• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

synergy2

First Post
You are correct. However, a level 40 creature also has resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage at +5 and below. Thus, they take half damage in general. I realized early on that even with the boost I was giving them with my epic table, they don't have enough HP. This was a clunky fix. The 2nd drafts will resolve this problem.

Interesting to know, I look forward to the second draft.

Since characters will be not leveling past 20 and will instead gain quintessence, will you eventually have a chart for what amount of quintessence equals a certain "level"? For example, your character needs to have "20 quintessence" to be considered level 30; ergo being high enough level to fight a CR 30 monster.

dave2008

Legend
Interesting to know, I look forward to the second draft.

Since characters will be not leveling past 20 and will instead gain quintessence, will you eventually have a chart for what amount of quintessence equals a certain "level"? For example, your character needs to have "20 quintessence" to be considered level 30; ergo being high enough level to fight a CR 30 monster.

Well the system still needs work and is a moving target. Currently 30,000XP = 1QP; however, I didn't plan to come up with level equivalents, but instead translate PCs into CR. So CR 30 PC would be an equal fight for CR 30 monster. I have not yet given much thought to how much QP you need to gain a CR, but it is kinda baked into the current XP chart, but this will probably need to change. Of course, this has been complicated since I have decided to add epic/divine ranks and make CR relative to that rank.

This is one of the areas I hope to resolve before I start the 2nd drafts.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
You ever look at the 1st edition Deity and Demigods for inspiration?

Such as ...

Ma Yuan Killer of Gods.png

Werebat

Explorer
Hey - these are fantastic! I am planning to use all of the demon lords you made in my Out of the Abyss campaign, when the big demon lord kaiju battle happens at the end.

One minor complaint (and it really is only relevant because I want to see them all fighting each other): Pazuzu's flight speed coupled with the sheer range of his Soul Corruption attack seem a bit over the top. In the 1000' high vault of Menzoberranzan, or anywhere with a sky really, they make him the demon prince of "neener neener" against all of the others except Demogorgon, who can still use his gaze attacks on him if he sticks to an altitude of 480'. Everyone else he can outdistance and still get Soul Corruption attacks on. I'd suggest cutting the range of Soul Corruption and Pazuzu's flight speed in half; that makes him less invincible as compared to his fellows.

dave2008

Legend
Hey - these are fantastic! I am planning to use all of the demon lords you made in my Out of the Abyss campaign, when the big demon lord kaiju battle happens at the end.

Great - I hope they work out for you.

One minor complaint (and it really is only relevant because I want to see them all fighting each other): Pazuzu's flight speed coupled with the sheer range of his Soul Corruption attack seem a bit over the top. In the 1000' high vault of Menzoberranzan, or anywhere with a sky really, they make him the demon prince of "neener neener" against all of the others except Demogorgon, who can still use his gaze attacks on him if he sticks to an altitude of 480'. Everyone else he can outdistance and still get Soul Corruption attacks on. I'd suggest cutting the range of Soul Corruption and Pazuzu's flight speed in half; that makes him less invincible as compared to his fellows.

Those are good points. In these 1st drafts I've gone back and forth with the issue of movement and ranges (attacks, telepathy, etc.). Sometimes I have gone with a 4e/5e approach and sometimes a 3e approach. I hope to develop a consistent approach for the 2nd drafts. I would suggest reducing his speed and ranges as needed to be compatible with the other demon lords/princes.

EDIT: I would probably reduce the range the most.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I have post the Eldest (instead of the Elder Brain) to the aberrations section. I have also changed up the to do list.

Up Next:
7) Eldest
8) Bolothamogg
9) Hadar
10) Ityak-Ortheel

dave2008

Legend
I have updated all of the constructs. Thank you [MENTION=6902983]Blacklight85[/MENTION] for your help putting these in the new format, editing, and tweaks!

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Elder Evil Bolothamogg to the Aberrations section. This very little info on Bolothamogg, but it seems to be similar to the HPL Outer God: Yog-Sothoth. So that is what I based this eldritch horror on. It also serves as my version of Yog-sothoth.

Up Next:
8) Bolothamogg
9) Hadar
10) Ityak-Ortheel

Werebat

Explorer
EDIT: I would probably reduce the range the most.

Up late deciding how I want to run this thing tomorrow -- will I use the summons or say that the Faerzress around Menzoberranzan messes with them (I think I won't use them, much as I want to -- they'll only bog things down and not change the outcome much).

I thought of an elegant solution to the problem of Pazuzu being (somewhat) untouchable, though. His long-ranged attack is called "Soul Corruption". How exactly does one corrupt a demon lord's soul? Aren't they all inherently corrupt?

I think I'll rule that it just doesn't work on fiends. Solves the problem for me.

Again, thanks for the conversions! The only thing that would have been better is if Garl Glittergold were finished, because he may be helping the PCs deal with the last demon lord standing...

Remove ads