• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e "The Awakening" ("Virtual Sandbox") - Discussion / OOC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I vote for option #1 as it is what I was hoping on, ;) Now some brainstorming on the Scholar if you don't mind.

a) Awakened as if from a bad dream and he(it is a he right?) and he can't remember it. There is a nagging feeling he must do something (create something, build something, stop something) he's not sure what but feels it none the less. So to help in doing this he wil seek out the others.

b) Knows of something from a pervious life that is world threatening, knows where it is and what it will do but not how to stop it. Others band with him (well because saving the world is kool) for if he were to fail the world ends.

c) Devas are dying out and that is only part of it, if this "death cycle" continues all races will be extinct.

d) Wants to find/build a Library of Alexandria where all the worlds knowledge would be kept. Someone wants to stop him because we all know knowledge is power.

e) Another antagonist a deva spirit that wanted his body? How about the group acts mainly as a bodyguard for the scholar. Each character's newest goal is to help him get whatever he needs done.

All of my characters have name/class/race(I didn't take any amish halfling gypsies) and a brief personality type and brief background which will not be set in stone till I see what others are like.

So a question do you wish for us to post builds when we post characters that is something I am still trying to hammer out. I don't want typical but for a few they are looking that way. :(

HM

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
a) Awakened as if from a bad dream and he(it is a he right?) and he can't remember it. There is a nagging feeling he must do something (create something, build something, stop something) he's not sure what but feels it none the less. So to help in doing this he wil seek out the others.

-- I was thinking it'd be fun to do the 'First Scene of Lost' shot, where his eyes suddenly open and dilate, and he looks around to find himself...somewhere. My concept of the Scholar is that he's male, yes.

b) Knows of something from a pervious life that is world threatening, knows where it is and what it will do but not how to stop it. Others band with him (well because saving the world is kool) for if he were to fail the world ends.

-- It's possible, if a bit heavyhanded for a 1st level character. Heroic tier characters won't generally be saving the world...not directly at least. But then again, ya never know.

c) Devas are dying out and that is only part of it, if this "death cycle" continues all races will be extinct.

-- Technically speaking Devas -are- dying out. Really slowly. A few ascend, and leave the cycle. Others fall from grace and become rakshasa. Either way, they're not devas anymore...and since no one's making new devas, the race slowly dwindles. Then again, if there was something else causing that...say some force that interfered with Deva souls as they lingered in the spirit world between incarnations...that'd be a whole other situation.

d) Wants to find/build a Library of Alexandria where all the worlds knowledge would be kept. Someone wants to stop him because we all know knowledge is power.

-- I've always seen the Scholar as being a fan of 'applied' knowledge...or knowledge gained via experience. Despite his moniker, and his love of books and literature, he's not necessarily one for sitting and reading and researching all day. He likes to get his hands dirty.

e) Another antagonist a deva spirit that wanted his body? How about the group acts mainly as a bodyguard for the scholar. Each character's newest goal is to help him get whatever he needs done.

-- Each deva has his own body, there'd be no reason to want his. But an antagonist Deva...perhaps one who hasn't fallen to Rakshasa yet, but is still of evil disposition.

Walking Dad

First Post
Just wanted to have them posted somewhere:

Wanderer: Revenant (Dwarf) Assassin. He doesn't speak about his past, but he betraye4d his clan out of greed. The last survivor, he was cursed by Moradin (do we use standard pantheon?) to stay in this world, bringing misery and death to the ones who use others for personal gain. Maybe he will be able to forgive himself one day.

Aramis Spiritbow:
Elf Seeker. A young elf on a spiritual quest to find his twin brother. Twins are really rare among elf and it is custom that one will be send from his tribe as child to learn the way of the other races. The othe half will receive a spiritual edjucation and bring his twin back to the tribe. There their souls will be melded to give a perfect understanding between the different ways of life.

still working on the third background (dwarf invoker).

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I vote for option #1 as well.

I've got a couple of character concepts that I've had stored up for a while; if a brief (and by brief, I mean like a two sentence backstory... maybe even less for one of them) concept is all you need, then I'll volunteer to go second. If you need anything more than that then I'll abstain for now, as I won't be able to plug in the creative side of my brain until Wednesday when I'm off again.

All of my characters have name/class/race(I didn't take any amish halfling gypsies) and a brief personality type and brief background which will not be set in stone till I see what others are like.

So a question do you wish for us to post builds when we post characters that is something I am still trying to hammer out. I don't want typical but for a few they are looking that way. :(

HM

Okay Here is the situation. I need to prepare the "bamboo scene" for The Scholar. I'm gonna do that by tomorrow night. I'd like to have a second player's first character encountered very early. So I'm gonna do it like this...

Walking Dad, industrygothica, HolyMan, renau1g (1d20=2, 1d20=4, 1d20=16, 1d20=13)

HolyMan won the roll. If he is willing and able, he will be #2 and needs a name, race, and loose background and personality for one character of his choice. I will be working it in to the wakeup scene or the scene following. Once we start the scene, all posts over In the yet-to-be-created IC thread should be IC, with OOC talk in spoiler blocks: [sblock=OOC]Like This[/sblock] Everyone should put whatever comments you have about the three candidates here, and Shayuri: will post a final pick, and I wlll narrate away the extra characters. I reserve the right to use them as NPCs.

I will then move down the list. HolyMan:, renau1g:, industrygothica:, Walking Dad:. If you don't want to come in at that point, you can pass and go to the back of the list.

You do not need a build until we get into a formal Encounter which will occur at least two days after the whole party is chosen. Any "encounters" during party building will be handled by DM fiat.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
HolyMan won the roll. If he is willing and able, he will be #2 and needs a name, race, and loose background and personality for one character of his choice. I will be working it in to the wakeup scene or the scene following.

Highlighted my question, I only get to post one character? I have an adventuring party put together that I thought could "find" the Scholar during his awakening, maybe they found him in a dungeon and took him to a city or temple. Anyway I have five charaters (two of which are married so they don't go without the other, leaving me my three) I thought I need three?

And my second question is I don't have to post all the character info in my first post? was thinking of RPing it out as The Scholar asks questions and stuff.

The name of the campaign is now "The Awakening".

I like it, :lol:

HM

Shayuri

First Post
Here's a workup of The Scholar...comments and suggestions welcome.

[sblock=The Scholar]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Scholar, level 3
Deva, Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Orb of Imposition
Background: Occupation - Scholar (+2 to Arcana)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 12.

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 16 Will: 17
HP: 32 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Religion +12, History +12, Insight +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +3, Heal +4, Intimidate +2, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth +1, Streetwise +2, Thievery +1, Athletics

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Battle Intuition
Level 2: Remembered Wizardry

POWERS
Wizard at-will 1: Winged Horde
Wizard at-will 1: Phantom Bolt
Wizard encounter 1: Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation
Wizard daily 1: Arcane Whirlwind
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Sleep
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Phantom Chasm
Wizard utility 2: Shield
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Spectral Image
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Memory to Mist
Wizard encounter 3: Color Spray

ITEMS
Reading Spectacles (heroic tier), Orb of Ultimate Imposition +1, Periapt of Proof against Poison +1, Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Ritual Book
RITUALS
Amanuensis, Tenser's Floating Disk, Comprehend Language, Last Sight Vision[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads