D&D 3E/3.5 5e Forgotten Realms - should it be closer to 3e or 4e?

Which should 5e Forgotten Realms be closer to be?

• 4e Forgotten Realms

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • 3e Forgotten Realms

Votes: 75 62.5%
  • I hate FR with the passion of a thousand burning suns!

Votes: 26 21.7%

Mokona

First Post
I'm talking about the merging of the two different versions of Faerun (Abeir / Toril) in order to bring in Dragonborn. The spellplague.

Opinions?

Should Forgotten Realms be retconned in D&D Next?

GM Dave

First Post
It should be returned to its roots which was a 1e world.

Since 1e, the different companies have done repeatedly horrible things to the world (Time of Troubles to make 2e and Spell Plague to make 4e).

I would further suggest it is better to go back before 1e Forgotten Realms and do a pre-history period. The 1e, 2e, 3e, and 4e systems have done the 'present' and 'future' to death.

Those stories have been written.

Find a time for a fresh start. GMs and players have plenty of resources online, bookstores, and their own libraries if they want to tell stories of the current and future history.

I would have suggested a leap into the future but 4e did that and they did it in such a butchering way that they killed any real usage for continuance.

I wouldn't worry on the Dragonborn. I'm sure people will 'hand wave' that they were there all along and people went through a period of godly amnesia for a while to explain the drop off of numbers for a few hundred years in the middle.

------------------------

Of course, this whole history has already written out these adventures and stories is why I would suggest a more 'fresh' campaign world start but there will be enough shock to people's systems with a fresh rule system without being burdened with a fresh world to absorb.

S'mon

Legend
Hmm - I much prefer the 4e presentation and general feel to 1e-3e tweeness, but it could have done without 500-mile Underdark chasms, dragonborn, Spellplague etc.

I think overall I'd be happy with the 1e Realms but presented in the 4e style. Emphasise it as a wild and unsettled land, and tone down NPC power greatly.

Daztur

Adventurer
Forgotten+Realms+v1+campaign+set.jpg

Not my favorite setting by a long shot, but the grey box has plenty of big stretches of darkness.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Support all time lines. Similar to how they did it in Star Wars. The core book supports them all. Then we have timeline specific splats. Considering that FR is the only setting that is still receiving hardback support from WotC in 4e that timeline must be popular.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Hmm - I much prefer the 4e presentation and general feel to 1e-3e tweeness, but it could have done without 500-mile Underdark chasms, dragonborn, Spellplague etc.

I think overall I'd be happy with the 1e Realms but presented in the 4e style. Emphasise it as a wild and unsettled land, and tone down NPC power greatly.
I can't give you XP, but definitely this. And, please, stop posting things I agree with.

Remove ads