D&D 5E 5e's underwhelming releases

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
ok, I may have been over dramatic, but does that mean in your mind The companies going forward earlier (goodman, and the frog god) are being the reverse of 'having good manors' witch is to say rude?

I know and like the people involved in both companies. I'm not going to say mean things about them, and have no insight into their plans or reasoning. I can only speak to what I have chosen to do myself: wait until WotC offers a license, which I'll gladly look at. I personally consider that my ethically correct route.

Votan

Explorer
I know and like the people involved in both companies. I'm not going to say mean things about them, and have no insight into their plans or reasoning. I can only speak to what I have chosen to do myself: wait until WotC offers a license, which I'll gladly look at. I personally consider that my ethically correct route.

That is pretty wise. You never know the whole story of what is or is not happening, and something that looks reckless could be completely different in the context of non-public information

aramis erak

Legend
Please excude my ignorance here all, but what does having an OGL allow that isn't already being done by companies like Goodman Games?

http://www.goodman-games.com/5eproducts.html

The trademarks and compatibility logos, plus exact text as allowed by the license.

Unlicensed use of text-only reference of compatibility is allowed in the US per prior TSR litigation. (Either TSR vs Judge Guild or TSR vs Mayfair. I forget which one was settled, and which one went to the judge. Both involved compatibility indications.)

Graphical logos are a trademark infringement.

Graphical compatibility logos really do help sell products. Even if those products turn out to be utterly lame.

Krypter

Explorer
HOTDQ has some problems but it isn't that bad. I'm running it and with a bit of modding it's quite a memorable romp across the Sword Coast. And it gets much better in The Rise of Tiamat, the second part.

Some problems were definitely the result of a system that hadn't been released yet, but others (like the geographic positioning of major plot locales) were the result of poor planning on the part of the writers.

I expect the next batch of adventures, formed after the 3 core books have come out, will be qualitatively better.

Remove ads