• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E OGL Material?

catsclaw

First Post
Orcus said:
As a lawyer, let me say that if you are considering this go get yourself some serious legitimate legal advice. DO NOT rely on lay internet interpretations. Dont even rely on what I say. Go hire a lawyer.
Oh, yeah. Absolutely. Copyright law is, simply put, a mess, and the way you determine if a particular use is "fair use" is by getting sued, going to court, and letting the judge tell you.

If you decided to go this route, you need to be sure you have a probability you'd win in court you're comfortable with. You also need to either be rich (and thus able to afford a more-than-likely court battle), or poor (and thus not be risking anything with a more-than-likely court battle). And you'd want to have legal representation lined up and ready to respond.

I think it's self evident that the industry--players, publishers, and WotC itself--would be much better off if WotC provided a reasonable GSL. Wizards gets people operating under a license, so both parties are protected under a much clearer agreement. Publishers get to publish. And players benefit from more products to choose from.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads