• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XI: Rangers)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Swarmkeeper fans downvoting the Hunter:
View attachment 264927

(No judgment; strategic voting is as good a reason as any. Still makes me chuckle.)
Like I said upthread, the Hunter is cool, it just isn’t cool enough to lead the pack. If it ends up top 3, that’s fine, but it was never going to maintain the huge lead that only resulted from everyone having a subclass they disliked enough to ignore the “tall poppy”.
I know right?! I expected those abbreviated subclasses to be removed on Day 1. And I'll never understand the hate for Drakewarden. I've never played it, but I'm reading through it right now and I don't see anything to complain about. Who doesn't want a dragon companion?

I'd name mine Toothless.
I’d love a dragon companion. I might look around 3pp and find a subclass that grants one. What’s it got to do with the drakewarden, though?
It's a relatively short list from what I can tell.
  1. People who hate anything draconic, because players aren't allowed to have impressive powers due to a connection to dragons. Such fun is forbidden.
  2. People who think it's over-hyped...which is hilarious given how determined the haters were here. It went out before Beast Master for God's sake.
  3. People strategically voting against something they think is likely to win. See point 2 for why that is, again, bitterly hilarious.
  4. People jumping on the hate train because it's more effective to vote down things other people have already voted down.
Pretty much in that order.
Or, being less reductive of other people’s preferences and opinions, it’s because it’s a weird subclass that has little if any connection to being a ranger, and just isn’t what those of us who dislike it wanted from a draconic themed ranger subclass.

delph

Explorer
Beast Master 16
Fey Wanderer 12
Gloom Stalker 28
Horizon Walker 20
Hunter 27
Monster Slayer 13
Primeval Guardian 18
Swarmkeeper 16

niklinna

satisfied?
Beast Master 16
Fey Wanderer 10
Gloom Stalker 28
Horizon Walker 18
Hunter 27
Monster Slayer 13
Primeval Guardian 19
Swarmkeeper 17

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Beast Master 16
Fey Wanderer 10 + 1 = 11
Gloom Stalker 28 - 2 = 26

Horizon Walker 18
Hunter 27
Monster Slayer 13
Primeval Guardian 19
Swarmkeeper 17

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I’d love a dragon companion. I might look around 3pp and find a subclass that grants one. What’s it got to do with the drakewarden, though?
....it has a dragon companion. That's what it's got to do with it. It is literally a "draconic spirit" which can assume a "physical form." It is a dragon companion. It literally starts out as a Small Dragon and grows to being a Medium Dragon and then a Large Dragon, wings and all.

Or, being less reductive of other people’s preferences and opinions, it’s because it’s a weird subclass that has little if any connection to being a ranger, and just isn’t what those of us who dislike it wanted from a draconic themed ranger subclass.
I just...I don't understand how it can be a "weird subclass that has little if any connection to being a ranger." It's a ranger with a draconic animal companion. That's literally what it is. You focus on making your dragon-friend better at being a dragon-friend, and get perks in the process, like resistance to its elemental essence.

What more could you possibly want from a dragon-themed ranger? You literally get a dragon friend and draconic benefits!

Skayaq

Explorer
Beast Master 17
Fey Wanderer 9

Gloom Stalker 26
Horizon Walker 18
Hunter 28
Monster Slayer 11
Primeval Guardian 19
Swarmkeeper 17

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012