D&D 4E 4E FRCS Cover: NOOOOOOOOOO!

jester47

First Post
Rechan said:
Speak for yourself, bucko. Drizzt grates on my nerves. He's just so "goodie goodie", and those little monologues in the front of every section, I couldn't stomach them.
Those are best parts of the books. I would love if there was a whole Drizzt novel written in first person. But hey look were different!

KingCrab

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
What *really* bothers me about that cover isn't Drizzt (heck, it even could be Elminster), but the fact that FR doesn't have a) it's own design any more, but only its 4E cover design and b) Where's my FR logo? Seemingly, FR doesn't have its own logo any more.

And this will probably apply to Eberron as well. A bit sad, I liked the different cover designs very much, as you could instantly see to which setting a book belongs and conveyed a bit of the feeling of the setting.

Cheers, LT.

This is kind of sad for me. I really liked the look of the FR books in 3.x. Perhaps they seemed more 'serious and adult' to customers and kept new people away from the realms?

KingCrab

First Post
jester47 said:
Those are best parts of the books. I would love if there was a whole Drizzt novel written in first person. But hey look were different!

Nope. Those monologues are horrible (Odd, I finally agree with Rechan on something.) Though it didn't take me long to realize that if I skipped past those parts it made the books more readable.

jester47

First Post
Dragon Snack said:
In fact, I believe the origional cover for the 3.0 FRCS had the Elmunchkin himself on it, so there is a precedent for change...

This is incorrect. The 3.0 FRCS was in the faux Tome format. No Pics on the Front. Elminster did make the cover of Magic of Faerun though.

KingCrab

First Post
Stormtalon said:
....Elminster. There. We'd have both of 'em on the cover AND everyone would be happy, yes?

:p

Oh, so happy. That would be so great I'd be left unable to complain about any other changes to 4eFR.

jester47

First Post
KingCrab said:
Nope. Those monologues are horrible (Odd, I finally agree with Rechan on something.) Though it didn't take me long to realize that if I skipped past those parts it made the books more readable.

I like first person storytelling better than I do third. Allows for unreliable narrator. See Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolf. Loved the narration. Wish we would see more of this in gaming lit.

Rugger

Explorer
This is the FIRST glimpse of the supposed cover.

I'll bet my liver that it's just a mock-up/internal-design...same thing with the trade dress. WotC has always done this, and I'll guess this is no exception.

...and FR is what YOU make of it. Not the covers. Not the novels.

-Matt

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Irda Ranger said:
Somehow the word "NO!!!!!" simply doesn't capture the intensity of my disagreement with this opinion. :)

As others have already alluded to - it's all in the pose. :D

Seriously, though, I think it would have been cooler to have them both on the cover, but not featured prominently. Wouldn't it be cool to have Driz'zt saluting Elminster as he went off into the proverbial sunset (or through a gate to "beyond the rim" so to speak)?

Remove ads