• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana 5E Psionics Alert! The Mystic Is Back In Unearthed Arcana

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 23.05.19.png
SaveSave
SaveSave

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
It kind saddens me that the concept I had for a sorcerer, focusing on theme of ''self-modification thru magic, melee sorcerer'' is now 1000 more feasable with the mystic. Same for the druid: I can now just take the wu-jen with weather/stone and wood masteries and beast form to create my shape-shifting hermit with powers over the forces of nature, while letting a lot of space for further customization. It does step on many toes, even tho niche protection isnt a big thing in 5e.

I now want to be a Str-based mystic focusing on Giant growth and Fire form, becoming a huge bonfire that has advantage on grapples.

Edit: Oh, and I hope I'll have the occasion to be an Avatar with Giant growth + weather or air masteries and mantle of command in Storm King'd Thunder: I'll just replace the former king and become the head of the Ordning.

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It kind saddens me that the concept I had for a sorcerer, focusing on theme of ''self-modification thru magic, melee sorcerer'' is now 1000 more feasable with the mystic. Same for the druid: I can now just take the wu-jen with weather/stone and wood masteries and beast form to create my shape-shifting hermit with powers over the forces of nature, while letting a lot of space for further customization. It does step on many toes, even tho niche protection isnt a big thing in 5e.

I now want to be a Str-based mystic focusing on Giant growth and Fire form, becoming a huge bonfire that has advantage on grapples.

Edit: Oh, and I hope I'll have the occasion to be an Avatar with Giant growth + weather or air masteries and mantle of command in Storm King'd Thunder: I'll just replace the former king and become the head of the Ordning.
That seems weird to me; why would you be sad that these rules allow you to better build a concept you have? Why be attached to a class name?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
That seems weird to me; why would you be sad that these rules allow you to better build a concept you have? Why be attached to a class name?

Nha, you're right. Its just that I had finally an idea for an original sorcerer niche buid, you know, something proper to the sorcerer, but the mystic just made it more appealing to use that build with a mystic. Its not a bad thing, I've always prefered psionics to sorcerers anyway. But for the sake of fairness, I hope that sorcerers get an update that removes the need of (at least) material components, if the Mystic is to be able to manifest without any component.

G

Guest 6801328

I know y'all are excited about this, but I find it all kind of...underwhelming. Yucky, even (to use a technical term.)

It seems like they just took a whole bunch of ideas for various mechanics, threw them all into a pile, and explained it all by saying, "It's psionics." This almost feels like the core of an entirely different game, maybe a superhero game, in which heroes are the rare few with psionic powers.

Speaking of which, does psionics satisfy warlord fans, because it's not actually magic?

A lot to take in. Since I gave up complaining about UA's for Lent, I will focus on the initial positives:

1) I like the quirks. Honestly, all classes/subclasses should get quirks.

2) I semihumorously called for the psychic warlord the other day, and I got it.

3) I think a lot of outsiders in my game are suddenly going to get a little psychic (mystical?): at the very least, every demon is getting psi points equal to its CR value and the ability to cast (is that the right verb?) mindless courage and overwhelming fury. Crown of disgust will have to find a place in the lower planes too. I will have to think a little on which celestials will get mantle of joy......
Blade meld+Nycaloth makes a pretty good blade archon.

Remove ads

Remove ads