[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
Haha, fair enough, it has been a while! :)

Here's a 60-second recap for you guys [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] [MENTION=48394]pathfinderq1[/MENTION]

You are in Nassau and want to hunt a treasure ship called La Gloriosa.

To accomplish this, you'll need...
  • A Ship. You've identified a beached haunted schooner called The Coral Curse as having potential. You haven't yet spoken with the owner "Blackbeard", you haven't yet removed the djab (dark spirit) Yellow Jack haunting it, and of course you haven't yet repaired it. All you did was take a cursory look and Old Zef [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION]) saw that it was mostly still seaworthy and if properly fixed up could make a fine ship.
  • Crew. 50 men should suffice, of which you've already secured 13 Dutch dwarven deserters and 9 Courlandian mercenary pirates (a total of 22 men so far).
  • Armaments/Provisions. Badouin, the designated purser for the ship assigned by Monsieur du Tourbillon, estimated 1,500 gp would be needed to outfit the ship and crew for a 1-month voyage. His estimates seemed reasonable, though you could shave off a bit in terms of armaments if necessary.

So far, a few things of note have happened...
  • Some of the party were ambushed by tattooed pirates lead by a lycanthropic seawolf named D'avard, who allegedly serves Francois L'Ollonais, a dread pirate and scourge of the Spanish presumed long since dead. D'avard is in the custody of the mage du Tourbillon who's financing your treasure hunt (until you decide otherwise).
  • Some of the party had brief run-ins with a rival privateer captain Read Wallace of the Winchelsea, who is also gearing up to go after the treasure of La Gloriosa. He has a reputation as a ruthless and efficient captain, and his ship is further along than yours.

Queenie said:
Okay, in all seriousness, @Quickleaf I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't recall how things ended up with a couple of people leaving. Should we figure on those cannons being available or are they gone with our comrades?
Yes the cannons are available. We'll say they're waiting for you to pick up at your leisure at Komodo Roy's (the smuggler in the sea caves). The smuggler has a "docile" ogre named Longshanks who can help with cannon-hauling.

The ship is Blackbeard's but I was under the impression that it was abandoned because of the spirit. Is that correct?
That's pretty close. So, a brief history of The Coral Curse (which you guys have learned at this point) is that it was owned by Blackbeard who lent it out to the old Dutch dwarven pirate captain Piet Hien Van Djik. During his pirating, Piet Hien ran afoul of French naval captain Jacques Cassard, and in the midst of their fighting a diseased slave ship was hit with flaming shot. Somehow, the yellow fever afflicting the slaves ended up afflicting The Coral Curse. In short time, it became a plague ship. Only after most of the crew died horribly were they allowed to lay anchor in Nassau. However, things were so bad, the ship was beached during the landing. Only Piet Hien and a handful of dwarves survived but they scarcely spoke of what happened aboard The Coral Curse. Now, a djab (dark spirit) called Yellow Jack / Xekik that embodies yellow fever haunts the ship at night.

Is that a good enough recap for everyone? :)

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
So, I left that post off open ended to try to accommodate whatever needs to happen - some conversations or whatnot. I think Nia and Kat both need to get some sleep at this point. If you want to run Blasie and Etienne through another adventure I guess that could fit there? But I think having the crew all together would probably be best. Everyone rests / does whatever they do at night then have everyone start fresh in the morning all together. Just my $.02! I'd like to get this ship on the seas, so to speak ;)

Matthan

Explorer
For my two cents as the new guy, I think getting everyone together is the best thing to do. The Goblins Stole My Rum! was just meant to get me into contact with the group. We can run it or not, but if everyone is posting again, it's probably best to move the narrative forward as a group.

Besides, I'm fairly sure that Etienne and I will get to hit some things without too much delay if we meet with Blackbeard.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Etienne still need to sell his wares and then invest in the expedition. I'll stay tuned.

[MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] I'm a little confused on what your goal is. You keep mentioning needing to sell your wares... we already have an investor for the trip, so you don't *need* to do that. Etienne is welcome into our group, even if he's just chronicling the journey or whatever else you have planned for him to do.

I waited to respond in the game to give you a chance to answer there. Is there something we can do to help Etienne fit in?

peterka99

First Post
I don't need to roleplay anything. As Ql said, we can move to tomorrow morning. If everyone agree to fast-forward let's say i'm out of debt and free to sail away.

Matthan

Explorer
I think we're all good on the fast forward, but we haven't seen posts from two players. Fenris and pathfinderq1. I think pathfinderq1 mentioned still being here and waiting for the right time to appear, but have we heard from Fenris?

pathfinderq1

First Post
I'll post an intro after the fast forward- I don't want to hang things up when we're ready to move. At this point, assume that Flynn has recently arrived and is "making the rounds", scoping things out, and so on.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] is here, he's just being lazy. Feel free to mock him, that'll make him show up right quick ;)

Joking aside, once we fast forward he'll be here.

Quickleaf

Legend
Ok, fast-forwarding it is, me hearties! I'll have a post up in a minute! :)

pirate_smiley_by_blackbeard_1987.jpg

Remove ads