5E: Converting AD&D Monsters to Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend

Looking good!

Updated the Baalphegor Working Draft.

Just noticed a couple more minor inconsistencies.

The Mistress of Mephistar. in Description is missing the " " em-indentation at the start of the paragraph.

More significantly, the Credit is different from the Enworld version, which uses "(Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #76 (August 1984) as part of "The Nine Hells, Part II" by Ed Greenwood.)"

Cleon

Legend
https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/4154922-baalphegor

italic bolded subheadings have not been indented my end to date...?

Yeah, usually you put a linespace before the subheading instead.

Heck, that'll do. We've spent enough time on this one.

I'll update the Index of 5th Edition Conversions of AD&D Monsters and Completed Fifth Edition Creatures Index.

So shall we move on?

It's the Efreeti Firelord next I believe.

We hit pause on that conversion after this post.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah...I was happy with Magic Resistance... STR 25 and CHA 24

So are we agreed on:

Genie, Efreeti Firelord
Huge elemental, lawful evil
Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 290 (20d12 + 160)
Speed 50 ft., fly 80 ft.

STR​
DEX​
CON​
INT​
WIS​
CHA​
25 (+7)​
12 (+1)​
26 (+8)​
17 (+3)​
16 (+3)​
24 (+7)​

Magic Resistance The efreeti firelord has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Body of Smokeless Flame sounds intriguing too

The problem is, it's so long since I did that Noble Efreet rough draft I've forgotten a lot of the ideas I came up with.

How about having Body of Smokeless Flame mean the Firelord can turn into insubstantial flame, allowing it to fly around as if in gaseous form and be immune to non-magical weapons plus maybe resistant to most other forms of damage? However, in smokeless flame form the Firelord's only way of causing damage is using its "Fire Form/Heated Body" trait against creatures that touch or hit it.

For the "it only burns things it wants to burn" trait, it makes more sense to call it something like Precision Ignition so it's pretty explicit what it does.

We were also talking about giving it the ability to burn creatures and objects that are normally resistant or immune to fire damage. I was thinking of calling it Spirit of Combustion or Immolation.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
all sound good - also thinking of a fiery curse that makes opponents Vulnerable to fire damage - maybe combine with something that makes Resistant opponents non-resistance and Immune opponents Resistant?

Innate Spellcasting. The efreeti firelord’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: command, detect magic, enlarge/reduce, tongues

3/day each: conjure elemental (fire elemental only), gaseous form, invisibility, major image, wall of fire

1/day each: plane shift

Attack damage is going to be buffed by bonus actions/reactions etc.

Multiattack.
The efreeti firelord makes three attacks, using any combination of scimitar attack and its hurl flame power.

Scimitar.
Melee Weapon Attack:
+12 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (3d6 + 7) slashing damage plus 7 (2d6) fire damage.

Hurl Flame.
Ranged Spell Attack:
+9 to hit, range 120 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (6d6) fire damage.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
all sound good - also thinking of a fiery curse that makes opponents Vulnerable to fire damage - maybe combine with something that makes Resistant opponents non-resistance and Immune opponents Resistant?

That was basically my idea for how "Immolation" would work.

Innate Spellcasting. The efreeti firelord’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: command, detect magic, enlarge/reduce, tongues

3/day each: conjure elemental (fire elemental only), gaseous form, invisibility, major image, wall of fire

1/day each: plane shift

Attack damage is going to be buffed by bonus actions/reactions etc.

Aren't we aiming for a CR in the high teens or low twenties? That is, Challenge 18 to 21 or so.

Currently I was assuming CR 20 (25,000) like a Pit Fiend, for a Proficiency Bonus of +6.

With Charisma 24 that gives it DC 21 (also like a Pit Fiend) and +13 to hit.

I'd make more of its Innate Spellcasting at-will, like all of the SLAs of you-know-who and the Pasha of the Efreet we're using as inspirations.

Speaking of the Pasha, it also has flame strike and polymorph self as at-will spells:

From I4 Oasis of the White Palm said:
Pashas can perform the following spells at will as 15th level magic users: fireball, flame strike, wall of fire, invisibility,assume gaseous form, detect magic, enlarge, polymorph self, create illusion with both visual and aural effects; and fulfill another’s wish

The Noble Efreet from Al-Qadim that's our other main inspiration has even more SLAs:

At-Will: produce flame, flame arrows, sundazzle,or cause pyrotechnics
3/Day: grant wishes, become invisible, assume gaseous form, detect magic, enlarge, polymorph themselves, create illusion, sunscorch, misdirect, create wall of fire
1/Day: fire seeds, fire shield
1/Week: fire track
1/Month: conflagration
I'd say that many is going way overboard for a 5E conversion though, plus we might give it a few of these spells separately in Actions, possibly as an equivalent supernatural ability.

So maybe:

Innate Spellcasting. The efreeti firelord's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 21, +13 to hit with spell attacks). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.
  • At will: detect magic, enlarge/reduce, fireball, flame strike, polymorph self, wall of fire
  • 3/day each: conjure elemental (fire elemental only), gaseous form, invisibility, major image, plane shift, tongues
I am fine giving it abilities that boost its regular spells, but we can sort those out later.​

Cleon

Legend
ok adopting pink text

Updating Efreeti Firelord Working Draft.

So I guess we should finish off the rest of the basic stats.

Let's see, a regular Efreeti has:

Saving Throws INT +7, WIS +6, CHA +7
Damage Immunities fire
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages Ignan
It also seems worth comparing them to other genies, like a Marid:

Saving Throws DEX +5, WIS +7, CHA +8
Damage Immunities acid, cold, lightning
Senses blindsight 30 ft., darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Aquan
Or a Dao:

Saving Throws INT +5, WIS +5, CHA +6
Condition Immunities petrified
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Terran
However, the Firelord is far smarter and stronger than a standard Dao, Efreeti or Marid.

We were aiming for a power level equivalent to a Balor:

Saving Throws STR +14, CON +12, WIS +9, CHA +12
Damage Resistances cold, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Abyssal, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 19
Or a Pit Fiend:

Saving Throws DEX +8, CON +13, WIS +10
Damage Resistances cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Infernal, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 20
Now, I fancy adding a Save Proficiency to the standard efreeti to give them four Saving Throws. That means picking a physical ability Save: Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.

I'd go for Strength since the Al-Qadim Monstrous Compendium says Noble Efreet are really proud of their muscles. Don't like Dexterity because the 5E Marid has DEX, WIS, CHA and I'd prefer a contrast, while Constitution feels more appropriate for the Dao Goldmaster, since they are "earthy" genies.

The Al-Qadim MC also says a Noble Efreeti is telepathic (although that applies to most genies in AD&D), so let's give them the 120 foot telepathy that seems standard for megafiends.

I'm also thinking the Firelord deserves some skills, since Noble Efreet "are masters of strategy and trickery" according to their Monstrous Compendium entries.

I like the skill selection the 5E City of Brass gives to the Marid of Deception, History, Performance, Persuasion is a good selection for a noble, but I feel a warrior like an efreeti lord would prefer Intimidation to Performance.

Heck, let's give it both. No reason a Firelord can't be cultured!

Cutting to the quick, that would make:

Efreeti Firelord Working Draft
Saving Throws STR +13, INT +9, WIS +9, CHA +13
Skills Deception +13, History +9, Intimidation +13?, Performance +13?, Persuasion +13
Damage Immunities fire
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Ignan, telepathy 120 ft.

That looks good.

Any suggestions?

Remove ads