• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E or 3.5 or something else - what's in your future?

How are you planning on playing D&D after 4E is out?

• I'm going 4E all the way!

Votes: 61 20.9%
  • I'm going to play 3.x and 4E

Votes: 36 12.3%
  • I'm staying with 3.x, and may or may not use some 4E rules as house rules

Votes: 124 42.5%
  • Other (which I explain below in superior fashion)

Votes: 71 24.3%

Delta

First Post
I'm actually really confused by the poll results so far. (Confused that they largely agree with what I'm doing myself.) Are all the 4E fans avoiding this forum now?

smootrk

First Post
Delta said:
I'm actually really confused by the poll results so far. (Confused that they largely agree with what I'm doing myself.) Are all the 4E fans avoiding this forum now?
The 4e folks have their own (sub)forum where they can berate folks who speak heresies such as not moving forward to the new edition.... and yes it seems they don't bother with this forum any longer.

Gallo22

First Post
DItheringFool said:
3.5 with some Book of Experimental Might!

Ditto on the above.

My group (seven total, plus a few "fringe" players) are sticking with our 3.25 rules (a mix of 3.0 and 3.5) and are going to incorporate stuff from the Book of Experimental Might. (That was the best $9.00 I've spent in a long time, I might add.)

Basically..., we like our 3.X and have not seen any reason to switch for too many reason that have already been beaten to death through the fourms. We also play Cthulhu and Savage Worlds here and there. I run an occasional Classic Gamma World and Star Frontiers game, and have all the Tribe 8 rpg books from Dream Pod Nine that I have been dying to run. (A truly underestimated game btw!!!)

Oh, I almost forgot, our weekily group is going to start an Eberron campaign as well. We have never played Eberron, so... with all the books and adventures (as well as the RPGA adventures) available, we have plenty to keep us entertained for some time.

Last edited:

Ace

Adventurer
I am going to read 4.0 and if I really like it switch. I like 3x but I never could get the games I was in to go right.

If I don't like it (and the few small bits I've seen lead me that way) I am going to stay with True 20

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
smootrk said:
The 4e folks have their own (sub)forum where they can berate folks who speak heresies such as not moving forward to the new edition.... and yes it seems they don't bother with this forum any longer.
Let's try that again without the sweeping generalizations and bitter hostility, huh?

For me, it's a mixture. I'll bring my current campaign to a close around the 16 year mark. Then I'll start a new game in 4e. I won't house rule anything for at least three months, playing it and seeing what I like or don't like.

I have a secondary mini-campaign for a handful of friends that is likely to switch over to 4e, but I'm not entirely sure; the PCs are a half-orc barbarian, a gnome druid and a changeling scout. We'll likely keep it 3.5e until I see what I think about the 4e rules.

Meanwhile, we'll continue to play Sagiro's 3.5 campaign. That's at about 12 years and counting, but isn't as close to being complete as mine is, so he's sticking with the 3.5 rules.

krissbeth

First Post
I'm a player, not a GM. But I sincerely hope that my current campaigns will remain 3.x. Especially since I'm a bard in one and a skill-point-loving rogue in the other. :p

joela

First Post
3.5e AND 4e

I voted playing both. I'm currently in 4 3.5e campaigns. I'll look into dropping at least one and pick up a 4.0e campaign. That, or DM it myself.

pogre

Legend
I voted other. I have a current 3.5 campaign that could be tough to port over to the new rules. I plan on running 4e for a short campaign at some point to see if my group likes it. I am also running a short WFRP campaign this summer. I would also like to run some 40Krpg. I need to see how 4e works in a campaign before I commit completely. It has got to be good, because there are a lot of viable alternatives out there.

WereSteve

First Post
Post 4E

Other ... I never moved foward when 3rd edition was introduced, and I have never really cared for the look and feel of 3rd edition. Besides, at the rate I've been filling in the empty holes in my collection of early (x)D&D material, I will have more than enough to draw upon for many years to come. Also, it's just to expensive to try and keep up with all the new stuff coming out.

Remove ads