D&D 4E 4E's "Proud Nails"

tuxgeo

Adventurer
For me, it would be bards. I just could never wrap my head around what the bard was actually doing in game.

Distracting attention from the Storm Sorcerers, of course.
("Don't look at the Storm Sorcerer with his single-target At-Wills, look at ME instead!")

Gah. During the year 2011, in the real world, Hurricane Irene was (at one time) in both Virginia and Vermont at the same time. What, 300 miles apart? So Storm Sorcerers have an At-Will attack power that covers:
Target: One creature.

Dang. "Blazing Starfall" is Area burst 1 in 10; but it has a Cosmic Magic rider to it. And "Burning Spray" is Close blast 3; but it has a Dragon Magic rider to it.
The Sorcerer At-Wills that suggest Storms are Lightning Strike and Storm Walk, each of which is Ranged 10, One creature.

Sure, we don't expect Storm Sorcerers to invoke Hurricane Irene at will; but aren't most storms big instead of precise?

That's why the Bard has to distract people from looking at Storm Sorcerers: they can see the shortcomings of Bards easily enough; and while they worry about that, they'll leave Sorcery alone. (Sort of.)

Kynn

Adventurer
- Progressive challenges: if I could point one thing that made me nuts on 4E is this. Everything should pose a challenge to parties, wherever they are. City guards level increasing to make a decent challenge. A common lock "DC" increasing just for the sake of the challenge. ARGH! I've never DMed it that way. I've just ignored that kind of suggestion and module adventures and make things make sense...

That thing with the lock DC didn't really happen.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
The biggest proud nail in 4th Edition for me... "feyweave". And all those other weird, special material armors that for some reason pop up when you boost the magic to +4. Do they do anything flavorful or interesting? Nope, just an extra armor bonus. With... maybe one exception.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
The biggest proud nail in 4th Edition for me... "feyweave". And all those other weird, special material armors that for some reason pop up when you boost the magic to +4. Do they do anything flavorful or interesting? Nope, just an extra armor bonus. With... maybe one exception.

Yes! Those all seemed arbitrary ways for you to optimise your character that little bit more.

Another addition to the list: putting defence bonuses onto various items when they made it so that you were only supposed to get them on cloaks/equivalent.

Remove ads