5E: Converting AD&D Monsters to Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
ok - you were not so keen on the beguiling aura?

No, I was fine with giving her a Beguiling Aura trait but hadn't worked on the details.

How about this:

Beguiling Aura In her natural form, Baalphegor's voice and appearance are bewitchingly beautiful. Every [types of creature?] within 60 feet of Baalphegor that can see or hear her must succeed on a DC 23 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed as long as Baalphegor remains within range and is visible or audible.​
 A charmed target has disadvantage on saving throws against Baalphegor's powers of Devilish Mockery, Twisting Words and suggestion.​
 While charmed, a target will try to stay within range of the aura, following Baalphegor by the most direct route available. They don't avoid opportunity attacks, but before moving into damaging terrain, such as lava or a pit, and whenever it takes damage, the target can repeat the saving throw. The target can also repeat the saving throw once every hour. If the saving throw is successful, the effect ends on it. A target that successfully saves is immune to Baalphegor's Beguiling Aura for the next 24 hours.​

Not sure what sort of creatures it should effect. I based the above on a Harpy's Luring Song, which uses "every humanoid and giant" but am leaning towards broadening that a bit to include every "natural" creature (e.g. "Any creature that is not a celestial, construct, fiend or undead") or maybe just "every creature" so it even affects demons and angels unless they're immune to being charmed.

The Incubus/Succubus has a charm that only affects humanoids, but I don't think Baalphegor's version would be so restricted.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
I was thinking similar (i.e. a broader than merely humanoid/giant - so "Any creature that is not a celestial, construct, fiend or undead" sounds fine to me. Aberrations I could go either way on.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
ok so Twisting Words probably overlaps alot with suggestion and/or Beguiling Aura so maybe ditching/reworking this is prudent..?

Twisting Words. Baalphegor targets one creature she can see within 60 feet of her. The target must succeed on a DC 23 Charisma saving throw or become charmed by Baalphegor for 1 minute. The charmed target can repeat the saving throw if Baalphegor deals any damage to it. A creature that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to Baalphegor’s Twisting Words for 24 hours.

Devilish Mockery I really like as a bonus action

Devilish Mockery. Baalphegor speaks to a target within 60 feet. If the target can hear Baalphegor, it must succeed on a DC 23 Wisdom saving throw or take 21 (6d6) psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.

(but contemplating whether it needs a tweak - maybe it makes subject frightened?

Cleon

Legend
ok so Twisting Words probably overlaps alot with suggestion and/or Beguiling Aura so maybe ditching/reworking this is prudent..?

Twisting Words. Baalphegor targets one creature she can see within 60 feet of her. The target must succeed on a DC 23 Charisma saving throw or become charmed by Baalphegor for 1 minute. The charmed target can repeat the saving throw if Baalphegor deals any damage to it. A creature that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to Baalphegor’s Twisting Words for 24 hours.

Hmm, maybe make it work like dominate rather than suggestion?

Hmm, maybe…

Twisting Words #2. Baalphegor speaks to a creature that is charmed by her Beguiling Aura. The target must succeed on a DC 23 Charisma saving throw or follow Baalphegor's commands until the end of its next turn. The target ignores suicidal or self-destructive orders but does its best to obey any other command. If the creature has no orders to follow, it defends and preserves itself to the best of its ability. Each time the target takes damage, the target can repeat the saving throw. If the saving throw is successful, the effect ends on it. A creature that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to Baalphegor's Beguiling Aura and Twisting Words for 24 hours.
I was thinking we'd make Twisting Words a bonus action as well, like Devilish Mockery.

Speaking of which…

Devilish Mockery. Baalphegor speaks to a target within 60 feet. If the target can hear Baalphegor, it must succeed on a DC 23 Wisdom saving throw or take 21 (6d6) psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.

(but contemplating whether it needs a tweak - maybe it makes subject frightened?

Like so?

Devilish Mockery #2. Baalphegor speaks to a target within 60 feet. If the target can hear Baalphegor, it must succeed on a DC 23 Wisdom saving throw or take 21 (6d6) psychic damage and be frightened until the end of its next turn.
Sure, that works for me.

Cleon

Legend
ok sold - I like both of these tweaks and both as bonus actions

Updated the Baalphegor Working Draft.

That just leaves Fiery Eyes. How about this:

Fiery Eyes. Baalphegor's eyes flash with flame as she glares at a creature within ### feet. If the target can see Baalpheror, it must succeed at a DC 23 Constitution saving throw or take ## (#d#) fire damage and be blinded until the end of its next turn. Creatures with resistance or immunity to either fire damage or radiant damage cannot be blinded by Baalphegor's Fiery Eyes.​

I'm thinking this is another candidate for a Bonus Action.

Would give it a decent range and piddling damage. Perhaps 300 feet and 6 (1d12) or 13 (2d12) fire damage?

Remove ads