• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Necromancer!

This from rpg.net:

joela said:
Per Necromancer Games:

Second, Peterson finally reveals plans to bring First Edition Feel to 4E: "In addition to our support for Pathfinder, we believe in supporting the most current official version of D&D--and that is 4E. We plan to create a community-sponsored, grass-roots development of some old-school rules alternatives for 4E, not to replace 4E but to supplement it. To let old school gamers like me play the game we want but with the modern rules and the modern tech," Peterson says. "Keep an eye on our site and boards in the coming months as we start this process. A design team is in place. But we intend to enlist the help of all of you--the real old school players--to help design the rules that you think are lacking, much like Paizo used an open playtest to develop the Pathfinder rules."

Full post can be found here. Discussions can be found here. And responses from 4e fans over at Paizo can be found here. (Hint: So far, thumbs down.)

Jack99

Adventurer
It sounds like an interesting idea. I will definitely be following the development closely. It is going to be an enormous project though.

Desert Hare

Banned
Banned
I think I could get behind this.

But how is it that they will be able to support Pathfinder & 4E? I thought the deal was is that if a publisher moves forward with support for 4E they can no longer produce material compatible with the OGL?

Filcher

First Post
Very cool to see progress on this at last. This is the 4E I've been looking for.

But poor Clark. Paizo posters ripped him a new one over the magic missile.

JackSmithIV

First Post
We plan to create a community-sponsored, grass-roots development of some old-school rules alternatives for 4E, not to replace 4E but to supplement it.

I can't help but be a little worried. This could go one of two ways.

The first is that this could be one of those let's-fix-something-that's-not-broken attempts in order. One of those "Wizards is just making you drink the cool-aid... we know how to do it right!" mentalities that the Pathfinder system reeked of before it didn't fix 3.5.

The second could be a legitimately interesting way of introducing classic flavor to an excellent system. I'm not sure how it could be done, but they're able to craft effective rules alternatives, I'm all in. I definitely hope that this is what they have in mind, and am glad they are coming aboard.

Halivar

First Post
But how is it that they will be able to support Pathfinder & 4E? I thought the deal was is that if a publisher moves forward with support for 4E they can no longer produce material compatible with the OGL?
That clause is per product line, not company basis.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think I could get behind this.

Because Clark's seen the new GSL, and we haven't.

Scott Rouse mentioned just the other day that Clark had seen it; and now Clark announces this.

Orcus

First Post
Because Clark's seen the new GSL, and we haven't.

Scott Rouse mentioned just the other day that Clark had seen it; and now Clark announces this.

Hold on, now! :)

I've seen a draft of the revised GSL in the past--or at least a hit list of issues that were potential mods to it. I certainly am not privy to WotC internal documents, for goodness sake. And I have talked with Scott about many of the relevant issues.

Bottom line is that I have opened forums on our site to discuss and design exactly what I posted--some 4E alternate content. I am confident that at some point in the future, in plenty of time to do what I want to do, we will have a revised GSL. I trust Scott. He delivers on things he says. Does he have ultimate control? No. But the man delivers. Trust me. And in any event I see this as something that might be doable under the current GSL (though I dont like that idea).

This is NOT a case of "Clark saw the new GSL so he did this!"

That said, I sometimes know more than the average bear ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads