D&D 5E 5e Basic Rules poll

How do you feel about the 5th edition Basic Rules?

• Love it!

Votes: 219 71.6%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Reserving judgement until I actually play

Votes: 70 22.9%

Tush Hog

First Post
I love it!

Like AstroCat, I've been playing D&D a long time and this looks to become my preferred version by a good bit.

Tortoise

First Post
I do not see any deal breakers, however in my opinion this is not a basic set of rules. Too many things are included that should have been options.

I will be taking a red pen to it after I print it out to mark the options. Otherwise I like it.

Raith5

Adventurer
It looks better than 3.x, and I'd join a game, but I'd still rather play 4e or RC.

Yep. I have positive feelings towards it and am keen to play a game of basic 5e, but I still prefer the core underpinnings of 4e (for all its imperfections).

MJS

First Post
I skimmed the basic rules, and like what I see overall. Been playing since '84.

Sure, there's stuff I'd change if DMing it. But what struck me about 5e is its compatibility. I see no problem in using a 1e or 2e surprise/initiative, or even changing it based on circumstance - size of battle and sofoth - I can throw in my simplified weapon vs. AC, and tone down the frequency of advantage mechanics with previous editions, or on the fly rulings. I already use free cantrips and open multiclassing.

I disagree with the notion of "if you're going to houserule it, why bother", at least personally. I remakn interested because I have never played any D&D btb. The very notion of that seems alien to me. But 5e looks like a strong, versatile base from which to play this game I love, informed and enhanced by the richness that has come before.

I'm also interested in 5e because some younger gamers are. It's ok with me if some think 1e is hokey or too much like jazz. I want to see the hobby survive and flourish, and not fall into generational cliques.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I like how you respond to my point about forcing opinions on people by trying to force an opinion on me ("ruined your day"). :)

You're pretty sure this is an unfair reading of his post, aren't you? :p

——

I like 5B. I'm pretty happy with the feel and the mechanics. They nailed the feel of D&D for me, which I've discovered matters more to me than strict mechanical balance. I did not expect that to be the case.

Thaumaturge.

I love it. It's old-school and new-school at the same time.

I keep seeing the word, "MEH," in this thread. For me the only thing "MEH is that it's Basic, i.e.: lacking the coolest options--but that's a feature of 5B (as Thaumaturge likes to call it) and not a point against 5E as a whole. I read the news, and I knew better than to expect the juiciest bits in 5B.

I like how you respond to my point about forcing opinions on people by trying to force an opinion on me ("ruined your day"). :)
I didn't read any hostility from him, so you shouldn't either. How's that for forcing an opinion on you? :cool:

Remove ads