D&D 4E 4E FRCS Cover: NOOOOOOOOOO!

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Dracorat said:
The character record sheet looks too much 1E / quasi-2E. The PHB art is appropriate IMO.
It does look a little bit more old-timey, and normally that's a turnoff for me. But it's also got a nice party blend set on warm, vibrant colors... whereas the PHB has two ugly folks in goofy outfits set in a cold, uninteresting environment. I've only been playing the game for 2 years now -- I'm not anti-new stuff. The PHB's just got an ugly cover, plain and simple.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
i'll note that Drizzt is in no way munchkiny... He's just a local hero, simply so.

Kind of sad to have a whole option removed from D&D because of a few morons...

No Name

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
What *really* bothers me about that cover isn't Drizzt (heck, it even could be Elminster), but the fact that FR doesn't have a) it's own design any more, but only its 4E cover design and b) Where's my FR logo? Seemingly, FR doesn't have its own logo any more.

And this will probably apply to Eberron as well. A bit sad, I liked the different cover designs very much, as you could instantly see to which setting a book belongs and conveyed a bit of the feeling of the setting.

My guess is marketing. Speaking for myself (someone who has zero interest in Eberron), when looking at the new books of the month, I'd automatically skip anything that was of the ECS. I suppose they think that if I see it as D&D instead of Eberron now, the odds of me purchasing it will increase.

Vael

Legend
Re: Drizzt vs. Elminster on the cover

I got to give it to Drizzt, he's got a more iconic image. I know of Elminster, but I couldn't picture him. Besides, that's a pretty nice picture of him. I may not be a fan of Drizzt, but it's a nice cover.

That said, I do kinda regret that all the D&D books are going for a uniform style, I kinda like that just looking at the spine of a book will tell me if it's a core supplement, FR book or Eberron book without even reading the title.

Traycor

Explorer
I'm not sure what everyone is freaking out about. This cover is a piece of art that is several years old. Obviously it isn't going to be the new FR cover. That art was used for the Drizzt mini waaay back.

Here, I'm going to post the mini art, the new art, and then I overlayed the two of them. They are obviously the same picture.

p4e_frcs.jpg

mi_afer_sm.jpg

Overlay.jpg

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Traycor said:
I'm not sure what everyone is freaking out about. This cover is a piece of art that is several years old. Obviously it isn't going to be the new FR cover. That art was used for the Drizzt mini waaay back.

Good catch!

Gundark

Explorer
As has been stated I was dissapointed to see that there was not a FR style title. Other than that the Drizzt thing doesn't bother me...as has been pointed out it could have been Eliminster :) .

The arts good though.

EDIT: As has been pointed out this is old art, so we may still as of yet get a FR style title. It could be that what we are seeing is a mock up of the cover.

Last edited:

Dragon Snack

First Post
They've reused pictures before. Not on covers, but it wouldn't be the first time art was recycled...

jester47 said:
This is incorrect. The 3.0 FRCS was in the faux Tome format. No Pics on the Front. Elminster did make the cover of Magic of Faerun though.
You may be right, google let me down in finding the original cover of either one.

But either way, El didn't make the final cover...

Ulrick said:
$39.95!!! NOOOOOOO!
Please tell me you're being sarcastic. The MSRP of the current FRCS is US$39.95...

The Cardinal said:
Dealbreaker :(
Wow, and I really wanted to buy this - well, more cash for other books...
They make these things called "book covers", so you really don't need to look at him very long if you H8 the Drizzle...

I won't be buying it either, but let's not get crazy. I wonder if some 3rd party publisher could make generic "Grand Realms" covers to go over Mr Goth Angst (if you do, remember the Snack-meister).

Remove ads