 2e. Someone who started in 2015 will have only played one edition. This is totally unprecedented.

Hussar

Legend
I suspect it's more that some - and I'll count myself as one - prefer that the "character build" side of the game that took off with 3e and hasn't gone away since, largely go away or at least be minimized in its importance.

Randomizing does this. It's not always the best solution - I'd far rather use 4d6k3 rearranged than 3d6 in order, for example - but it's a start. A nice side effect is that if the character build aspect is downplayed, char-gen becomes much faster and smoother as there aren't so many fussy choices to make. You roll the dice and then play what they give you; you choose your class and play the features is has built in, and so on.
I agree that this is a benefit.

But, to me, the downside is just too large. When the baseline is die rolled, that means everyone's character is SO much higher than the baseline assumptions of the game. Virtually no one (yes, yes, you in the back, sit down, I don't mean EVERY SINGLE PERSON, just most of them), ever plays a character who's die rolled stats are lower than the baseline. At worst, they are equal, and, nearly every time, they will be better.

So, if the characters are simply going to be better than the baseline, why are we bothering to randomize at all? Just go with a higher point buy and be done with it.

To me, the costs just far outweigh any potential benefits.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Virtually no one (yes, yes, you in the back, sit down, I don't mean EVERY SINGLE PERSON, just most of them), ever plays a character who's die rolled stats are lower than the baseline.
The classic I do that then play them so dangerously I am just rolling another one real soon it was truly pointless.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Just to point something out here though, the "new wave of fad players" have now been playing for nearly a decade, some of them.
Some, sure. But not all. And not all of them will stick around. That's what I'm talking about. The people who stick around aren't the "fad fans". They're fans. Just like the rest of us. The ones I'm referring to are the ones who will tire of the hobby and leave when it's not in the middle of the big pop culture moment it's having right now. They're fans of the fad, not the game. I'm guessing, just like the last big mainstream pop culture surge of interest in D&D, that the majority will simply stop playing. They're the ones I'm talking about.
By the time the revamped core books come out, 5e will be more than ten years old. These "fad players" aren't fad players at all. They are the fanbase.
For a time, sure. And again, I'm not saying they'll all split. But assuming they'll all stay is a mistake. Just like assuming they'll all leave is a mistake. We don't know how many will stick around. So designing the game to their preferences seems like a complete mistake.
Those of us who started before 5e are outnumbered about ten or fifteen to one now. And, since the playerbase continues to grow year on year, there's very little chance that that's going to change.
Until the bubble bursts and the fad fans scatter to the wind.
To put it another way, someone who started with 5e is no more a "fad" player than any of us.
Again, that's not what I'm saying.
By the time most of us had played ten years, we'd been through two, possibly three editions of the game. I know I had. In my first ten years of gaming, I played B/E, 1e and 2e.
Not really unprecedented at all. Some people started with one edition and just kept on playing it. Simply because a new edition is published doesn't mean that the old books spontaneously combust and the fan base is legally required to buy and play the new game. So the publication of new editions is basically irrelevant. I started with B/X in 84 because that's all my older brother would let me touch, me being 8 years younger and all. The old "it's Basic so it's kids' stuff...we're teenagers and we played Advanced D&D". But we soon were all playing AD&D...and we kept on playing AD&D until 2009ish. We skipped three-ish editions of the game. Mine is not a unique experience.
Someone who started in 2015 will have only played one edition.
Only if they stuck with 5E. There's no reason to make that assumption.
This is totally unprecedented.
LOL. Not really. AD&D lasted 12 years. AD&D2E lasted 11 years. Depending on when you start counting, either with B/X or BECMI, That version of Basic lasted either 17 or 19 years. Then there's players who didn't instantly adopt the newest edition, like us. We played AD&D for 25 years...despite newer editions.

clearstream

(He, Him)
When others (this isn't my view, I VASTLY prefer point-buy) tell me what they want, many of them make it very explicit that they want true, genuine, uncurated randomness. They want a distribution which favors neither good nor bad, and which they have no way to know in advance whether it will produce excellent, mediocre, poor, or uneven results. That they must be able to be genuinely surprised by these results, and cannot, even in principle, meaningfully predict how things will end up, even with partial data.
You've somewhat misunderstood my post. I am arguing for PHB to present a number of methods, with the motives a group might have for using each method explained either there - in the PHB - or in the DMG.

That is a pretty reasonable gloss of "true randomness," e.g., the values generated must be wholly independent from one another, each randomly generated without bias, and drawn from identical populations of possibilities.
If that is an accurate gloss, then "true randomness" is just as correctly applied to the methods I've discussed, as to 3d6 down the line. Randomly select an array would be even more accurately true random, by that definition, because the distribution is linear. However, I don't think what you are labeling "true randomness" is primarily about the randomness.

IOW, no "if you have X bad stat, you automatically get (N-X) as a good stat," and no "drawing cards without replacement," as in your example, since that means you can with high accuracy predict future values solely on the basis of the first few current values. Such fans expressly want it to be the case that the game itself is designed to support BOTH "I rolled 9, 7, 5, 8, 9, 8" AND "I rolled 18, 15, 12, 14, 17, 14," at the same time and table, no wrinkles, no hard feelings, no wildly divergent experiences. And that may be an impossible request, particularly given that many other players (such as myself) want a well-balanced experience where everyone gets an equal opportunity to excel and big numbers correspond to sizable benefits (such that one must generally focus and think about how best to use the benefits one has, rather than simply being more or less equally effective at all tasks.)
A group might like to allow low and high ranges. I'm mindful of @Xetheral's example, where the DM thought they wanted to do that, but when it came down to it, didn't want characters with nothing better than 10. I have never met a player who genuinely wanted to be overshadowed. I have met many who wanted to be surprised. It is easily possible to have the latter without the former. We can consider features such as -
  • volatility or swinginess (distribution, e.g. does the method produce spiky arrays?)
  • overshadowing (range from highest array to lowest array)
  • control versus surprise (decks resist analysis quite well until you're down to the last few cards*, but not as well as independent rolls, standard array is an open book, assign in order is more surprising than allocate as desired)
  • relationship with system baselines (i.e. the impact the expected modifiers will have during play)
Deck-generated characters can be volatile and surprising, while avoiding overshadowing. What you have described seems to include overshadowing as a necessary quality of surprise: I don't think it is.

Okay. How do we then square the fact that there are (quite a few, apparently) people who want the spread to be "I literally have no idea whether the result will suck or be amazing but overall it will average low to weak benefits" with the fact that there are people who don't want it to vary at all because such variance is unfair? That is, there seem to be dramatic disagreements about whether there should be allowance for variation at all, or whether variation should be hard-required and dramatic.
Why not continue to offer more than one method? In the current PHB, the standard array is 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 (76pts), the probable array for 4d6k3 is 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 9 (74pts) , a middle-ground point buy array might be 14, 13, 13, 12, 12, 10 (74pts). I believe adding a deck-generation method, and slightly down-tuning the other three methods, would give four extremely solid methods that would serve almost any group. But why use one over another? Groups would benefit from better explanations.

Unless we have a literal actual split in the fanbase as to whether characters should even BE expected to be "good" at character creation. Which, well, people tell me is the case. People claim to want to not know for sure whether their character will be good at anything at all.
I've never heard that, but mileages vary. What I most frequently hear from players is a desire to have flaws as well as strengths. I'd say they have been about split on control. Perhaps two thirds in my experience would be happiest if they can allocate at least three of their scores as desired. Less than a third prefer to let the scores fall where they may. That said, almost all have been happy to go with DM preference.

I can only go by what people explicitly say, and people have told me many, many times that methods like yours are insufficiently random--that they just look/feel like (effectively) drawing an array out of a hat, not truly making a character that is unexpected. The high, even extreme emphasis is not just simplicity, though simplicity is in there, but rather that being fed an expected character, even one that is not absolutely foreknown, ruins the experience. I believe the phrase used in a thread either this year or last year was that such characters are "born lucky" in such players' eyes, and playing someone "born lucky" just feels like a foregone conclusion of success.
Our experiences diverge, in that regard. However, I am not advocating for all groups to use the same method. What I'm advocating is the addition of a method, and proper explanation in the books of the motives for choosing each. Generally, the argument is over the distributions rather than the ranges. Meaning that the methods can be tuned to distribute in different ways within the same range.

Whereas to again to compare to me, someone who deeply values balance and equal opportunity, I consider essentially all forms of rolled stats to be "ability roulette" and rather hate them a lot, ESPECIALLY when they theoretically produce better average stats. I feel I am going to he punished no matter what, either I accept "weak" PB stats or I accept that my awful luck will give me technically, theoretically viable but crappy results, worse than if I'd just settled for PB. Or, if you prefer, rolling stats at all makes me feel "born unlucky." And even if I get great stats (which does, rarely, happen) I'll feel terribly guilty if even one person has demonstrably worse stats than I do.
It's worse than that, even, in that the baseline system does not tolerate well some of the extremes possible with 4d6k3. Point-buy gives strong arrays that also work well with the baseline system. I believe both methods are over-tuned by a few points, especially considering it is now the norm to give players 3pts to distribute. From an average of 10.5 we now have averages of 13!

*The array is still surprising, even if the last draw is not: one can differentiate between surprise per roll, and surprise about the array. And design for either.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Virtually no one (yes, yes, you in the back, sit down, I don't mean EVERY SINGLE PERSON, just most of them), ever plays a character who's die rolled stats are lower than the baseline. At worst, they are equal, and, nearly every time, they will be better.

So, if the characters are simply going to be better than the baseline, why are we bothering to randomize at all? Just go with a higher point buy and be done with it.
That's my experience, also. People talk about wanting to let the dice fall as they may... until they fall against them. However, I don't believe those people are at fault for not having a good handle on chance. The question you raise is an important one, and all too often is inadequately examined.

Why bother with random? @EzekielRaiden defines it as "they have no way to know in advance whether it will produce excellent, mediocre, poor, or uneven results. That they must be able to be genuinely surprised by these results..." I find that an interesting definition. Foremost, I don't think it describes what most players at heart genuinely want - once you observe them over a decent number of outcomes. I do think it captures some of the language players sometimes use to get at what they want.

Take genuine surprise. I think for @EzekielRaiden it means surprised not just at the array, but each score. However, I don't think he was arguing that surprise is lessened for all those players he was thinking of, if they then allocate as desired. As it would obviously be even more surprising if, as a warlock, charisma was their lowest score. Wrong kind of surprise, clearly. Once we are talking about right and wrong kinds of surprise, we know something else is going on.

Knowing in advance is also interesting. I've often heard players desire to not know in advance where their strengths will be, or how even their distribution will be, but very rarely do players like a poor-across-the-board result. I think the features they look for are really centered on contrast. Sometimes they'll get some exciting scores, and occasionally they'll have a painful flaw. No one wants 3's across the board, but they might not mind having a 3 on one score if in pay-off they have a chance at an 18.

Because different players want different things, I believe a good solution is offer say four methods, producing arrays with different distributions and mildly diverging total values, while falling within the same spectrum. The standard array should be just a default points-buy, rather than a boosted points buy. Points buy should be tuned down a couple of points. 4d6k3 likewise. Add a deck-generation method. And give players a means for each method to choose between allocate as desired and allocate as they fall.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
So, if I'm understanding correctly @clearstream, your proposed method uses cards without replacement. Meaning, if you drew a bad set of cards for the first two stats, you are guaranteed to get better stats for the later parts. This is what I refer to when I say that it's not "true random"--it forces certain results because other results have happened.

There was a very long, drawn-out thread some months ago where I engaged with some user (whose name escapes me now) that wouldn't accept this. Anything, anything whatsoever, that causes good stats in order to compensate for bad ones is unacceptable to them (and several others besides), because it makes them feel like every character is "born lucky" and thus uninteresting. It doesn't matter that all the various possible draws are equally likely at the outset; the fact that the first five draws (for example) automatically determine what the sixth draw will be is too much certainty, and the fact that (say) if you get good stats in the first three draws, you will get mediocre or bad, is way, WAY too much information. Hence why I phrased it as I did; if your first two draws give you any information whatsoever about what the later draws are likely to be, then the process is insufficiently random.

These players did, at least, have the consistency to also demand no reassignment of stats, as you noted. They want stats rolled in order, and what you got was what you got. If you ended up with only Wisdom as a semi-okay stat, maybe you played a Cleric. If you got nothing good at all, you played a thief (IIRC? I can't remember which class could get away with bad stats). Etc.

And, as noted by others above (frex, @Lanefan ), in some ways these requests are very specifically to remove parts of the design space. E.g. the goal of removing or at least reducing the whole idea of "builds," or to "make" players stop "playing their character sheet" or whatever. They don't want one method for them and another method for other people; they want one method for everyone, that will eliminate or curtail the parts of the game they find undesirable. And I will absolutely cop to the same thing: I genuinely think PB is superior because I genuinely believe everyone should get a fair shot at participation, and being shortchanged or supercharged at character generation inherently prevents that possibility.

clearstream

(He, Him)
So, if I'm understanding correctly @clearstream, your proposed method uses cards without replacement. Meaning, if you drew a bad set of cards for the first two stats, you are guaranteed to get better stats for the later parts. This is what I refer to when I say that it's not "true random"--it forces certain results because other results have happened.
It's probably just that the term is a bit misleading. In terms of probabilities, I think you mean that each score is independent. It's like flipping two coins. The result of the first coin doesn't tell us anything about the result of the second. With a deck, the same outcome can occur like this:
  1. Say we use an 18-card deck with values 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2
  2. We are going to determine each score by drawing three cards at random, no replacement, so that scores will range from 6-15 and average 10.5.
  3. We will draw cards without looking at them to make six face-down piles of three cards
  4. If we want to allocate as drawn, we'll make the leftmost pile strength and the rightmost pile charisma; or we will assign later
  5. We turn up all piles simultaneously
In this case, we have no information on any score in advance: they are all equally a surprise. Do you see what I am saying. I believe what you are chasing is at heart something more specific. It's not to do with the randomness, or per score surprise. Most likely you want the sum of scores to vary. How much by?

Is it okay to have one player have scores summing to 18 while another's sum to 108? Or is that too much variance? I suspect you'd be tempted here to say - that won't happen - but then, like @Xetheral's DM, what happens if it does happen? I had one campaign where our bear-barian just had far better stats than everyone else. They overshadowed everyone: adding nothing to the campaign. In my experience, players enjoy variance, but much less variance than the dice allow.

And, as noted by others above (frex, @Lanefan ), in some ways these requests are very specifically to remove parts of the design space. E.g. the goal of removing or at least reducing the whole idea of "builds," or to "make" players stop "playing their character sheet" or whatever. They don't want one method for them and another method for other people; they want one method for everyone, that will eliminate or curtail the parts of the game they find undesirable. And I will absolutely cop to the same thing: I genuinely think PB is superior because I genuinely believe everyone should get a fair shot at participation, and being shortchanged or supercharged at character generation inherently prevents that possibility.
There are always niches of players a design cannot serve. The goal is to satisfy as well as possible your chosen main audience. Points-buy won't serve those players (it has zero surprise). I believe deck-generations offer the most scope for future-design. For example, we could use fewer than all the cards. Taking the deck above, we could add one 6 and one 1. Players still draw only 18 cards, no replacement. There will be surprise, because until the last card drawn they do not know what cards will be left in the deck.

6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 ,1 draw 18 cards without replacement, allocating three to each score. Either allocating as drawn, or as desired. Two cards will be left in the deck.

Remove ads