D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
I'm not familiar with Rovagug, can you give me some info on it?
Photos:
Basically he's the second most powerful god (in the Pathfinder Mythos at least) and his spawn includes tarrasque.
I'm thinking CR 60-70.

dave2008

Legend
Photos:
Basically he's the second most powerful god (in the Pathfinder Mythos at least) and his spawn includes tarrasque.
I'm thinking CR 60-70.
Ok, I remember it now (vaguely), l'll look into it maybe next month

NotAYakk

Legend
So a problem with your chart is that by increasing the threat of CR 25 monsters without touching their CR/XP, you end up with the encounter building guidelines being broken.

If you take the DMG numbers, and take (HP)(DPR)(1+(AC+ATK-13)*.1), you get a value that is pretty close to a scalar multiple of XP for that CR. I forgot what the scalar was.

I'd advise you repeat this process on your new "super CR" epic monsters to fix up the XP values.

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
Who's the most powerful?

dave2008

Legend
So a problem with your chart is that by increasing the threat of CR 25 monsters without touching their CR/XP, you end up with the encounter building guidelines being broken.

If you take the DMG numbers, and take (HP)(DPR)(1+(AC+ATK-13)*.1), you get a value that is pretty close to a scalar multiple of XP for that CR. I forgot what the scalar was.

I'd advise you repeat this process on your new "super CR" epic monsters to fix up the XP values.
I realize this; however, at the time I (and many others) was of the opinion that encounter guidelines didn't work at high levels / CRs anyway. They plan was to implement a new encounter building guideline as well.

However, I have abandon the approach taken in this thread and my 5e Hardcore Monster Manual thread. That is one reason I started the Mythic Monster Updates thread. I have ran a Kickstarter last year for Immortal rules: Ascension, the Codex of Immortals, which will be published early next month.

In the future, my "epic" monsters will use the standard DMG guidelines, mythic templates from Theros, or my custom "exalted" monster rules from Ascension. These stat blocks are a few years old at this point.

EDIT: If you read the OP, it explains that the assumption is that the encounter guidelines are wrong. If I remember correctly.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Based on the histories of the two I have a few thoughts / comments:
  1. Rovagug would be more accurately described as a fiend or more likely a primordial than a god. Since it challenge many gods at once, I would be inclined to make it a primordial.
  2. Given that Pharasma was one of many gods that challenged Rovagug, it seems that Rovagug was stronger. I also didn't see anything to suggest that Pharasma was even the strongest god. Why do you thing it is the "strongest" god?
  3. Here domains are not typically those of the most powerful gods.
  4. Neither them can touch Ahat-Hir ;)

Remove ads