• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th ED Questions

1) Read Planes of Law, Planes of Chaos, and Planes of Opposition, heck, just read pre-4th Ed D&D lore.

Belived it or not I have The Planewalker's Handbook on my bookshelf. And more pre-4e books than 4e books. I know much of the pre-4e lore (not all of it of course - with the splat bloat TSR put out that dwarfs anything WotC have ever done ther is no way to do so). And I still prefer the 4e cosmology for anything except a pre-Faction War Planescape game.

And the MM1 has plenty of lore in it. I can make a convincing case that it provides me with more lore per monster than the 2E Monstrous Manual It's just written dryly and with relevant details in play and evocative details and a lot of subtle psychology rather than with %Liar chances and ecology.

S'mon

Legend
Okay, I'll be blunt: Why are people in the 4E forum complaining about how much 4E sucks?

If you want a lot of fluff and backstory, both Monster Vault products are far better than the first Monster Manual.

MV is a lot better than MM (so is MV:TTNV), but still does not have a text description of the monsters, the kind I could paraphrase. And no WoTC product describes what any of the monster powers look like in-world, beyond their title. Some are fairly obvious (arc lightning), others I have no idea what is supposed to be happening in-world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads