D&D 5E 5e Surprise and Hiding Rules Interpretation

Jon Gilliam

Explorer
This is the rules you want to play by:

These are the rules as written:

I agree that if you rewrite the rules as written to what you pretend they say, you have a case.

Without that rewrite, you aren't using the rules as written.

That is fine, but don't pretend you are playing RAW. You are restricting surprise by replacing a word in the rules.

Your rules are consistent with themselves, and I hope they make you enjoy the game. Just don't pretend your specific reinterpretation of the rules is what the rules must be read as.

The Sage Advice compendium makes it clear that "you aren't surprised if even one of your foes fails to catch you unawares", and what that means is that noticing a threat and one of your foes not catching you unaware mean the same thing, at least for surprise purposes. The video with Jeremy Crawford I posted a link to makes that fairly clear as well, if you'd care to watch it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around, so if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you."
I fixed the bolding to include something just as important as what you bolded.

In a fight, most creatures are alert to threats. Outside combat, that is not assumed at all.

The idea that you can’t use an unassuming character as bait for an ambush and gain surprise, or surprise someone in a crowd, or that an assassin can’t get surprise in a disguise, is absurd, and very much not RAW or RAI.

Jon Gilliam

Explorer
I fixed the bolding to include something just as important as what you bolded.

In a fight, most creatures are alert to threats. Outside combat, that is not assumed at all.

The idea that you can’t use an unassuming character as bait for an ambush and gain surprise, or surprise someone in a crowd, or that an assassin can’t get surprise in a disguise, is absurd, and very much not RAW or RAI.
You can use an unassuming character as bait as long as they're not an opponent. That assassin's can't get surprise in a disguise is RAW, and not absurd at all. Watch the video linked previously if you want to understand how the 5e designers viewed surprise. Giving a disguised Assassin the ability to surprise allows them to Hide in Plain Sight, which is a 10th level ranger ability. There is no Hide in Plain Sight ability for Assassins.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You can use an unassuming character as bait as long as they're not an opponent. That assassin's can't get surprise in a disguise is RAW, and not absurd at all. Watch the video linked previously if you want to understand how the 5e designers viewed surprise. Giving a disguised Assassin the ability to surprise allows them to Hide in Plain Sight, which is a 10th level ranger ability. There is no Hide in Plain Sight ability for Assassins.
No, it doesn’t. You’re drawing false connections.

Houserules are fine, but this is definitely a houserule, not RAW.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Hiding

• Definition of being "Hidden" : Being "hidden" from an opposing creature means that you could attack that creature without them being able to perceive that your attack is coming.
The definition of being hidden is being both unseen and unheard.

PHB Page 195, "If you are hidden—both unseen and unheard—when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses."

G

Guest 6801328

I had trouble getting my head around the OPs rules. It seems awfully...legal. In my group whoever is DMing interprets the situation as best he/she can, and we're all pretty ok with the result. I guess we each learn each DM's particular style, and try to accommodate it.

But here's a general (slightly off-topic) question for everybody: I've seen comments from many people that suggest they let archers pop out of hiding and get advantage on their attack, but rule that you can't do the same thing with melee because you "can be seen" (at least in theory, if behind the target) and therefore you aren't attacking from Hidden.

1. Isn't that really a matter of degree, though? The archer is unhidden for some amount of time, whereas the melee attacker is unhidden for a generally longer time. But...both have to become unhidden in order to actually attack. It seems like a totally arbitrary (and unsupported by RAW) ruling to give it to ranged but not melee.
  2. Is it really gonna break anything to allow the melee rogue to get advantage this way? It's not like the rogue can Disengage, Hide, and get a bonus attack as a repeatedly tactic every round. Even with swashbuckler or mobile you can still only do 2 of the 3.

Jon Gilliam

Explorer
The definition of being hidden is being both unseen and unheard.

PHB Page 195, "If you are hidden—both unseen and unheard—when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses."

No, that's not the definition of hidden, that's simply specifying what subset of all the circumstances possible for hiding are always required to use the Unseen Attackers and Target rule. For example, you could hide and then begin movement from hiding. As you're doing your movement, you come out of darkness and through a patch of fog where your opponent can see you but not clearly, and then at the end of your movement you're back in darkness again. While in darkness, you're both hidden and able to use the Unseen Attackers and Targets rule, but during your movement through the patch of fog, although you remain hidden, you could not attack at advantage using that rule as you are seen just not clearly.

The side box on p. 177 of the PHB makes it clear that being seen or heard are only guidelines. The errata for the PHB even specifically updates that language to "You can’t hide from a creature that can see you clearly …”, adding the last word. Also if you listen to the Sage Advice video, posted above, Jeremy Crawford makes it clear that hiding takes into account any other criteria the DM believes relevant, and if you listen to this Sage Advice podcast, the designers make it even more clear that they intend for the DM to decide what circumstances are appropriate for hiding, including all of the following:
  • any specific traits or abilities
  • whether the creature can see you
  • whether the creature can hear you
  • whether the creature can perceive your presence in any way
  • whether the creature is distracted
  • whether the creature is in a high state of alert or especially vigilant
  • whether the creature is able to determine your position
  • whether the creature perceives your presence as a potential attacker
  • whether you are leaving any signs of your passage
So, being both unseen and unheard isn't the definition of Hiding under RAW. Gargoyles hide in plain sight, as can 10th level rangers. If you'd just been sprayed by a skunk and smell awful, the DM could decide you're not hidden. The best you can do to provide a definition of hiding is to approach it operationally ... which leads to our definition:

• Definition of being "Hidden" : Being "hidden" from an opposing creature means that you could attack that creature without them being able to perceive that your attack is coming.
That is wide enough to encompass all the other guidelines as well as this condition from the PHB p. 177:

"In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around, so if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you. However, under certain circumstances, the DM might allow you to stay hidden as you approach a creature that is distracted, allowing you to gain advantage on an attack roll before you are seen."

With that provision, it makes clear that being "seen" doesn't mean being in plain sight of a creature, and takes into account the creature's mental. Even an invisible creature that remains unheard may not be hidden. PHB p. 177:

"An invisible creature can't be seen, so it can always try to hide. Signs of its passage might still be noticed, however, and it has to remain quiet".

Jeremy Crawford in the video I linked to previously mentions how an invisible creature jostling a table or causing footprints in the dust could be given away by "signs of its passage," for example.

Last edited:

Jon Gilliam

Explorer
I had trouble getting my head around the OPs rules. It seems awfully...legal. In my group whoever is DMing interprets the situation as best he/she can, and we're all pretty ok with the result. I guess we each learn each DM's particular style, and try to accommodate it.

But here's a general (slightly off-topic) question for everybody: I've seen comments from many people that suggest they let archers pop out of hiding and get advantage on their attack, but rule that you can't do the same thing with melee because you "can be seen" (at least in theory, if behind the target) and therefore you aren't attacking from Hidden.

1. Isn't that really a matter of degree, though? The archer is unhidden for some amount of time, whereas the melee attacker is unhidden for a generally longer time. But...both have to become unhidden in order to actually attack. It seems like a totally arbitrary (and unsupported by RAW) ruling to give it to ranged but not melee.
  2. Is it really gonna break anything to allow the melee rogue to get advantage this way? It's not like the rogue can Disengage, Hide, and get a bonus attack as a repeatedly tactic every round. Even with swashbuckler or mobile you can still only do 2 of the 3.

That's an interesting question ... my take on it is that as long as you don't use any movement from where you're hiding to do your attack, then the circumstances appropriate to hiding likely haven't changed and you can take advantage of the Unseen Attackers rule to to a ranged attack, but that if you move out of that position and approach a creature to do a melee attack that you can't remain in hiding unless the DM decides that the creature being attacked is somehow sufficiently distracted (say if you're emerging from a crowd of people, and the creature was distracted by the movement of the crowd so that they didn't notice you approach). That's from this sentence from the Hiding side-box in the PHB p.177:

In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around, so if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you. However, under certain circumstances, the DM might allow you to stay hidden as you approach a creature that is distracted, allowing you to gain advantage on an attack roll before you are seen.

Jon Gilliam

Explorer
No, it doesn’t. You’re drawing false connections.

Houserules are fine, but this is definitely a houserule, not RAW.

No, this isn't a house rule - it's an interpretation of RAW based on the text of the rulebooks and what the designers have to say about it. You haven't added any argument from a source here - you've just decided to resolve your cognitive dissonance by arguing your case by simply reasserting it. Surprise is determined via Stealth versus passive Perception, in a procedure described mechanically in the PHB, and determining surprise in any other way is a house rule. Disguises are therefore not relevant to surprise unless the DM decides they're relevant to being hidden, and anything other than that is also a house rule. Both of those things are well supported by the source material, and I've provided detailed references to all of them above.
  • Can I initiate surprise by deceiving an adjacent opponent into believing I'm actually an ally and then suddenly attacking? Not unless you are also hidden, since surprise requires hiding. Even if your opponent believes you are an ally, they still remain alert for signs of danger, and unless the DM decides they would be sufficiently visually or mentally distracted, the movement of your attack would be noticed as you began it. The initiative roll would determine who acts first, but if your opponent who had been successfully deceived previously (Insight vs Deception check) wins initiative, they may choose to do nothing to counter your attack on their turn if they momentarily believe the initiation of your action is due to something else other than commencing an attack. If the DM decides all of your opponents for the coming combat are somehow sufficiently distracted by your deception that they wouldn't notice an attack coming, and if the DM decides that all circumstances are otherwise also appropriate for hiding, only then could you attempt to hide in plain sight to them and initiate surprise (and only as long as all of the other members of your side of the combat are also able to hide, in plain sight via distracted opponents or otherwise).
  • Can I initiate surprise by deceiving an adjacent opponent into believing I'm actually an ally and concealing my dagger thrust as I attack? No, because you would have to be hidden to initiate surprise, and if you were able to conceal your attack this way for surprise purposes, you would in effect be hiding in plain sight, which is a special ability of 10th level rangers. Per the rules, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around, and without any special ability or trait indicating otherwise, any concealment of your thrust during attack is included in your bonuses and modifiers on your to hit roll. Note that even the Assassin rogue archetype's "Assassinate" ability doesn't automatically assume you have surprised a creature (since it provides an additional benefit if that is the case), and it doesn't require a Stealth check. Similarly, the rogue's "Sneak Attack" ability doesn't presume you have surprised the target, only that you have advantage on the attack roll.
  • Can a ranger with the Hide in Plain Sight ability attack at advantage using the Unseen Attackers and Targets rule? Yes. Rangers with this ability are in plain sight, but they are hidden and may not be seen because their presence may not be perceived. Camouflage disrupts the visual processing of the eye, in effect giving the ranger a very limited kind of invisibility. When using this ability, opponents with passive Perceptions lower than the ranger's Stealth check not only do not notice their presence and position, they cannot see them without actively searching.
  • Can my character who is not a ranger hide in plain sight by camouflaging themselves? Maybe, since there is the ranger's ability, Hide in Plain Sight, as precedence, although doing so would not provide the other bonuses associated with the ranger ability and would carry all the limitations. The DM would decide if this is possible given the circumstances, how long it might take to set up the camouflage, and what penalty to the Stealth check might apply given the character's amateurish attempt and the difficulty of remaining motionless.
  • Can my character hide for surprise by disguising themselves as a rock? Yes, but only under similar prescriptions as if you tried to hide in plain sight by camouflaging yourself, and the DM decides whether this is possible given the circumstances. The DM could optionally consider the results of some skill check in crafting the disguise (maybe a Nature check would be appropriate) when deciding if the circumstances were appropriate for hiding. If the disguise were poorly enough constructed, it might alert opponents to your position rather than distracting them from your presence.
  • Can I hide in a crowd of people and then initiate surprise by attacking opponents even if they would see me approach from the crowd? The DM would decide based on the circumstances. The DM can choose to allow a character to continue to be hidden as they approach a creature if circumstances would have that creature being distracted, as by a crowd (PHB p. 177, Hiding side box).

Last edited:

Jon Gilliam

Explorer
New FAQ based on my discussion with @Maxperson :

• Can I always use the Unseen Attackers and Targets rule if I'm hidden from my opponent? No, the Unseen Attackers and Targets rule is more strict than the criteria for hiding, requiring you to be both unseen and unheard. An example would be if you hid and then began moving, taking you through an area where you're seen but not clearly seen. As you're doing your movement, you come out of darkness and through a patch of fog where your opponent can see you but not clearly, and then at the end of your movement you're back in darkness again. While in darkness, you're both hidden and able to use the Unseen Attackers and Targets rule, but during your movement through the patch of fog, although you remain hidden, you could not attack at advantage using that rule as you are seen just not clearly. As another example, if your character is invisible but walks through a patch of flour on the floor, during the movement through the flour your character might not be hidden since their signs of passage are giving away their location. However they are still an Unseen Attacker and still an Unseen Target for purposes of that rule.

Last edited:

Remove ads