• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5e] QL's Al-Qadim Game

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] : To be clearer (I wrote that just before going to bed): Is it possible for Lal to answer Salahuddin or is he out of position due to his conversation with Derafsh? And did Derafsh had an answer to Lal's question about the Sultan?

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] : To be clearer (I wrote that just before going to bed): Is it possible for Lal to answer Salahuddin or is he out of position due to his conversation with Derafsh? And did Derafsh had an answer to Lal's question about the Sultan?

Oops! I meant to reply to that! OK, just did :)

Yeah, you can answer Salahuddin if you want. Generally, when the party is at rest together and a conversation is clearly intended to be public (Salahuddin asked), then feel free to engage wherever you like.

Quickleaf

Legend
I guess Amina's conversation ended in awkward silence?

...that's actually pretty in-character, come to think of it. :)

Lol :)

So...the last thing "Amina" said was:

[SECTION]"I will tell the vizier what you have said," she replies, still truthfully. "Perhaps she will see in your words a truth that is still closed to me."

"Thank you, Ajun. I think this will help."[/SECTION]

One thing you all should know about about me as DM is that I'm always looking for places/opportunities to drive a scene forward or toward framing a scene transition into the next thing. Often that means I am watching the players for cues (which looks a little different in PbP than face-to-face) to make that transition as natural and seamless as possible. In PbP in particular, I'm on the lookout for undesirable "hang time" where one scene/encounter/day just seems to drag on and on, with players either trying to squeeze as much action as possible into 24 hours, or just posting meaningless bits of dialogue that prolongs a scene's natural end (perhaps out of expectation that they should post? rather than saying "hey, let's move on to the next thing!"), or not posting at all. I like to keep things moving.

For example... Your parting words to Ajan were the kind of thing I could easily play off in my evening narration / transition to dawn post...or even into a random encounter if there was one...like "Amina" leaves Ajan's tent with his parting words "peace, handmaiden, perhaps my cousin will have answers for you come the morrow", and then the narrative would flow naturally from there with something like "and as Amina leaves Ajan's tent, she finds the camels bedding down for the night along with the rest of her traveling companions beneath the brilliant starry night..." or "and as Amina leaves Ajan's tent, she hears sand grinding on rock, footsteps!" (in the case of a random encounter).

Hope that makes sense and gives some insight into how I DM.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Sounds good. Might be a good idea if, when the player is ready to move on, they signal it somehow in the scene. Like, an OOC that says "Ready to move on" or something. Waiting for others to advance the plot can be one of the things that really slow down a game. Something I'm very guilty of.

Shayuri

First Post
For example... Your parting words to Ajan were the kind of thing I could easily play off in my evening narration / transition to dawn post...or even into a random encounter if there was one...like "Amina" leaves Ajan's tent with his parting words "peace, handmaiden, perhaps my cousin will have answers for you come the morrow", and then the narrative would flow naturally from there with something like "and as Amina leaves Ajan's tent, she finds the camels bedding down for the night along with the rest of her traveling companions beneath the brilliant starry night..." or "and as Amina leaves Ajan's tent, she hears sand grinding on rock, footsteps!" (in the case of a random encounter).

No, that makes perfect and utter sense. I was just wondering if such a transition was slated to occur. Then I decided it had already occurred implicitly in your 'moving on' post...I was really just trying to be funny at the expense of my character, not expressing any kind of dissatisfaction with the situation. :)

Matthan

Explorer
I think we're at a decision point as Amina's scene wraps up. Jabir's Tomb for the rogues (and they have already been promised all the treasure, right? I'm not sure why we would go there ourselves?) or the tower for House Bakr. Presumably, either choice will upset the other group. Husam has made his preference known (despite his player wanting to smash some undead), but I think the Vizier has to make the call.

Quickleaf

Legend
I think we're at a decision point as Amina's scene wraps up. Jabir's Tomb for the rogues (and they have already been promised all the treasure, right? I'm not sure why we would go there ourselves?) or the tower for House Bakr. Presumably, either choice will upset the other group. Husam has made his preference known (despite his player wanting to smash some undead), but I think the Vizier has to make the call.

Yep! Thanks Matthan!

One thing that may be relevant (and some of you hadn't joined us yet) is in post 172 in the IC thread...

"The burdens of our transgressions?" Nimar arches a brow, looking at Derafsh with incredulous spite, then his dour expression molds into a toothy smile. "I see. You intend to invoke your father's goodwill? Advise him to grant my family a pardon? Yes, I know you for the Sheikh's daughter, vizier. I know the tribe of your mother, Sheera bint-Tamar, as well. I see much that happens between the desert and the gates," he brags, walking slowly in a half circle before turning back to face Akilah abruptly. "If it is a guide you seek, oh vizier, step into my court..." Twirling his arm in mockery of a bow, Nimar looks up from his smirking brows at her. The six men behind Nimar ease back to let Akilah and Derafsh pass, and Nimar sheathes his scimitar.

"Jabir bin Hayyan was the Sultan's foremost moneylender. After the Sultan's fall, may Fate look upon him in his prison monastery, many treasures from the palace went unaccounted for. Now, everyone knew that the gold-fingered Jabir had secreted away much of the Sultan's wealth, but what no one knew was where. Until," he pauses for dramatic effect, resuming his story as he begins setting up the copper pieces, "the reading of Jabir's will. Choked on coffee mixed with gold. An expensive habit that cost him his life." Nimar grins darkly, finishing setting up his black pieces and begins setting up his pawns. "Jabir had stashed the Sultan's treasure in his very own tomb, where he was buried without even the knowledge of his two sons Anwar and Kalib, who are just as greedy as their father only far more in debt..." When Nimar enunciates the word 'debt', finishing setting up his pawns, it's apparent to Akilah that Jalib's sons are in debt to Nimar. (thanks to passive Insight 19!)

"The location of Jabir's tomb was kept secret by the priests of Jauhar the Gemmed, for it had been decades in construction relying on blindfolded labor. Jabir's greed eclipsed him even in death. However, one of the engineers, a wizard's apprentice, inscribed a map to the tomb from memory and wrote it within his spellbook to avoid suspicion..."

Remove ads