• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
Based on the histories of the two I have a few thoughts / comments:
  1. Rovagug would be more accurately described as a fiend or more likely a primordial than a god. Since it challenge many gods at once, I would be inclined to make it a primordial.
  2. Given that Pharasma was one of many gods that challenged Rovagug, it seems that Rovagug was stronger. I also didn't see anything to suggest that Pharasma was even the strongest god. Why do you thing it is the "strongest" god?
  3. Here domains are not typically those of the most powerful gods.
  4. Neither them can touch Ahat-Hir ;)
Isn't Ahat-Hir a primordial from 4e mythology included in your 5e Epic Updates?

NotAYakk

Legend
I realize this; however, at the time I (and many others) was of the opinion that encounter guidelines didn't work at high levels / CRs anyway. They plan was to implement a new encounter building guideline as well.

However, I have abandon the approach taken in this thread and my 5e Hardcore Monster Manual thread. That is one reason I started the Mythic Monster Updates thread. I have ran a Kickstarter last year for Immortal rules: Ascension, the Codex of Immortals, which will be published early next month.

In the future, my "epic" monsters will use the standard DMG guidelines, mythic templates from Theros, or my custom "exalted" monster rules from Ascension. These stat blocks are a few years old at this point.

EDIT: If you read the OP, it explains that the assumption is that the encounter guidelines are wrong. If I remember correctly.
Oh sure, they are "undercon", but they measure something. And the something they measure isn't half bad, so long as you understand a party could be 0.5, 1.0, 2.0 or even 5.0 times as strong as the DMG assumes either in general, or against a certain "kind" of encounter.

dave2008

Legend
Oh sure, they are "undercon", but they measure something. And the something they measure isn't half bad, so long as you understand a party could be 0.5, 1.0, 2.0 or even 5.0 times as strong as the DMG assumes either in general, or against a certain "kind" of encounter.
I agree, that is one of the reasons I decided to abandon the approach in this thread. My future "epic" monsters will either use the DMG guidelines or the mythic template from Theros.

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
It is a primordial that I made up. I made it for 4e originally and then updated to 5e in this thread. It is an end of game challenge for deity characters (when the have reached AO level of power). I can't wait to update it to my Ascension rules!
Ok, I was looking ut up and just wondering. I found it in 5E EU. I also noticed that Ahat Hir was CR 55, and has ~ 12000 hp but the devastation swarm of centipedes has 10000 hp but is CR 57. Is the CR different because Ahat Hir is less powerful or something?
-Do you have lore/description links for the creatures in 5e EU or your other epic bestiaries?
-What are your "Ascension" rules? Is it an upcoming project or is it on enworld?
-That was a lot of questions...

dave2008

Legend
Ok, I was looking ut up and just wondering. I found it in 5E EU. I also noticed that Ahat Hir was CR 55, and has ~ 12000 hp but the devastation swarm of centipedes has 10000 hp but is CR 57. Is the CR different because Ahat Hir is less powerful or something?
No, Ahat-Hit (and primordials in general) are monsters in "parts." Each part has a CR and the CR listed under the general Challenge is the average CR of each part. Very misleading and I something I shouldn't have done. Ahat-Hir has 9 parts and a total of 30,627 HP.
-Do you have lore/description links for the creatures in 5e EU or your other epic bestiaries?
Most do not. A few have pictures and some of the arch-devils have some lore. I had planned to add that info in future drafts, but that will be moved to my Ascension project now.
-What are your "Ascension" rules? Is it an upcoming project or is it on enworld?
-That was a lot of questions...
Ascension is an upcoming project that will be published through DriveThruRPG (and possible the DMsGuild for some supplements). I ran a Kickstarter for it last year: Ascension the Codex of Immortals, this first issue will be out in the beginning of July.

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
No, Ahat-Hit (and primordials in general) are monsters in "parts." Each part has a CR and the CR listed under the general Challenge is the average CR of each part. Very misleading and I something I shouldn't have done. Ahat-Hir has 9 parts and a total of 30,627 HP.
So do you think it would be better (just as a guess for this current system) to add all the CRs of the individual parts and, say, divide by 2?

Remove ads