D&D 5E 5e Basic Rules poll

How do you feel about the 5th edition Basic Rules?

• Love it!

Votes: 219 71.6%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Reserving judgement until I actually play

Votes: 70 22.9%

Stormonu

Legend
I'm getting vibes of 2E, 3E and 4E from the game. Haven't had the chance to actually play, but I mostly like what I see so far (though lack of monster lore makes me concerned - we'll see how the MM handles things).

What I really like is that I feel like I could pull my 1E/2E modules right off the shelf and run them with minimal or no conversion. Couldn't do that with 3E or 4E without major surgery.

Keldryn

Adventurer
I'm getting vibes of 2E, 3E and 4E from the game. Haven't had the chance to actually play, but I mostly like what I see so far (though lack of monster lore makes me concerned - we'll see how the MM handles things).

What I really like is that I feel like I could pull my 1E/2E modules right off the shelf and run them with minimal or no conversion. Couldn't do that with 3E or 4E without major surgery.
Mike Mearls said in that Time Show podcast that the MM emphasizes the monsters' story role in the game world. He was asked if it talk about ecology, organization, and physiology, and he said yes. He said that you should just be able to open to page 1 of the MM and just have fun reading it.

So sounds like the 2e MM and the two 4e MV products.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I'm loving the monster manual already!

The AD&D 2nd edition monstrous manual was my favorite monster manual just for that...

Nebulous

Legend
Mike Mearls said in that Time Show podcast that the MM emphasizes the monsters' story role in the game world. He was asked if it talk about ecology, organization, and physiology, and he said yes. He said that you should just be able to open to page 1 of the MM and just have fun reading it.

So sounds like the 2e MM and the two 4e MV products.

Thank God. Glad to hear that. Reading the monsters manuals was always my favorite part of D&D.

For me, design-wise and philosophically 5e is better than 4th, different but on par with 3rd, worse than any D&D prior to 2000.

This is not old school D&D, it's 4e mark II. It's another try at making Dungeons & Dragons a Big Model Forge-derived storytelling game.

The rules are interesting in places. For instance, they put Age into Races, include player-directed exploration and discovery (under Finding a Hidden Object), and have a very detailed Exhaustion table. Not to mention a few interesting spell / magic system rules.

EDIT:
The really bad part for me was the Introduction. They still lie about D&D being group storytelling and about not playing a game (deciphering the pattern of a ruleset to achieve a goal).

I can see why you dislike the tone, but I can't see what you have against the rules. In what way do these rules interfere with your distinctive style of D&D gaming?

Ningauble

First Post
Love It! I was skeptical when Wizards said it would be a mix of all editions, but I think they pulled it off. The emphasis on the story telling is great. I also love all the references to Dragonlance and the Forgotten Realms in the rulebooks. Just feels like D&D should.

IronWolf

blank
I answered the poll that I am reserving judgment, but really - I like what I see so far in the Basic PDF download. Probably a few tweaks here and there, but it feels more like making house rules than overhauls to bring it into "spec". Definitely a positive vibe at this point.

Remove ads