D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Deities (Part X: Dawn War Deities)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Avandra, Erathis, Melora, Torog, the Raven Queen, and Zehir are all original AFAIK. Bane and Ioun get their names from other settings’ lore but are otherwise original characters with minimal resemblance to their namesakes. And the rest still got facelifts for 4e.
Huh. For some reason I thought Zehir was old. Wasn't sure about Avandra and Melora. Bane is...pretty clearly drawing heavily from the Forgotten Realms Bane. They may be different formally speaking, but the two are very similar in both aesthetics and overall goals (even if it's technically "Tyranny" for the FR Bane and "War" for the PoL Bane, they both want violent conquest...and are both called "The Black Hand.") Ioun I'll grant, because it was a clever use of the name that had gone essentially unexplained for three editions running.

So, about a third of the pantheon is fresh or mostly fresh. And yes, completely agreed on the facelifts. Bahamut prior to 4e was technically more of a minor or intermediate deity, pretty purely focused on draconic interests and only mildly affiliated with general heroism topics. 4e promoted him to being pretty much the god of heroism (protection, hope, and justice).

dave2008

Legend
Huh. For some reason I thought Zehir was old. Wasn't sure about Avandra and Melora. Bane is...pretty clearly drawing heavily from the Forgotten Realms Bane. They may be different formally speaking, but the two are very similar in both aesthetics and overall goals (even if it's technically "Tyranny" for the FR Bane and "War" for the PoL Bane, they both want violent conquest...and are both called "The Black Hand.") Ioun I'll grant, because it was a clever use of the name that had gone essentially unexplained for three editions running.
I don't know much about the FR Bane, but the PoL had very good Deities and Demigods article: Bane It is my understand this treatment is quite a bit different than the FR version.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I was maybe overstating the difference to say he “bore little resemblance to his namesake,” but yeah, they are different in significant ways.
That's fair. For my part, although I recognize that the article calls out how distinct they are, it also says, "They serve roughly the same purpose in the pantheons, their religious precepts have a great deal in common, and they make use of similar tactics and servitors." Those, for me, are enough to say that this is a lot more like "take the FR deity and rewrite it" (as was done with Bahamut or, more noticeably, Asmodeus) rather than "basically a brand-new deity who just coincidentally has the same name."

I really liked the version of Bane in that article.
In general, those Deities and Demigods articles were really quite good. The Bahamut article, for example, is great for a whole host of reasons.

Omand

Hero
Avandra 11
Bahamut 14
Corellon 16
Erathis 13 + 1 = 14
Kord 10 - 2 = 8

Melora 6
Moradin 17
Pelor 3
Raven Queen 8
Sehanine 12

JEB

Legend
Per the 5E DMG, page 11, Erathis was inspired by Athena, Avandra by Tyche, and Zehir by Set. The three created "from scratch" were Ioun, Melora, and Torog. (Two of which, funny enough, have been eliminated...)

Remove ads