[5e] "Into The Woods" Horror one-shot. [FULL][OOC]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hi @jmucchiello, and everyone. This is still a new game, and we all don't know each other. I'm not enjoying this banter. I know I have contributed to it (this morning when I rolled a 1 in post 237), and so I'm raising it here. It sounds to me like you are criticizing actions of other players, including me (e.g. 85, 193, 211, 215, 230, and today's 238 and 240), and it is making me not want to post anything. I want to explore the house, and I am tired of being told how foolish it is to do so. I am hoping that by raising it here we can move on without this, or (if it is me who is out of step with the tone of this exchange) I can be told that by the ref or other players. Thanks.

mips42

Adventurer
Hi @jmucchiello, and everyone. This is still a new game, and we all don't know each other. I'm not enjoying this banter. I know I have contributed to it (this morning when I rolled a 1 in post 237), and so I'm raising it here. It sounds to me like you are criticizing actions of other players, including me (e.g. 85, 193, 211, 215, 230, and today's 238 and 240), and it is making me not want to post anything. I want to explore the house, and I am tired of being told how foolish it is to do so. I am hoping that by raising it here we can move on without this, or (if it is me who is out of step with the tone of this exchange) I can be told that by the ref or other players. Thanks.
Thanks for bringing it up. I will pause the game briefly to give everyone a chance to talk about it and, yes, this is the place.
I will tell you, ooc, that the house is the key to what's going on. Of course, I won't tell you how or why, but that's 'cause I want you guys to figure it out on your own.
Please be respectful in your discussions and please no "just playing the character".

I'm sorry. First, anything I say in character is my character talking to another character. It should never be taken personally. If I had a personal problem, I'd tell the DM and you in PMs. I'm a firm believer in the "talk it out" method of party maintenance. Until you posted this, I had no idea you were taking this personally. I wasn't.

Second, and more in-game, wanting to explore the house isn't our mission and I'm not happy to hear the DM tell us the house is key. Regardless, just because we know there's probably no time limit on finding the apprentice, our characters should not have that impression. And thus a thorough search of the house is also metagamey.

Notice what I posted in this thread last week (#89 above). Terry is feeling ignored and thinks we're wasting time. So she's being surly and ready to say "I told you so" at the drop of a hammer into murky pool releasing 4 undead creatures we really had no reason to disturb, from her point of view. At no time has your character TOLD Terry his intention to search the house thoroughly. So how is she supposed to know that's your intention and who said what you want is what the majority want? Is my character just supposed to do what your character wants?

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I didn't perceive Terrys comments as offensive since they are in-game character speech. Criticizing how others play should be done in OOC, but I had a fellow player rage-quit after his character (LG paladin) and mine (CG bard) had different ideas on how to do things and I went in parallel on the same goal (front assault vs stealth approach) - he decided I wasn't team player although we've been split 2:3 from the start on different approaches and it worked well in first two encounters (obvious targets plus surprise attackers from the rear)

In general, criticizing others play is bad form in the forums...as you all well know. But giving the explanation in the post (as thoughts or just as OOC comment) may prevent these kind of misunderstandings. So bear in mind. You're both long-term members of ENWorld.

For this particular situation: Terry is NOT smart (int 7). She thinks this is not our missions (and she is probably right). BUT. This is the only thing we found in the forest and it is obviously troubled place. From the outside this is small house to go through and we can quickly and easily check it all out. Finding the boy by just randomly walking through the forest will not happen (or at least, the chances are microscopic) - this is common sense, Terry is WIS 20 ;)

I'm not trying to tell how to play her - just noting the stats.

And while we're at it, I just noticed we have
int 7 wis 20
int 11 wis 13
int 6 wis 16
int 15 wis 8

characters - well covered extremes :) if terry watches for the worst of Umbrils recklessnes, he will explain things for her slowly and simply :p

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
There is always a possibility for misunderstanding, and I'm glad it's addressed rather than ignored. What is intended to be friendly banter can be interpreted as criticism, and I'm glad nobody intended criticism of other players.

The whole "do we search the house or the woods" is, regrettably, a case where metagaming seems almost inevitable, which I think is typical for most of these horror scenarios. I'm willing to accept that we need to search the house without a completely satisfactory in-game reason, but I also see how that can be a strain on the willing-suspension-of-disbelief for some.

I'd like to know that everyone is having fun without feeling left out or insulted, both as a player and as a PC.

What does it take for you (and I mean everyone) to continue this game and have fun?

I don't think high wisdom would point Terry toward "hey there's a house let's look there." That's the drunk looking for his keys under the lamppost because the lighting is better wisdom. And this only became an issue when Terry was against disturbing an obvious trap.

I will admit, I haven't been playing her Int to the fullest(? emptiest?). Her retorts were a little too quick. I should have saved her "Told you so" for after the combat. :)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think that's a good idea.

I want to be clear, as a player -- this is not about taking offense; it is about my enjoyment, and I understand different people want different things from a game. I do not enjoy a game where characters undercut one another, and that seems to be the mode we are falling into. I have not said things explicitly to Terry, but I have waited for alternative plans to be posted, and so far there have been none.

You ask, "who said what you want is what the majority want? Is my character just supposed to do what your character wants?" This appears like a question asked in indignation (tone is so hard to read in this medium), but if it is asked sincerely, of course the answer is no one and no. I am not telling anyone how to play their character, nor do I expect the group to continue exploring the house if there is an alternative presented. In the absence of alternative courses of action, though, I would like us all to be supportive of each other ansd of the suspension of disbelief required in a horror situation.

This is a personal opinion, and if it is not shared, I will of course understand. Thanks.

mips42

Adventurer
If this were a real situation, I could see the characters being stressed and "chippy" with each other and maybe that's all it is. But maybe not. I definitely want all the players to have fun if at all possible so, at this point, I'll ask what I can do or do better to help all y'all have more fun.

Remove ads