(5E) D&D/Moorcock Multiverse Inspiration PBP

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The satyr rolled his eyes at her and continued talking. "Ursala. She housemaid. She champion's lover...Uh...old champion..."

He stout-but-short, horned-and-hooved guy pointed at Ralph Crenshaw. "You got Grail Blade. YOU the CHAMPION now! The queen is dead! Grand Vizier Aov sent me to find yoo!"

Ralph blushes a bit at the mention of the "champion's lover".

"No need to shout, dude," he says. "If I'm the champion now, then let's get the show on the road. Who's this Grand Vizier guy, and when do we leave?"

CharlotteOz

Explorer
Alan felt pulled this way and that, by all the repeated comments about princesses and all the complicated feelings he was beginning to realize that he had about that, and by the emotion in Page's face, and by how lost Bradrick was. He just wanted to crawl into a hole and cry himself to sleep, to just let a roiling cauldron of feelings and doubts roll over him.

But there was no time for sleep, and there were people who were coming unglued just as surely as he was, and so, Alan put it away somewhere inside. He folded Page into his arms, and let her cry. And as she did, he spoke to Bradrick.

"Brad, I'm sorry that you got swept up in all of this. I'm going to try and find a way to get us all back home. In the meantime, if you need to talk, let me know. And if you need something to do, well, this is a boat; they always need extra hands."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Selythin was already planning the next step in his plan. He was used to planning waging war, and having obedient soldiers. He turned to look at the group in the boat, and saw fear and sadness. Both his former selves, the elf and the devil, would likely have executed on of these pathetic folks in order to force the others to obey. Now, he felt something he was not used to: compassion.

lowering his voice for only the folks in the boat to hear, he says: “These are difficult times, and I am sorry for your anguish. We however have a chance to learn what is happening. There is a creature sixty feet in that direction. I believe we can Either dupe it to give information, or capture and interrogate it. If we know what is going on, we can help others. Are you all with me?”

JharyOConnah

Explorer
(Just to make it perfectly clear, you are all in the close vicinity to one another. Ahead of both groups you are observing the same terrain/persons/actions/etc.)

Eovin flew above the trees, cresting the smoke. The foilage below was more smoldering than actively burning, like the fire had been more intense before and was now dying.

Bradrick, Page and cousin Zenythin nodded at Selythin's small speech.

The rowboat wound its way toward the western bank of the river. Zenythin hopped off the prow and onto the shore. He held a hand up to the rest.

The stranded travelers (Eovin up above and everyone on the rowboat below) all saw the treeline ended in front of them.

The river intersected with the forest edge and the little pixie, so high in the air, saw the boat along the embankment. She could see everyone on board, Selythin, Alan, and the rest.

In the distance, the pixie also spied a castle, in the center of the widening river. A plume of smoke curled up from the scorched battlements of the keep.

Right after the trees, a close distance away in a wide hilly area, stood a large structure made out of wood and metal. It was bleachers and benches. For spectating...something.

Protruding from the ground, to one side of the big construction, was a wooden pole displaying a large pennant lazily flapping in the wind. It bore an eight-sided arrow in radial design. The symbol of Chaos.

Eovin and those on the water-craft, although from slightly different angles, looked at the back side of the thing. The seats were empty except for a brutish pair occupying one of the middle benches. They faced the burning ruins in the distance.

An ogre with an eye-patch and a green-skinned troll lounged on one of the long bleachers. They were obviously intoxicated. Tremendously so, in fact.

The same loud voice from before boomed. It was the ogre. "Which way was it, anyhow, Boris? Wasn't there uh... portal somewheres about?"

The troll, now in ear-shot, responded. "How in the great abyss should I know, guv? Been naughty word-faced since the start o' the whole thing, haven't I? Can't remember which bloody plane we're on anyway…" He hiccuped loudly.

Below the benches, pushing a cart loaded with barrels and wine-skins, a four-armed bug-like fellow approached. He shouted up to the pair. "Oi there! You lads want any more o' this? I'm about to get outta this stinkin' place...head back down the river Styx…"

It appeared the mezzo-demon was hawking booze.

Likewise, it looked like the main event had come to an end.

The stocky, short satyr kept looking at Ralph Crenshaw while the rest of the little fey-folk scattered to the rafters.

He glanced over his shoulder then straight back at Ralph, the Dreaming Knight. "Sorry, Champion. It's...bad time. Everyone scared. Queen dead. Grand Vizier Aov sent me to find yoo. He queen's advisor. Big-little guy. Castle prolly already destroyed. If you wanna go, I'll lead." He gestured around at the hiding faeries. "They too scared. They stay. Or run. I take."

He started to hobble toward the door.

Orland and his wife scurried to the pantry, gathering dried meats, hard-boiled eggs, hunks of cheeses, some bits of bread, and stuffed them into a basket which they shoved at Ralph. They both nodded gravely.

The satyr continued out into the rain, pausing only for a moment to make sure the Dreaming Knight was following.

The little horned and hooved guy marched straight into the nearby woods which were thick with a smokey haze.

(Everyone, Eovin, Alan, Selythin, Ralph, and cowboy Jones take an inspiration. I'm seeing some great roleplaying here. Really happy how the story is coming together. Hope you're still with us Josiah! Ralph, you're almost there! Another level-up is on the way as well. I think you're all experienced players, but remember sometimes things are tough and discretion the better part of valor. Cheers! Love this game. 🤗🎲🎲)

Last edited:

OOC: Clarification, please. The bleachers. Are they facing us or are they facing away from us?

How much distance separates the carts and the rowboat?

Eovin investigates the rowboat at a safe distance as long as there's smoke to hide in. She hopes to overhear the people on the boat talking to figure out if they are friend or foe. If there's no way to approach the boat with cover, she abandons the idea and goes back to the carts.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The satyr continued out into the rain, pausing only for a moment to make sure the Dreaming Knight was following.

"Wait up," Ralph said, walking into the barn. He gathered up his stuff, making sure his sketch book was wrapped well to protect it from the weather. A few minutes later, he walked out of the barn, quarterstaff in hand, the hood of his cloak pulled over his head. "Let's go, dude."

The little horned and hooved guy marched straight into the nearby woods which were thick with a smokey haze.

Ralph sniffs the air. "Is that something burning?"

JharyOConnah

Explorer
459FB37D-9835-4810-8B72-336651D0BDBF.jpeg

JharyOConnah

Explorer
(The rowboat, cart, and bleachers are all about equidistant. About 60ft from/to each other. Bleachers face the castle. The three creatures are, as of yet, unaware of you.)

Last edited:

JharyOConnah

Explorer
"The woods is burning, Champion of the Grail. Most was already lost when Aov sent me. The queen already died. They sent a rescue party after the princess, they did. Same to yoo. I'm bringin' ya, but not sure tah what..." He sniffled, but played it off as irritation from the smoke.

The little satyr put a hanky to his nose as he spoke. Ralph wasn't sure where the handkerchief came from. The little guy wasn't wearing any pants.

The trees all around them smoldered and smoked, but it looked like most of the actual burning was over.

The horn-and-hooved fellow kept clopping through the once-lush forest now turned to bleak hell-scape.

Through the thick of trees and haze, Ralph Crenshaw could see a cart. He also noted the deep ruts in the mud indicating the wagon's path.

He heard voices up ahead. Saw movements on top of the horse-drawn cart.

"Hey! That's the--" "Shhh!" "Maybe that's the Champion?" "That's not him, he's got a white mustache and beard!" "Oh no! Just as the tough, tiny lady flew away..."

The satyr paused and ducked behind a tree.

(Ralph and friend are on the west side of the river, even further south-west behind Jim and Bo's horse-drawn cart, as seen on the map above.)

Last edited:

Eovin flies back to the cart. "Stay quiet," she says as she leads them to the river and turns them toward the rowboat. "Follow this riverbank," she says and again flies forward. At around 12 feet in the air, she approaches the rowboat. She makes a "shh" sound and descends toward the rowboat. "Stay quiet. There's an ogre and a troll just over there. I have friends riding towards you from that direction. I hope you are friendly."

(I assume she is in front of Zenythin, hoping he will not rush off toward the bleachers.)

Remove ads