5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
I made nandie-bear (kerit) charisma 14 to reflect its "presence", and boss charisma 12 (has to be greater than 10, right?)

Updated the Nandie-Ape Boss Working Draft.

Guess we should agree on the Constitution and Charisma values.

I'm leaning slightly towards CON 13 (+1) so both its Strength and Constitution are halfway between the STR +1, CON +0 bonuses of a standard Nandie-Ape and the STR +3, CON +2 of the 5E Ape.

Charisma 12 seems a tad high.

A CHA 11 (+0) would be halfway between the Nandie-Bear and a Nandie-Ape, which sort of makes sense.

There's also an argument for just putting it a notch higher than a regular Nandie-Ape's Charisma 7 at CHA 9 (–1).

Any preferences?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
BTW here is revised Nandie-ape with first attempt at description

Attachments

• nandie2.png
    nandie2.png
    475.5 KB · Views: 181

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
..yeah. there is a typo in yr nandie-ape's rock damage (should be 3 not 4)

here is latest boss just for calibrating...will look at shadow dancers while we wait....

PS: While I think of it, would it be good on the WD critters spreadsheet to put the WD issue the critters first appeared in as a column?

Attachments

• nandiboss2.png
    nandiboss2.png
    339.6 KB · Views: 68

Cleon

Legend
..yeah. there is a typo in yr nandie-ape's rock damage (should be 3 not 4)

Fixed the Ape damage.

Also noticed and fixed some damage errors in the Ape Boss.

here is latest boss just for calibrating...will look at shadow dancers while we wait....

The main schtick of those things is their unreasonably high Armor Class.

Might deserve a few minor demon-type special defences on top of that if being hard to harm is there thing.

Well, that and "turn into indestructible statues when not touched by moonlight".

PS: While I think of it, would it be good on the WD critters spreadsheet to put the WD issue the critters first appeared in as a column?

That's an idea.

Bit concerned it might make the table too crowded, but I'll give it a go.

Cleon

Legend
Bit concerned it might make the table too crowded, but I'll give it a go.

…and here's a go!

Index of 5th Edition White Dwarf Magazine Conversions
NAME​
Issue​
D&D Beyond [CC]​
Enworld​
CR​
Argorian Wormkin
#29​
1/4​
Enslaver
#21​
1​
Pine Kindred (picture)
#21​
1​
Pine Kindred, Jarl (picture)
#21​
4​
Pine Kindred, Thane (picture)
#21​
3​
Pine Kindred, Fircarl
—​
—​
1/2​
Pine Kindred, Resin-Hound (picture)
—​
1/4​
Pine Kindred, Resin-Thrall (picture)
—​
1/8​
Entry
#​
—​
—​
#​
Entry, Variant
#​
—​
—​
#​
Entry, Related
#​
—​
—​
#​

Looks OK.

Moved the Challenge ratings to the edge of the table since it looked better than having them next to the White Dwarf Issue #s.

Shall I update the White Dwarf Conversion Index along those lines when I can find time? It needs to have the Tizun Thane monsters added to it anyway.

Tempted to do something similar with the Completed Fifth Edition Creatures Index by adding a "Source" column. Will think it over.

Also, just remembered I'd neglected to include the credit in the Argorian Wormkin's Enworld post.

Better edit that in before I forget again.

Cleon

Legend
(Updated to 5e from original 1e monster by Barney Sloane, appearing in White Dwarf 29 "Fiend Factory" - "Desert Light" mini-module)

Any objections to me rewording this to be close to the format we used for the Enslaver?, i.e.:

(Originally created by Barney Sloane; appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #29 (Feb/Mar 1982) as part of the Fiend Factory mini-module "The Desert Light", edited by Albie Fiore.)​

Hmm… I'd be tempted to add the "Fiend Factory" and "edited by" to the Enslaver too, i.e.:

(Originally created by Roger E. Moore; appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) as part of the Fiend Factory mini-module "One-Eye Canyon", edited by Albie Fiore.)​

instead of the current:

(Originally created by Roger E. Moore, first appearing in White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) as part of the mini-module "One-Eye Canyon" by Albie Fiore.)

EDIT: Yes, I like the above a lot better. I've added the following credit to the Pine Kindred:

(Originally created by Julian Lawrence; appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) as part of the Fiend Factory mini-module "One-Eye Canyon", edited by Albie Fiore.)​

EDITED EDIT: The additional varieties of Pine Kindred such as the Resin-Thrall have a tweaked version of the above:

(Inspired by the Pine Kindred by Julian Lawrence; appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) as part of the Fiend Factory mini-module "One-Eye Canyon", edited by Albie Fiore.)​

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
(Based on the Nandie from "The Halls of Tizun Thane" by Albie Fiore in White Dwarf Magazine #18 (Apr/May 1980).)

There's something a little clunky-looking about this.

Those two closing parentheses at the end - the ").)" - don't look that good to me.

Maybe reverse the order?

(Based on the Nandie in White Dwarf Magazine #18 (Apr/May 1980), from "The Halls of Tizun Thane" by Albie Fiore.)

Hmm, that reads a bit better.

I'll change the Nandie-Ape (Koddoelo) and Nandie-Ape Boss Working Draft to that.

Cleon

Legend
(Inspired by the Pine Kindred by Julian Lawrence; appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) as part of the Fiend Factory mini-module "One-Eye Canyon", edited by Albie Fiore.)

Maybe one of these would be better:

(Inspired by the Pine Kindred by Julian Lawrence from White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) that appeared in the Fiend Factory mini-module "One-Eye Canyon", edited by Albie Fiore.)

(Inspired by the Pine Kindred by Julian Lawrence that appeared in White Dwarf Magazine #21 (Oct/Nov 1980) as part of the Fiend Factory mini-module "One-Eye Canyon", edited by Albie Fiore.)​

The first one's a bit clunkier but I can't decide whether the second's an improvement on the current wording though.

EDIT: No, the second one just runs on too long. I'll stick to the current version.

Remove ads