• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e Warlord Demand Poll

How much demand is there for a dedicated warlord class??

• I am a player/DM of 5e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 61 26.3%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with WotC's current offerings for a warlord-esque class

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with the current 3rd party offerings for a warlord class

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 94 40.5%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satyrn

First Post
Maybe someone should put together a list of everyone who is "a warlord fan" and those who "aren't warlord fans" so we can keep track? Don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be caught fraternizing with the other side...

Well, I'd say this is the completely wrong thread for you, then. wink.png

Satyrn

First Post
Why? Which camp am I in?

I don't think I needed to know that. Since the basis of my joke is that both camps are in full force, focused in this thread, whichever one you're in, you're necessarily fraternizing with the other.
Unless you've blocked so many posters you're only seeing half the thread rimshot.gif

Tony Vargas

Legend
Huh. The poster who started this thread isn't a warlord fan. Several of the other threads in this vein have also been started by posters who aren't warlord fans.
Most people aren't D&D fans, let alone warlord fans. As this poll illustrates, as with most classes, there's more indifference than anything else - we each have only so many favorite classes, afterall. "Not a Warlord fan" may not mean what you seem to be implying.

This thread and those others have felt like my likes being shouted down.
And now it looks like their ranting has worked on you.
Yay!
I know you didn't mean this seriously, but there is a grain of truth to it. Divisive drawn-out threads are not fueled by indifference, nor even by enthusiasm, but by hostility & defensiveness, and that negativity taints the topic, and only works against the side that's arguing for it.

Unless you've blocked so many posters you're only seeing half the thread View attachment 82820
Corwin only blocks reciprocally, and he's been as good as his word on that count with me. I suspect that does count as 'fraternizing,' BTW, and that he was being ironic. We're all in the 5e D&D fraternity, here.

Heck, we should have pins.

Yeah, red enamel '&' pins.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
No skin in this fight whatsoever, but this isn't like to like at all. I don't know if you have a very nuanced view of the ninja trope in general, but the 5e Way of the Shadow Monk accomplishes pretty much all of the classic Ninja tropes (and it says its a Ninja on the tin as I know that matters to some folks). If you couple that with Rogue Sneak Attack/Expertise/Uncanny Dodge and the Assassination subclass (as you mention) you have pretty much all of the 1e OA Ninja (except sub spending ki for phasing through walls for darkness/silence/pass w/o trace as well as the base Monk stuff + at-will shadow jump + outright invisibility later) and 2e AD&D Ninja except a supercharged version with profoundly more (thematic) offense, (thematic) passive and activatable defense, (thematic) mystical utility, relative competency against obstacles faced. Altogether, you have significantly more agency in imposing your ninja archetype upon play.

And from a first principles perspective, you start with a coherent mechanical and thematic chassis with no wasted build components.

The Warlord, on the hand, is a martial support character. Coherently carving that out of the Bard chassis (arcane support character with tons of magical utility) or the Fighter chassis (martial multi-attacker) is rife with thematic or mechanical incoherency and wasted build components.
If it's fine for you to say to someone to build their favourite class from the various components in the game then I think it's fair for others to say the same about people asking for a warlord, build it out of the current options.

Corwin

Explorer
I don't think I needed to know that. Since the basis of my joke is that both camps are in full force, focused in this thread, whichever one you're in, you're necessarily fraternizing with the other.
Unless you've blocked so many posters you're only seeing half the thread
A least you moved on to "jokes". Because your original premise I responded to, of there being two diametrically opposed camps, is ridiculous.

Satyrn

First Post
A least you moved on to "jokes". Because your original premise I responded to, of there being two diametrically opposed camps, is ridiculous.

But I never moved on to "jokes" - it's where I started. I guess the "Yay" didn't work as well as the wink or the drummer, although I did get a laugh from Tony.

But seriously (well not really) I'm rather hurt you put jokes in scare quotes.

Corwin

Explorer
Well yeah. Which is why my responses have included a wink and a little drummer to emphasize the punchline.
Oh, that makes sense. Okay. Lemme try:

You attempt to marginalize the *majority* of posters in these threads, by shoehorning them into a single easily dismiss-able camp, is transparent and insulting.
attachment.php
attachment.php

[^ Look a winky and a drummer. I'm being humorous!]

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
Huh. The poster who started this thread isn't a warlord fan. Several of the other threads in this vein have also been started by posters who aren't warlord fans. This thread and those others have felt like my likes being shouted down.

And now it looks like their ranting has worked on you.

Yay!
Not funny. Not even a "joke", AFAICT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads