5E: Converting AD&D Monsters to Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
Maybe -1d6 STR and DEX for one minute?

I think it'd make more sense to have it last until a short/long rest, like the Strength Drain of a Shadow.

Something like this, perhaps:

Rapier #3. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d6 + 5) piercing damage plus 22 (4d10) force damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 22 Constitution saving throw or the target's Strength score is reduced by 1d6 and their Dexterity score is reduced by 1d6. The target dies if this reduces its Strength or Dexterity to 0. Otherwise, the effects last until the target finished a short or long rest. Both reductions can be removed by the greater restoration spell or similar magic.​

Alternatively, we could have the Dexterity effect cause paralysis at DEX 0 and maybe have it do a different amount of damage.

Like so:

Rapier #4. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d6 + 5) piercing damage plus 22 (4d10) force damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 22 Constitution saving throw or the target's Strength score is reduced by 1d4 and their Dexterity score is reduced by 1d6. The target dies if this reduces its Strength and becomes paralyzed if their Dexterity is reduced to 0. Otherwise, the effects last until the target finished a short or long rest. Both reductions can be removed by the greater restoration spell or similar magic.​

I like #4 the best. Would also consider changing the extra damage to 22 (4d10) necrotic [making Rapier #5] instead of force, since that's the damage type of the aforementioned Shadow Strength Drain, or alternatively 11 (2d10) force damage plus 11 (2d10) necrotic damage [for Rapier #6] so some of it is likely to get through damage immunities.

Think I prefer the mixed damage type (#6) of those two options.

Last edited:

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
3 attack types seems a bit..complicated. Also since Monsters of the Multiverse all fiends do force damage - even with weapons, so splitting like below aligns more with Canon content (and is simpler)

Rapier #7. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d6 + 5) force damage plus 22 (4d10) necrotic damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 22 Constitution saving throw or the target's Strength score is reduced by 1d46 and their Dexterity score is reduced by 1d6. The target dies if this reduces its Strength and becomes paralyzed if their Dexterity is reduced to 0. Otherwise, the effects last until the target finished a short or long rest. Both reductions can be removed by the greater restoration spell or similar magic.

Cleon

Legend
3 attack types seems a bit..complicated. Also since Monsters of the Multiverse all fiends do force damage - even with weapons, so splitting like below aligns more with Canon content (and is simpler)

Rapier #7. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d6 + 5) force damage plus 22 (4d10) necrotic damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 22 Constitution saving throw or the target's Strength score is reduced by 1d46 and their Dexterity score is reduced by 1d6. The target dies if this reduces its Strength and becomes paralyzed if their Dexterity is reduced to 0. Otherwise, the effects last until the target finished a short or long rest. Both reductions can be removed by the greater restoration spell or similar magic.

Works for me.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I meant that 1d46 to be 1d4 but must have hit Save before deleting the holdover 6.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Fixed...I was just wondering where to get a 46-sided die...

You roll a 92-sided dice and halve the result. :p

More seriously, you could roll a d24, rerolling any results of 24. Then roll another die, let's say a d6, and add 23 to the icosikaitetrahedron's result if the d6 is 4-6.

That gives a linear distribution from 1 to 46: a 50% chance of 1–23 (1d23) plus a 50% chance of 24–46 (1d23+23).

Alternatively, do something similar with either a d12 and a d4 or a d8 plus a d6.

For example, roll a d12 for 1-12 and then roll a d4, adding +12 to the d12 result if the d4 is a 2, +24 for a 3, and +35 if the d4 rolls 4. That gives a linear distribution from 1 to 48, so for 1 to 46 any result of 47 or 48 would have to be rerolled.

Cleon

Legend
Great - I have CR 21 pencilled in...

I ran her numbers and as-is she only comes to Challenge 21 if we don't tag her as "No Resistances" and don't make any allowances for the special abilities her attacks inflict (slow, charming, ability reduction et cetera). With Resistances tagged she's CR 23 and with Immunities tagged she's CR 24.

My gut/back of an envelope guesswork figures she's more a Challenge 22 (41,000) or 23 (50,000 XP) with her working draft stats, depending on how effective we make her unfinished Special Abilities and tail venom - we never signed off on that.

Noticed a couple of errors and omissions in the rough draft so I've updated the Baalphegor Working Draft.

Nothing major, the Tail attack was called Rapier and it still had a few cases of [NAME] instead of her actual name.

Remove ads