D&D 4E 4E PHB Viewing at Games Plus, what we saw

thalmin

Retired game store owner
zoroaster100 said:
Also, any more information on how the ritual for creating magic items works? Can a first level wizard create a potion of healing, and how often? What about a first level cleric?

Any information on weapon proficiencies and bonuses to hit with various weapons?
Two areas I wanted to check but didn't get enough book time. (Next time I'm not gonna announce a preview so I can get the books all to myself. Mwa ha ha hah.)

Hint to any other store that can get a preview, set a timer, say 10 minutes, then pass the books to next person in line. A couple folks just started in-depth reading and needed prodding. Want to look some more, get to the end of the line.

Lizard

Explorer
Bestopheles said:
Oh, and another interesting/weird feature....there is an easy to cast ritual that clears 1 status ailment (curse, disease, etc) each time it's cast, but with a catch. You make a heal check, and your result ='s how much dmg the TARGET sick player takes while being healed. SO, a low roll can kill outright, or can do dmg. A high roll causes very little dmg.

I like that they're tying rituals into skills like that. It's a neat mechanic. Someone trying the ritual with a poor knowledge of healing can seriously mess up.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
JVisgaitis said:
Were there any other feats like say to grant an extra attack?
I didn't spend any time on the feats other than to find TWF and searching (unsuccessfully) for Dragonborn Flight.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
How were the rituals organized? Are they by power source (ie. Clerics can cast "divine" rituals), or by class (ie. clerics cast "cleric" rituals). What were the wizard rituals like?

Were there any summoning powers in the book? A long time ago it was suggested that warlocks would have some monster-summoning powers, but wizards and clerics wouldn't.

Do classes get extra class features as they gain levels, like the ones Rogues get at 1st level in the preview, or just powers and feats?

Lizard said:
How the smeg did I not have doppelgangstas in my D20M game? Augh!

I can probably fit them into Shattered World....hmmm....
I think I've read this idea elsewhere, but Doppelgangers robbing banks are pretty awesome.
Officer: "So, you're claiming Val Klimer and Dennis Haysbert where standing guard, while Robert Deniro accompanied the bank manager to the vault? And Jason Statham was sitting in the Get-Away car?"

Kitirat

First Post
thalmin said:
Confirmed. Can take a power from any OTHER class. (can't take extra at-will from own class)

So the half-elves get:

+2 to two stats (chr and ???)
+2 to insight and diplomancy

Specials
+1 to allies diplomacy within 10ft
An at-will from another class as an encounter.

Anything else? Most races get 3-5 extra things beyond the stat boost and skill bonuses and that is only 2 for half-elves.

inkmonkeys

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I think I've read this idea elsewhere, but Doppelgangers robbing banks are pretty awesome.
Officer: "So, you're claiming Val Klimer and Dennis Haysbert where standing guard, while Robert Deniro accompanied the bank manager to the vault? And Jason Statham was sitting in the Get-Away car?"

"Whaddaya mean the Nixon gang weren't wearing masks?"

Remove ads